• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

YouTube video about MyComicShop and ComicLink
9 9

237 posts in this topic

I can say with delight that MCS is the fastest shipper of the big 4 and they could take a lesson from them. And auction payouts! Faster of the big 4. Unfortunately they don't get as much exposer as the others. 

YouTuber has deep pockets and I'd be looking at a good defamation suit for this BS

On 11/25/2022 at 7:18 PM, Courageous Cat said:

I can say with delight that MCS is the fastest shipper of the big 4 and they could take a lesson from them. And auction payouts! Faster of the big 4. Unfortunately they don't get as much exposer as the others. 

YouTuber has deep pockets and I'd be looking at a good defamation suit for this BS

Is Conan a flasher because frankly I wouldn't want him getting exposure for being an Exposer

Edited by blazingbob

On 11/25/2022 at 7:16 PM, ThothAmon said:

Really?  Your use of the term misleading implies intent.  As a frequent customer of MCS and subscriber to GPA I for one don’t feel misled, intentionally or otherwise. 

Yes, really. When GPA subscribers see a sale from May that is being represented as a sale from November...that is a misleading piece of information and reporting. It doesn't mean MCS was intentionally trying to be misleading. We don't know that. I have stated this multiple times. Not trying to be condescending at all, but would like to understand which part of that is still confusing.

On 11/25/2022 at 8:31 PM, Motor City Rob said:

It doesn't mean MCS was intentionally trying to be misleading. We don't know that. 

This is the part people have a problem with.  You keep qualifying your statements.

We do know that MCS was not trying to intentionally mislead.  They've come in here and addressed it directly.  They explained exactly what happened and the reasons for it and it made perfect sense.  They've contacted George at GPS and had discussions on the best way to handle the issue.  We do know that as well as anyone could expect to know it.

What are you wanting?  Do we need to hook up everyone involved to a lie detector and threaten them with prison if they fail it?  Or should we just start throwing qualified statements like this out at everyone?  Nobody is saying you're a serial killer either.  Because we don't know that.  Do statements like that sound ok to you?

On 11/25/2022 at 9:53 PM, Domo Arigato said:

This is the part people have a problem with.  You keep qualifying your statements.

We do know that MCS was not trying to intentionally mislead.  They've come in here and addressed it directly.  They explained exactly what happened and the reasons for it and it made perfect sense.  They've contacted George at GPS and had discussions on the best way to handle the issue.  We do know that as well as anyone could expect to know it.

What are you wanting?  Do we need to hook up everyone involved to a lie detector and threaten them with prison if they fail it?  Or should we just start throwing qualified statements like this out at everyone?  Nobody is saying you're a serial killer either.  Because we don't know that.  Do statements like that sound ok to you?

I don't think it's a matter of me or anyone else wanting anything other than the problem to be fixed, which is what GPA seemingly did. And I applaud them for that.

The serial killer comparison is slightly odd since there isn't a trail of dead bodies anywhere, as far as I know. Maybe a slightly less sinister comparison might foster better discussion? 

On 11/25/2022 at 9:21 PM, Motor City Rob said:

I don't think it's a matter of me or anyone else wanting anything other than the problem to be fixed, which is what GPA seemingly did. And I applaud them for that.

The serial killer comparison is slightly odd since there isn't a trail of dead bodies anywhere, as far as I know. Maybe a slightly less sinister comparison might foster better discussion? 

I used that extreme because you seem to keep missing the point people are making.  As a side note regarding your objection.....there are currently more than 200,000 unsolved murders in the U.S.....and the FBI estimates there are 25 to 50 active serial killers in the U.S. at any given time.....so hide your Fruity Pebbles. 

The point is, there are other ways to state what you're saying without having an underlying tone of accusation to it.  

I can see why some people might be upset with the way it was being reported.  So, for example, you could simply state that you don't believe there was any intentional deception going on, but you think the way it's been reported is the wrong way to do it, and I think they should do it this way.

It's the additional "as far as we know" type of qualifiers being added to the "misleading" or "deceptive" parts that several people are taking exception with.  There has been absolutely no indication at all that this particular scenario was intentional or even forseen when MCS first started reporting to GPA.....since they didn't offer time payments at that point.  They explained their current process in detail and it made perfect sense. 

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 11/25/2022 at 10:49 PM, Domo Arigato said:

I used that extreme because you seem to keep missing the point people are making.  As a side note regarding your objection.....there are currently more than 200,000 unsolved murders in the U.S.....and the FBI estimates there are 25 to 50 active serial killers in the U.S. at any given time.....so hide your Fruity Pebbles. 

The point is, there are other ways to state what you're saying without having an underlying tone of accusation to it.  

I can see why some people might be upset with the way it was being reported.  So, for example, you could simply state that you don't believe there was any intentional deception going on, but you think the way it's been reported is the wrong way to do it, and I think they should do it this way.

It's the additional "as far as we know" type of qualifiers being added to the "misleading" or "deceptive" parts that people are taking exception with.  There has been absolutely no indication at all that this particular scenario was intentional or even forseen when MCS first started reporting to GPA.....since they didn't offer time payments at that point.  They explained their current process in detail and it made perfect sense. 

Probably unlikely that anyone can word things perfectly to cater to every single person's sensitivity or triggers. If you're offended by something said to you, that's on you and nobody else. Your idea of proper communication isn't necessarily right for everyone either, and maybe you offend people as well. 

In addition, something that makes "perfect sense" to you doesn't mean you're correct and everyone else is wrong for possibly being a little more thoughtful and asking more questions. You're going down the path in dealing in absolutes.

On 11/25/2022 at 9:31 PM, Motor City Rob said:

Yes, really. When GPA subscribers see a sale from May that is being represented as a sale from November...that is a misleading piece of information and reporting. It doesn't mean MCS was intentionally trying to be misleading. We don't know that. I have stated this multiple times. Not trying to be condescending at all, but would like to understand which part of that is still confusing.

The part where it wasn't a sale in May. 

On 11/26/2022 at 1:03 AM, Domo Arigato said:

Nobody is saying things have to be worded perfectly, and nobody seems triggered or offended.  To put qualifiers on statements, and insinuate things just because you can, is being purposefully obtuse....especially after it's been pointed out to you by several people.  Most of your posts in this thread have been accusatory and misleading, and while we can point out the obvious to you, we can't make you understand it.

That's not what MCS said.  In their conversation about the best way to address situations like this in the future, MCS stated that GPA asked if MCS was ok with moving the sale back to May.  MCS said they were ok with this and gave GPA the date to use.  Only then did GPA move it.  For whatever reason, you seem intent on twisting things around and insinuating this could have been intentional, when it was obviously just an unforseen circumstance.

Yes, seems like we will just keep going in circles. I will continue to say that the way MCS reported was misleading, although there is no concrete proof that they were or were not intentionally trying to deceive, and you will keep quoting me saying you don't like how I word things. In the end, a problem was uncovered, and then fixed. Hopefully we can at least agree on the last part. 

On 11/26/2022 at 10:22 AM, troy.division said:

Question for the brain trust from someone that does not have GPA.
My personal collection is over 75% Signature Series.
Is there a way to search by signature?

In GPA, yes you can filter for Signuture Series. The data is usually more scarce for SS so the prices could be more volatile. As far as outside GPA, I'm not sure if there's a good way to find SS values. 

On 11/25/2022 at 5:50 PM, namisgr said:

It would also be misleading to report a book to GPA as having been sold for which the prospective buyer never completes the time payments, and hence, the sale.  This is a rationale why a book would not be reported as having been sold on the day a transaction was begun, but instead when it was completed.

This line of thinking has the appearance of making sense, but (and take note @Larryw7 and @Lazyboy ) it doesn't.

Between these two scenarios, which is more misleading?:

1. Reporting the sale of a book when the final payment was made. The book was purchased for $100,000 6 months ago, and paid off today. However, today (6 months since the sale) the FMV for the book is now $60,000 instead of $100,000. So in 6 months the price dropped quite a lot. But reporting the sale at the last payment puts this $100,000 sale on GPA today and everyone else not associated with the sale says: "Hey look! the book just sold for $40,000 more than current FMV, it's going back up!!". Now you have a false sense of increased FMV which is... well, incredibly misleading.

2. Reporting the sale when the sale happens. The book was purchased for $100,000 6 months ago. Sale gets reported 6 months ago because that's when the terms and conditions of the sale dictate the buyer is agreeing to paying the price (see what I did there). But oh no! Now three months in, the buyer realizes they are in over their head and can't complete the sale. Since the sale isn't completely paid for, the seller contacts GPA and lets them know and the $100,000 sale is removed from GPA. But now (3 months later) the FMV is half way to it's $60,000 drop and the book is worth $80,000. So while the book is worth $80,000, the sale of the $100,000 is removed and has no effect on new sales of the book. IF anything, those who see the sale removed would see it as an indicator that the price is indeed $80,000 and falling.

Imagine for a second that homeowners reported sale of a house happened 30 years after purchase. Because that's when it was paid off. lol

Despite any allowance of abuse of over-reporting sales that aren't paid for, there are way more issues with reporting a sale when it was completed than there are reporting a sale when it actually happened. The market exists in real time.

On 11/26/2022 at 10:56 AM, ThothAmon said:

Imagine if every accepted offer for a home was reported as a sale?  lol

Yeah, that would be crazy! Just as crazy as any accepted offer for a comic reported a sale! Good thing myself (and no one else I can see) is or was advocating for that because I'm looking at sales not just accepted offers lol

On 11/26/2022 at 10:57 AM, namisgr said:

Neither.  It is flat-out misleading to post to GPA an alleged sale of a comic book that isn't actually completed, and so is not a sale.

So your opinion is that any sale with time payments shouldn't be recorded. Unfortunately, the market exists in reality, so good luck isolating all those sales from auction houses and platforms.

Thankfully (non-sales not paid off) as you say are in such a small minority, it would be counterintuitive to dismiss all other legitimate time payment sales at the sake of them. You do understand if this was such a large issue, MCS and auction houses wouldn't offer time payments because it would be against their best interest of getting paid (aside from the whole binding contract in certain instances).

Edited by Phill the Governor

On 11/26/2022 at 9:07 AM, Phill the Governor said:

Yeah, that would be crazy! Just as crazy as any accepted offer for a comic reported a sale! Good thing myself (and no one else I can see) is or was advocating for that because I'm looking at sales not just accepted offers lol

So your opinion is that any sale with time payments shouldn't be recorded. Unfortunately, the market exists in reality, so good luck isolating all those sales from auction houses and platforms.

Thankfully (non-sales not paid off) as you say are in such a small minority, it would be counterintuitive to dismiss all other legitimate time payment sales at the sake of them. You do understand if this was such a large issue, MCS and auction houses wouldn't offer time payments because it would be against their best interest of getting paid (aside from the whole binding contract in certain instances).

What happens when a time payment isn't made? If the alleged buyer defaults, I'd imagine MCS keeps what was paid and goes about re-selling the book.There is a whole cottege industry in NYC of selling immigrants businesses on time payments. Most fall behind and the seller reclaims the business, pockets the 50% he's gotten and sells it over again. 

I'd say the hatchet job of a video exposed a weakness in how gpa is reported and Conan and GPA fixed the problem as soon as they were aware of it.

People of good will recognize it and appreciate the effort the two of them worked on to correct it.  You can't please everyone, and you shouldn't waste your time trying to. 

On 11/26/2022 at 11:07 AM, Phill the Governor said:

Good thing myself (and no one else I can see) is or was advocating for that because I'm looking at sales not just accepted offers

We obviously see things differently. An accepted offer on a comic book, purchased on layaway, is not a “sale” in my opinion until the agreed upon price is fully paid and the book changes hands. To call the date of the final payment the sale date is accurate and not “misleading”. In the real estate scenario it’s when the seller gets his money at the closing, not when the 3rd party mortgagee is paid off. lol  Ask Elon Musk what the sale date of Twitter was if you have any questions.