• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Comics 252. Should I get this pressed?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

It has an older label so I'm assuming this was never pressed/cleaned.  But I'm noticing a good chunk of color missing on Superman's Suit, a dog ear at the top right corner, not sure what to make of those staples, and of course not sure how much writing on the cover affects the grade.

Thanks in advance

Action252.jpg

Edited by Bigphatpaulie

Front & back photos needed, also in this case the CGC registry number. There are clearly some digits I am incorrectly interpreting. You would be looking for defects that aren't color breaking. There are plenty that are, and the plastic case hides indentions and whatnot pretty well 

Yeah those damn 1st gen labels are impossible to see from photos lol. Provide the serial number, upload a back cover and can give a better assessment. Just from the front though yeah I’d say worth it potentially soo far.

Appreciate the replies so far.  I'll upload pictures shortly.  In the meantime, here is the certification number:

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/0014777016/

Grader Notes

Back Cover Small Tape Stain
Left Bottom Back Cover Medium Crease
Left Center Back Cover Crease
Left Center Back Cover Small Stain
Spine Wear Breaks Color
Top Front Cover Marker/Pen

my read of those notes is that 2 stains & color breaking spine wear are going to limit the ceiling regardless. When we see the reverse, the back creases can be assessed. The one thing I see is the notation of the date marking. IDK what the standards were in 2002, but these distribution/store marks might be treated less harshly now. I don't think it buys a lot, but maybe 1 grade if the current standards are more lenient?

On 12/3/2022 at 11:10 AM, Bigphatpaulie said:

It has an older label so I'm assuming this was never pressed/cleaned.  But I'm noticing a good chunk of color missing on Superman's Suit, a dog ear at the top right corner, not sure what to make of those staples, and of course not sure how much writing on the cover affects the grade.

Thanks in advance

aAction252.jpg

Assuming the back cover is similar to the front I'll take 5.0s like that all day.  It ain't perfect but it's a beautiful book and may garner a better grade with a resubmit

I could see this as a 5.5 but probably not higher. I doubt it would drop below a 5.0 if regraded so you have that going for you.

Thanks for posting.

Much appreciated.  The majority of my collection are modern 9.8 books so I'm no expert with other tiers.  My interest and collection is shifting more towards the golden age but some silver. 

I actually bid on this book by accident.  I wanted to win the 7.0 copy but didn't bid on that until I could get Comic Link's Permission to retract the bid on this 5.0.  They rejected my request and I ended up winning this.  At first I was mad because the 7.0 sold for $4600 but looking at this issue in hand, I'm happy with it.  Probably the cleanest 5.0 I've encountered. 

Edited by Bigphatpaulie

On 4/28/2023 at 1:50 PM, Hudson said:

IMO - Beautiful book.  Leave it alone.  Congrats on owning such a nice copy. 

I agree here, and the old labels are cool.  I wouldn't even think about doing anything to this book until you are ready to sell it.  I doubt that grading standards are going to get tougher in the future.