• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mechanical error turnaround time
5 5

127 posts in this topic

Two weeks and counting (along with a couple of phone calls) and I still have not been sent my International shipping label for an ME with debris in the slab from my last submission. For perspective, this usually take 2-3 business days and there have been times when it was done same day. Whatever is happening with the backlog right now seems pretty substantial. 

Full disclosure that I am not in any rush for ME books so the extra long wait does not bother me. Most of my concern revolves around there being a window of time when you have to do the ME and I do not want to fall through the cracks and go past that. 

On 4/11/2023 at 1:35 PM, Still Only 20¢ said:

...The Reholder did ship yesterday, and I should receive tomorrow.  

My 3 book reholder arrived this morning.  FedEx just left the package on my porch.  They did not ring my doorbell or knock and apparently just forged my signature.  I called FedEx and registered a complaint.  The package was about a 9.6.

Scanning the 3 slabs, they look great except they all have newton rings in the centers of the front and back covers.  I'll take a couple of days to mull over whether I want to send them in as MEs, or if I'll just plan on looking at them in dark rooms.

Whoo!!  Someone put me out!  I'm on FIRE!!

6 Book Mechanical Error Submission
2023-02-02    Delivered to CGC
2023-02-07    CGC Received/SFG
2023-04-12    GEI

14 Book Mechanical Error Submission
2023-03-16    Delivered to CGC
2023-03-17    CGC Received/SFG

2023-02-02    Delivered to CGC
2023-02-07    CGC Received/SFG
2023-04-12    GEI
2023-04-12    G/QC
2023-04-13    Shipped

2023-03-17    CGC Received/SFG

On 4/14/2023 at 6:58 PM, Stefan_W said:

ME SFG on Feb 21, just hit QC today Apr 24

Marked as shipped this afternoon which means it should be picked up by FedEx tomorrow (Apr 18) and get to me by the end of the week. I am happy with this. 

So my 3 book reholder and 6 book ME submissions shipped out, and I received both.  I'm sending 6 back as MEs, and have another 14 book ME submission at CGC.  My outstanding MEs:

2023-04-20    Delivered to CGC
2023-04-21    CGC Received/SFG

On 4/21/2023 at 2:56 PM, Still Only 20¢ said:

So my 3 book reholder and 6 book ME submissions shipped out, and I received both.  I'm sending 6 back as MEs, and have another 14 book ME submission at CGC.  My outstanding MEs:

2023-04-20    Delivered to CGC

Are you having to send back some slabs from every submission you do? If this is the case, which, given CGC's track record, wouldn't surprise me in the least, you have the patience of a saint. My frustration level would be thru the roof.

On 4/21/2023 at 3:31 PM, Gaard said:

Are you having to send back some slabs from every submission you do? If this is the case, which, given CGC's track record, wouldn't surprise me in the least, you have the patience of a saint. My frustration level would be thru the roof.

Hi @Gaard, yes, I am having to send back some slabs from every submission I'm making (including MEs), and I've had to do this since Summer '22.  No, I don't have the patience of a saint, and my frustration level IS THRU the roof!!  But I'm slabbing books to keep in my collection, and I want slabs that are not defective.  So I resubmit ... and resubmit... and resubmit...

Cheers,

On 4/21/2023 at 3:40 PM, Still Only 20¢ said:

Hi @Gaard, yes, I am having to send back some slabs from every submission I'm making (including MEs), and I've had to do this since Summer '22.  No, I don't have the patience of a saint, and my frustration level IS THRU the roof!!  But I'm slabbing books to keep in my collection, and I want slabs that are not defective.  So I resubmit ... and resubmit... and resubmit...

Cheers,

I am in the same position.  It seems that every order needs 1 or more books sent back in for ME.  I had to recently send back in 11 books from 2 different orders but at least the TAT was only 1 week before they were sent back to me.

On 4/24/2023 at 2:32 PM, LudaToke said:

I am in the same position.  It seems that every order needs 1 or more books sent back in for ME.  I had to recently send back in 11 books from 2 different orders but at least the TAT was only 1 week before they were sent back to me.

Over the last 8 months, I've had to send back 1/3 to 1/2 of most of the submissions shipped back to me, including MEs.  1 week TAT, WOW!  My ME TATs have typically been around a month with the most recent one taking 2 months.

On cue...  I checked my submissions status today around 11am-12pm (EDT) and saw the 14-book submission was GEI.  I checked around 2:30pm and saw it was shipped with a label created time of 2:03pm.  I never saw this submission with a G/QC status.

2023-03-16  Delivered to CGC
2023-04-25    GEI
??                   G/QC
2023-04-25    Shipped (w 2023-04-26 date)

2023-04-20     Delivered to CGC

On 4/25/2023 at 4:18 PM, Gaard said:

Does it make a difference if it goes thru a QC stage anyway? B|

You know @Gaard, I was contemplating this.  With all of the slab issues that slip through the QC process (scuffs in the slabs, NEWTON RINGS, scratches, debris in the slabs, mislabeled slabs, et cetera), think of the issues they must be catching!!  We've never had a slab with a dead mouse, or a live roach!  We've never had a slab with a cigarette butt, or a doobie!  No libstick tubes or condoms!  No beer cans or underwear!  There have been no reports of a slab with a golf club protruding, or deer antlers!!  These are things that CGC Quality Control must be catching!!  

There's no telling what CGC QC caught in the 14 seconds my 14 slabs were in QC today...

On 4/25/2023 at 8:49 AM, Still Only 20¢ said:

Over the last 8 months, I've had to send back 1/3 to 1/2 of most of the submissions shipped back to me, including MEs.  1 week TAT, WOW!  My ME TATs have typically been around a month with the most recent one taking 2 months.

It looks like I got burned by the 1 week TAT.  None of the 11 books that I received back were fixed and they even managed to introduce new errors in the QC process :facepalm: For some reason the custom Todd McFarland labels that I had on these books were swapped out for Spider-Man and Spawn labels :roflmao: Now I have to send them back again for reholder AND label service.

original_61c2cd8e-149a-4dad-b064-9c9b052a4ccd_PXL_20230427_204829926.jpg

PXL_20230427_204821300.jpg

PXL_20230427_204824836.jpg

On 4/27/2023 at 5:14 PM, LudaToke said:

It looks like I got burned by the 1 week TAT.  None of the 11 books that I received back were fixed and they even managed to introduce new errors in the QC process :facepalm: For some reason the custom Todd McFarland labels that I had on these books were swapped out for Spider-Man and Spawn labels :roflmao: Now I have to send them back again for reholder AND label service.

original_61c2cd8e-149a-4dad-b064-9c9b052a4ccd_PXL_20230427_204829926.jpg

PXL_20230427_204821300.jpg

PXL_20230427_204824836.jpg

Spiderman label on a DC book, a Spiderman label on a Spawn book and to top things off a Spawn label on a ASM 300!  looks about right.

Edited by ak47po

On 4/27/2023 at 5:14 PM, LudaToke said:

On 4/27/2023 at 5:23 PM, ak47po said:

Spiderman label on a DC book, a Spiderman label on a Spawn book and to top things off a Spawn label on a ASM 300!  looks about right.

A Hat Trick!  Just in time for the NHL playoffs.

My 14 book ME was scheduled to arrive today.  I got up this morning, and it was out for delivery!  But it seems there was an "Operational Delay" this afternoon 1 1/2 hours after my expected delivery window.  So, I guess, maybe, they'll come tomorrow...?  @LudaToke, if it's any consolation, I'm pretty sure my slabs with 2 month TAT will have their share of issues.