• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ever wish you had bought this... instead of that.....

22 posts in this topic

OK, so I recently spent some money on new musical equipment that had previously been earmarked for more comics. And I'm much more excited about it than if I had just bought more comics as I had been planning to do.

So it got me thinking, and a question came to mind. Let's face it, we don't need to buy comics, we just do because we like them. But what about other stuff that we like as well? Have any of you regretted making a comic purchase over something else that you could have bought with the money instead? Or the opposite, have you ever bought something else and then wish that it was more comics that you had bought with the money? And I'm not talking about a car that turns out to be a lemon, or an overgraded comic, or some deal gone bad.

Thinking back on how much I have spent on comics over the last few years, I can't say I have any regrets, but I could have bought many other cool things instead. I have thousands upon thousands of comics filed away, and mountains of white boxes. No regrets there, but I do sometimes think about the vacations, updated electronics, household items, new cars, concert tickets, etc. that I could have bought instead. I think with the excitement I am feeling now over buying a non-comic item, my "comic-money" will not be strictly going back into comics anymore.

OK, so I recently spent some money on new musical equipment that had previously been earmarked for more comics. And I'm much more excited about it than if I had just bought more comics as I had been planning to do.

So it got me thinking, and a question came to mind. Let's face it, we don't need to buy comics, we just do because we like them. But what about other stuff that we like as well? Have any of you regretted making a comic purchase over something else that you could have bought with the money instead? Or the opposite, have you ever bought something else and then wish that it was more comics that you had bought with the money? And I'm not talking about a car that turns out to be a lemon, or an overgraded comic, or some deal gone bad.

Thinking back on how much I have spent on comics over the last few years, I can't say I have any regrets, but I could have bought many other cool things instead. I have thousands upon thousands of comics filed away, and mountains of white boxes. No regrets there, but I do sometimes think about the vacations, updated electronics, household items, new cars, concert tickets, etc. that I could have bought instead. I think with the excitement I am feeling now over buying a non-comic item, my "comic-money" will not be strictly going back into comics anymore.

I've blown money on comics that was earmarked for bills then begged, borrowed and stealed for the next two weeks to get by.

I've over bid on comics on ebay in the heat of the moment then had to borrow to just get enough to actually pay for the transaction.

I've brokered deals with the girlfriend, "If you buy this for me, I'll do that for you" type deal.

I actually pawned some stuff to fund my weekly purchase

I'm sure there are more if I put more thought into it foreheadslap.gif

In the past, I regularly over-spent on comics. At one point in time, I had complete high-grade runs of Avengers, Daredevil, X-Men and near-complete runs of Spidey & FF, along with another 5,000 decent books.

Problem was, I was so stretched that, when something came along to throw things up in the air...the comics had to go.

I've only just got back into buying for myself, rather than simply dealing, and the golden rule is that any purchases are financed by sales.

That way there's nothing (within reason) that I have to say no to, and I'll also not have to shift the lot 893crossfingers-thumb.gif if something were to occur.

Then theres my old story where I passed on what would be a definite 9.8 silver surfer #1 (nearly flawless) for a copy of Fish Police #1 back in 1986. Christo_pull_hair.gif

what??? 893whatthe.gif Can you tell this painful story again for us relative newcomers foreheadslap.gif

The guy running the store told my dumb, 14 year old asss, that the Silver Surfer was a better investment....but nooooooooo.....Fish police was a hot $40 book at the time and I just had to have it. So now, instead of owning the finest silver surfer #1 Ive ever seen, I have a vf/nm copy of fish police #1 rotting in one of my long boxes. yeahok.gif

I just recently ordered a non-comic purchase for about $250. It sounded good at the time, although when it comes in the mail, it may not be. I certainly hope I didn't just waste money on something I will never use.

I've blown money on comics that was earmarked for bills then begged, borrowed and stealed for the next two weeks to get by.

I've over bid on comics on ebay in the heat of the moment then had to borrow to just get enough to actually pay for the transaction.

I've brokered deals with the girlfriend, "If you buy this for me, I'll do that for you" type deal.

I actually pawned some stuff to fund my weekly purchase

I'm sure there are more if I put more thought into it foreheadslap.gif

You sound as if you have a serious problem. I'd back away from the comics for awhile...Seriously...

Jim