• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

School Library Recalls All Graphic Novels After Lawuit By One Parent. Students Suffer.
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Now any graphic novel will have to be checked page-by-page and manually approved before it's shelved at the school library. This happened after the parent sued the school after his teenaged child read Craig Thompson's Blankets. Said parent is thrilled with the outcome. 

https://www.vice.com/amp/en/article/g5vnqb/it-only-takes-one-parent-to-get-all-the-graphic-novels-removed-from-a-school-library?utm_source=reddit.com

‘It led to the Owasso School Board recently approving a new policy which requires every page of every graphic novel in the library to be screened for “potential material involving sexually explicit content and extreme vulgarity.” ‘
(quote from article)

Keeping in mind it’s a school vs. public library this doesn’t ring the bell of outrage to me. Plus every page of that graphic novel is available online. 

On 11/26/2022 at 9:06 AM, lordbyroncomics said:

I mean, conservative parents are getting graphic novels about Anne Frank pulled from public libraries. It's staggering but sadly not shocking. History repeats itself.

Looks like blatant politics and Fake news. Please provide details?
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2022/08/29/fact-check-anne-frankes-diary-available-texas-students/7903221001/

Edited by ThothAmon

On 11/26/2022 at 9:09 AM, ThothAmon said:

Not blatant politics on my part. I read it in the Washington Post a few months back- if I'm wrong and this was indeed a false report, I apologize. I would have had no reason to doubt it based on the dozens of other book bans in Georgia and other States.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/08/18/anne-frank-book-school-texas/

On 11/26/2022 at 6:09 AM, ThothAmon said:

perhaps before you go accusing people of spreading fake news, it might be more useful to ask where the story came from. byron may have misread the idea that the novel itself was pulled from shelves when it was apparently the graphic novel version. and it's a shame that the washington post can't be bothered to put an addendum at the bottom of this article stating that one week later the graphic novel was returned to the shelves of the library. but his post is clearly in good faith and the fact is that most media now are more interested in the first, sensational headline than the less controversial resolution that may come a few weeks later. 

On 11/26/2022 at 8:54 AM, Cat said:

Now any graphic novel will have to be checked page-by-page and manually approved before it's shelved at the school library. This happened after the parent sued the school after his teenaged child read Craig Thompson's Blankets. Said parent is thrilled with the outcome. 

https://www.vice.com/amp/en/article/g5vnqb/it-only-takes-one-parent-to-get-all-the-graphic-novels-removed-from-a-school-library?utm_source=reddit.com

Sounds like books were being put on school library shelves without being fully reviewed. If that results in creating a review process for the school library...sounds like a good thing to me. Now it all depends on who creates the criteria for determining what stays and what goes.....but in general, a review process seems like common sense. 

On 11/26/2022 at 10:20 AM, alexgross.com said:

perhaps before you go accusing people of spreading fake news

Perhaps, just perhaps I was responding to bombast with bombast. 

it might be more useful to ask where the story came from

My post was immediately edited to do just that. Mostly because I was concerned Texas might not be what he was referring to. 

clearly in good faith

Don’t dispute that other than his use of “conservative “. 

On 11/27/2022 at 3:02 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Don’t worry.  I’m sure this muppet will sue the internet next....:insane:

The internet is represented in court by a racist furry. 

On 11/26/2022 at 7:05 AM, ThothAmon said:

‘It led to the Owasso School Board recently approving a new policy which requires every page of every graphic novel in the library to be screened for “potential material involving sexually explicit content and extreme vulgarity.” ‘
(quote from article)

Teaching oral sex and transgender topics to 5th graders still ok, though.

What a great use of tax dollars: creating a "Administrator of Graphic Novel Content Screening and Approval" job position where some numbnut makes $135k a year to read comic books. :tonofbricks:

On 11/26/2022 at 10:31 AM, ThothAmon said:

I resemble that remark. Sign me up! Though I doubt I’d last long. :devil:

I dunno, I think it takes quite a bit to get fired from a government job. lol As long as you weren't reading the new Grimm Fairy Tales on the job, you'd be there for life!

On 11/26/2022 at 10:26 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Teaching oral sex and transgender topics to 5th graders still ok, though.

What a great use of tax dollars: creating a "Administrator of Graphic Novel Content Screening and Approval" job position where some numbnut makes $135k a year to read comic books. :tonofbricks:

I am available.