• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazon's WARHAMMER 40K starring Henry Cavill (TBD)
2 2

33 posts in this topic

Henry Cavill may not be donning a red cape, but he does have a cool new gig.

The actor, who Wednesday officially hung up his Man of Steel cape after Warner Bros. announced it is going in a new Superman direction thanks to DC Studio heads James Gunn and Peter Safran, is attached to star and executive produce a series adaptation of Warhammer 40,000, the popular science-fiction fantasy miniature wargame that is set up at Amazon.

Amazon is in final talks for the rights to the game, produced by Games Workshop, after months of negotiations and fending off rival companies that also sought the rights.

Cavill is known to be a Warhammer fan and paints figures. Because the project is in such early stages — to reiterate, Amazon has yet to close the deal — this is not the next gig for Cavill, who recently announced he was exiting his lead role in Netflix’s The Witcher.

Edited by Bosco685

I'm in the same boat. Have gone into hobby stores and seen Warhammer figures (which can be quite impressive once painted). Along with attending an event where tens of people were going at it with their personalized figures at a contest.

Fans really dive into this game, and can make up their own armies but still have to follow the game rules.

A friend and I had considered getting into playing Warhammer40k. It’s a really cool concept for tabletop games but it’s a lot of work and some $. You have to build and paint the minis and then read and learn the rules. Before  you’ve even played the game you’ve sunk dozens of hours into it.  We started playing Heroquest instead B|

I've always loved this Warhammer 40k fan animation called Astartes. It was literally created by one guy, whole cloth, and it's quite the achievement. According to people who play the game everything in the animation is accurate. All moves you see the characters make happen with game-accurate weapons in game-accurate order, and everything behaves the way it would in-game. Amazing. 

On 12/22/2022 at 5:48 PM, Cat said:

I've always loved this Warhammer 40k fan animation called Astartes. It was literally created by one guy, whole cloth, and it's quite the achievement. According to people who play the game everything in the animation is accurate. All moves you see the characters make happen with game-accurate weapons in game-accurate order, and everything behaves the way it would in-game. Amazing. 

I know nothing about Warhammer 40K, but that was a pretty good animation.

On 12/24/2022 at 1:29 AM, media_junkie said:

I know nothing about Warhammer 40K, but that was a pretty good animation.

Exactly where I'm at too. lol

Always seems odds-heavy to develop a game-based movie franchise, as only a few manage to find mega success. But, I will admit I'm not sure profitable moves were like Doom, Tomb Raider, Warcraft, Rampage, Angry Birds, Resident Evil, Assassin's Creed, Hitman, Bloodrayne, and whatever other ones I'm struggling to remember. I'm guessing Resident Evil must have done OK, because there's a bunch of sequels.

The upside is Henry Cavill is a great actor, and he could bring his Witcher talents (which sounds like everyone really likes that show), so odds may ever be in his favor.

On 12/29/2022 at 3:48 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Always seems odds-heavy to develop a game-based movie franchise, as only a few manage to find mega success. But, I will admit I'm not sure profitable moves were like Doom, Tomb Raider, Warcraft, Rampage, Angry Birds, Resident Evil, Assassin's Creed, Hitman, Bloodrayne, and whatever other ones I'm struggling to remember. I'm guessing Resident Evil must have done OK, because there's a bunch of sequels.

The upside is Henry Cavill is a great actor, and he could bring his Witcher talents (which sounds like everyone really likes that show), so odds may ever be in his favor.

This strikes me as something very different.   Looking at the source material, there's nothing under a R18 on the cards for an adaption here.

And then it's a question of how much, and who they get to do their CGI.   No one who's had the slightest bit of connection to MCU phase 4 would be my pick :whistle: 

On 1/9/2023 at 11:44 PM, Microchip said:

And then it's a question of how much, and who they get to do their CGI.   No one who's had the slightest bit of connection to MCU phase 4 would be my pick :whistle: 

Get whoever worked on Man of Steel. 10 years later and it's still at the top of the genre VFX-wise. More recently, the Star Wars trilogy (like them or not) and Dune looked incredible.