• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You have $500-750 to buy 1 book right now. What is it and why?
4 4

60 posts in this topic

Just a question I'm pondering for myself at the moment, and I thought I'd open it up to the boards. As it says in the title, you have $500-750 to spend on one book. It can be raw or graded, but only one. What are you buying?

Off the cuff, I'm thinking for me, raw books to maximize value. Looking at an VF-ish copy of Uncanny X-men 101, or Silver Surfer 4 in Fine or Fine- territory. Both are iconic covers, neither are modern books, and while one might look at them as long term investments, they're also just fun books to have.

Marvel Preview #4, because of its magazine size, is probably about as under-valued as one could find for a major first appearance from Marvel.  The Rocket Racoon issue, I believe #7, is also under-valued.  I would also say that Warrior (Magazine)  #1 is a low-risk with high potential.  Of course what all 3 of these have in common is the magazine size restraining demand.  But then again, the original Turtles books were magazine sized so that barrier may be coming down.

Edited by Nick Furious

On 12/14/2022 at 10:25 PM, Nick Furious said:

Marvel Preview #4, because of its magazine size, is probably about as under-valued as one could find for a major first appearance from Marvel.  The Rocket Racoon issue, I believe #7, is also under-valued.  I would also say that Warrior (Magazine)  #1 is a low-risk with high potential.  Of course what all 3 of these have in common is the magazine size restraining demand.  But then again, the original Turtles books were magazine sized so that barrier may be coming down.

comic collectors under value magazines, it is as simple as the cgc cases not fitting nicely into their boxes. Oddly enough as a child of the 70s they always felt extra cool though. First off they were 2-3x the cost of a comic sj really special, had better cover art, and a ton more reading material that was usually a bit more grown up, I didn’t miss the color so much

Edited by the blob

On 12/15/2022 at 5:59 PM, the blob said:

comic collectors under value magazines, it is as simple as the cgc cases not fitting nicely into their boxes

Lol they do sell slab mag boxes, but I've never tried raw mag boxes, and don't ever see them advertised even though my LCS has started getting in newer mags. I've never checked going prices on those to see if people are buying modern magazine. @oakman29

On 12/15/2022 at 4:06 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Lol they do sell slab mag boxes, but I've never tried raw mag boxes, and don't ever see them advertised even though my LCS has started getting in newer mags. I've never checked going prices on those to see if people are buying modern magazine. @oakman29

Somebody call?

On 12/15/2022 at 7:31 PM, oakman29 said:

Somebody call?

I figured if anyone bought modern mags, or at least knew of someone who did?

I see them at the lcs, but not sure if anyone would be able to confirm, lol

So the question? 500-750?

I would save that and add more when you can to buy a TMNT 1 2nd print highest grade you can. 

Because the 1st prints are already too much.

Edited by oakman29

On 12/15/2022 at 7:06 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

most of my boxes are raw mag boxes because GA does not fit well in other boxes, but they don't fit cgc mag slabs. cgc mag slab box is really high, will not fit on my shelves. i had a cgc mag, it was so annoying I had nowhere to house it, i wound up selling for a loss just to get rid of it

On 12/15/2022 at 9:17 PM, the blob said:

most of my boxes are raw mag boxes because GA does not fit well in other boxes, but they don't fit cgc mag slabs. cgc mag slab box is really high, will not fit on my shelves. i had a cgc mag, it was so annoying I had nowhere to house it, i wound up selling for a loss just to get rid of it

Bless you for taking the time to answer that for me! I was wondering what would potentially prolong mags or their supplies, although it might have been tangent to the theme of the thread  :shy:

I appreciate it though 😊

On 12/15/2022 at 9:23 PM, s-man said:

Every collection should have a copy! :banana:

Hide contents

Picture 1 of 2

It's weird, I have a feeling I'll end up with this one and skip the rifleman haha, yet I wish it would be cheaply regardless lol