• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Covers depicting "Alternative Lifestyles"

99 posts in this topic

you are such a small man dl . . . grin.gif

yup, you're an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. thumbsup2.gif

me? 2182.jpg27_laughing.gif

Yup, you. Complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person. thumbsup2.gif

3137.jpg

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

screwy.gif
yeahok.gif
893censored-thumb.gif
you are such a small man dl . . . grin.gif
revising my previous statement.

You are redundant, unoriginal, and an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. thumbsup2.gif

Btw, "Alternative lifestyles" implies that people chose to live a certain life. I don't believe this to be so. Why would someone choose to be gay?

I'm not sure that there's any "choice" implicit in the term "alternative". However, alternative simply means another option - and therefore ANY other lifestyle (including bestiality, pedophilia, etc) is BY DEFINITION an alternative lifestyle. Alternative lifestyle is not a term that is restricted to homosexuals, as deathlok would have us believe.

"An alternative lifestyle is a lifestyle (a mode or style of conducting one's life) which in addition, carries the implication that it is not within the generally perceived cultural norm. Usually (but not always) it implies an affinity or identification within some matching subculture (examples include Gay culture and punk)."

"Deviant behavior is behavior that is a recognized violation of social norms. Formal and informal social controls attempt to prevent and minimize deviance. One such control is through the medicalization of deviance. Crime, the violation of formally enacted law, is formal deviance while an informal social violation such as picking one's nose (although that is becoming rather normal by now) is an example of informal deviance. It also means not doing what the majority does or alternatively doing what the majority does not do. For instance, behaviors caused by cultural difference can be seen as deviance. It does not necessarily mean criminal behavior."

So if I'm reading this right; gay CULTURE is an alternative lifestyle while heterosexual intercourse is deviant behavior? Not trying to make a statement, but that's what I read the above definitions as. That implies (to be brutally brief) that being gay is a behavior, but acting gay is a lifestyle, no?

Btw, "Alternative lifestyles" implies that people chose to live a certain life. I don't believe this to be so. Why would someone choose to be gay?

I'm not sure that there's any "choice" implicit in the term "alternative". However, alternative simply means another option - and therefore ANY other lifestyle (including bestiality, pedophilia, etc) is BY DEFINITION an alternative lifestyle. Alternative lifestyle is not a term that is restricted to homosexuals, as deathlok would have us believe.

"An alternative lifestyle is a lifestyle (a mode or style of conducting one's life) which in addition, carries the implication that it is not within the generally perceived cultural norm. Usually (but not always) it implies an affinity or identification within some matching subculture (examples include Gay culture and punk)."

"Deviant behavior is behavior that is a recognized violation of social norms. Formal and informal social controls attempt to prevent and minimize deviance. One such control is through the medicalization of deviance. Crime, the violation of formally enacted law, is formal deviance while an informal social violation such as picking one's nose (although that is becoming rather normal by now) is an example of informal deviance. It also means not doing what the majority does or alternatively doing what the majority does not do. For instance, behaviors caused by cultural difference can be seen as deviance. It does not necessarily mean criminal behavior."

So if I'm reading this right; gay CULTURE is an alternative lifestyle while heterosexual intercourse is deviant behavior? Not trying to make a statement, but that's what I read the above definitions as. That implies (to be brutally brief) that being gay is a behavior, but acting gay is a lifestyle, no?

Actually, DL's definition of "alternative lifestyle" is exactly what I was implying by the thread title.

I just have no idea where the "deviant behavior" part came from.

BTW, DL. No hijacking of my thread with your graemlin-fests. thumbsup2.gif

File1235.jpg

The overt reference to a three-some in the title story would be enough to qualify this cover, but what's really interesting is the reference to Bull and how he's going to be 'ramrodding' some Howling Commandos.

Or is it just me?

insane.gif

Surprised that nobody brought up this linke before: He really says a lot... (especially with that Rifleman book)

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=uscc_part1

THAT's the one we were looking for 893applaud-thumb.gif

comic_tot14.gif

27_laughing.gif893whatthe.gifinsane.gif

Which I already put on the first page of this thread....days ago makepoint.gif