• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this GA staple look ok to you?

14 posts in this topic

On 11/30/2022 at 4:18 PM, Pantodude said:

Pehaps the OP is inquiring whether there is reason to doubt that it is an original staple, i.e., vintage GA staple?  If so, :popcorn:

yes, I'm questioning if the staple was replaced because it pretty messy IMO.  Also advertised as an 8 and now I'm questioning that with this staple issue. 

other staple is perfect but I'd show the whole image but pulled the image and I didn't save it. Only issue on the book is that upper staple in question . To make life easier, dealer canceled order to avoid a potential headache 

Edited by Courageous Cat

On 11/30/2022 at 1:38 PM, Courageous Cat said:

other staple is perfect

They both oughta match, color and lengthwise.  This one looks to be too short, and the  apparent wear on both the cover and interior page certainly suggests manipulation. 

But I think your gut instinct recognized that.

On 11/30/2022 at 2:58 PM, Courageous Cat said:

Opinions

What you will get based on a single photo.

BTW, In my opinion it looks fine.

Have to see the other one to have a solid opinion, but those photos definitely make my spider senses tingle. I'd be concerned that it's a replacement, possibly of the wrong size/vintage.

On 11/30/2022 at 2:58 PM, Courageous Cat said:

Was suppose to be buying this raw from dealer but upon closer inspection of photo provided by dealer, the staple in my opinion looks questionable, but dealer assured me it's fine. Opinions matters on this rather expensive book. Thank you

thumbnail.jpeg

thumbnail-1.jpeg

I'll tell you with 100% certainty, that's a staple! :sumo:

:cheers:

On 11/30/2022 at 1:58 PM, Courageous Cat said:

Was suppose to be buying this raw from dealer but upon closer inspection of photo provided by dealer, the staple in my opinion looks questionable, but dealer assured me it's fine. Opinions matters on this rather expensive book. Thank you

thumbnail.jpeg

thumbnail-1.jpeg

Does the bend of the tines look similar to the other staple?  In general, tines of GA books were bent in a bit more of a crescent-shaped curve rather than straight like these, but there are no absolutes by a long shot.  So you need to look at both staples to see if they are bent similarly.  

The look on the outside is good (nice oxidation and such), but the staple looks modern with the inside photo...  (shrug)  Maybe just the lighting.

ADD: There's no rust on the paper...  why would anyone replace the staple?

Edited by Yorick
additional thought

On 12/1/2022 at 9:59 AM, Yorick said:

The look on the outside is good (nice oxidation and such), but the staple looks modern with the inside photo...  (shrug)  Maybe just the lighting.

ADD: There's no rust on the paper...  why would anyone replace the staple?

Sometimes there was glue, rice paper, etc., and someone will remove the cover to "unrestore" a book, which is where you'll see something like this.  I agree with you, the outside of this staple looks fine, the inside looks a little off.  

On 12/1/2022 at 2:36 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

I'll tell you with 100% certainty, that's a staple! :sumo:

:cheers:

DM me your address. I've got a longbox full of moderns & gonna need you to verify them all.  :banana: