• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do people ship their sold slabs in?
2 2

15 posts in this topic

On 11/20/2022 at 4:08 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Are the edges of the slab right up against the sides of the box?

The slab is 8 inches wide and 13 inches long

The padded envelope is 11.25 inches wide and 15 inches long

The box interior is 12.5 inches wide and 16 inches long.

So there's a bit more than 2 inches on either side of the slab and 1.5 inches at each of the top and bottom.  Allegedly, the popcorn fills in that "open" area.  I've probably received a dozen slabs from ComicLink - 4 of which were shipped as single slabs - without a problem. Not a huge sample size, obviously.

On 11/20/2022 at 1:16 PM, Will96 said:

I was looking on Amazon for different types of boxes & packing material for ideas that will cost effectively & safely ship a slabbed comic....

I ship slabs in medium flat rate priority mail boxes. I score the end to give it an extra half inch of room and they fit perfect (wrapped many, many, many times in bubble wrap).

On 11/20/2022 at 10:26 PM, wormboy said:

I ship slabs in medium flat rate priority mail boxes. I score the end to give it an extra half inch of room and they fit perfect (wrapped many, many, many times in bubble wrap).

Thanks' an idea.... I have boxes around that size that I use for other things, but they're just a hair to small for a slab & cushioning material.

On 11/20/2022 at 9:26 PM, wormboy said:

I'm showing my ignorance, but what does "score the end" mean?

On 11/21/2022 at 9:19 AM, Kevin76 said:

I use boxes that are 16 X 12 X 4,  I use 40# kraft paper from a roll as filler.  

I prefer this over the popcorn. I saw some paper mesh that is supposed to work like bubble wrap. I might look into that as well assuming it's not priced though the roof.

Bags Unlimited sells cardboard slab mailers, but only for one slab.  I haven't purchased any in a while, so I don't know if they still have them or how much.

USPS Priority Mail box for up to three, with bubble wrap.  More then that, I use whatever is the safest and sturdiest, but NOT an old CGC shipping box. lol

On 11/20/2022 at 11:28 PM, Math Teacher said:

I'm showing my ignorance, but what does "score the end" mean?

Slice a line in the cardboard, but not all the way through, about a half inch past the normal fold line. Then use the cut as the new fold line, giving an extra half inch of length to the box. I find it’s just a tad tight without the extra room.

On 11/21/2022 at 7:30 PM, wormboy said:

Slice a line in the cardboard, but not all the way through, about a half inch past the normal fold line. Then use the cut as the new fold line, giving an extra half inch of length to the box. I find it’s just a tad tight without the extra room.

Very good idea. I use med flat rate long boxes and I just add tons of cardboard. By the time I am done its pretty much bomb proof. 

Ive seen pool noodles used as well, but I was never brave enough.