• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mechanical error turnaround time
5 5

127 posts in this topic

Has anyone else sent in a mechanical error for correction recently? If so, how long did it take to show up on your "CGC Submission Tracking" page?  

CGC received my package 3 to 4 (with big thick "ME" in sharpie on all sides) weeks ago but it still hasn't appeared on my CGC Submission Tracking page; just checking to see if that is the norm these days. Thanks : )

My recently submitted (and CLEARLY labeled) Mechanical Error took 11 business days to be marked as received after it was delivered.
It has been 'Scheduled for Grading' for 26 business days.
CGC has had the book to correct their error regarding a label for 37 business days and counting...

Shipped                        11/1
Delivered                      11/2 (1 business day later / 1 day total)
Scheduled for Grading 11/17 (11 business days later / 12 days total)

Some claims were made by @CGC Mike that Mechanical Errors were expedited, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all.
(see below link to a post yesterday with slow track modern with 12 business day turnaround)

Also, check out this thread.

On 12/22/2022 at 6:59 PM, Ryan. said:

Nearly two months to fix their own mistake is unacceptable. 

+1

But CGC doesn't care. They don't seem to care about anything (except their bottom line). If all the top dogs at CGC have this "don't give a ___" attitude, why are people giving them their business?

Thanks for the responses, and thanks for CGC Mike for chiming in.

My timeline is:

Shipped on 11/23/2022

Delivered to CGC on 11/29/2022

It has not yet registered on my CGC Submission Tracking page, 17 days after it was delivered to CGC.  Thankfully the CGC Submission page has a link where I can enter the tracking number to confirm that CGC has at least received my package, so my main concern was that CGC didn't pull it out of the pile based on the "ME" I wrote in thick sharpie on all sides of the box.

Based on Mike's response, I'm hopeful that it will show up on my CGC Submission Tracking page soon.

@CGC Mike Do you know about how many business days it is currently taking for ME's to be entered into the system?  If not no worries, I'll give it another couple weeks, and then follow up again.

Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays to Mike and others!

Edited by Superman2006

I sent 3 books back with ME written in big fat sharpie letters on every side of the box.

It took 13 days from the date it showed as delivered before it was entered into the system. 

It's been listed as "scheduled for grading" for about 2 weeks. I thought books that needed recapsulated due to internal cracks were not regraded. I thought they were prioritized, reslabbed and shipped back out again.

Apparently that is not the case.

On 12/27/2022 at 5:02 PM, Superman2006 said:

Yay, my mechanical error submission now shows as Received / Scheduled for grading;

Shipped on 11/23/2022

Received / Scheduled for Grading on 12/27/2022

OMG! A month? Remind me why are people instructed to write ME on the box?

On 12/27/2022 at 5:52 PM, Gaard said:
On 12/27/2022 at 4:02 PM, Superman2006 said:

Yay, my mechanical error submission now shows as Received / Scheduled for grading;

Shipped on 11/23/2022

Received / Scheduled for Grading on 12/27/2022

OMG! A month? Remind me why are people instructed to write ME on the box?

So that it takes one month to show up as received, rather than three months or whatever : )

Seriously though, I hear what you're saying. Hopefully this delay is more of a one-off and not a sign of how long it will take in the future (and hopefully there will be less books requiring ME handling of course).

On 12/27/2022 at 6:41 PM, Bryan Crawford said:

I sent 3 books back with ME written in big fat sharpie letters on every side of the box.

It took 13 days from the date it showed as delivered before it was entered into the system. 

It's been listed as "scheduled for grading" for about 2 weeks. I thought books that needed recapsulated due to internal cracks were not regraded. I thought they were prioritized, reslabbed and shipped back out again.

Apparently that is not the case.

Think of "scheduled for grading" as "in the queue".  If it's waiting to be graded, then it's "in the queue for grading".  If it's waiting to be reholdered, then it's "in the queue for reholdering".  The system doesn't have a specialized status for a reholder.

Across 3 shipments, average of 2-4 weeks to get logged.

ME 1:

Delivered to CGC: 11/28/22

Received/Scheduled: 12/29/22

ME 2:
Delivered to CGC: 12/16/22
Received/Scheduled: 12/29/22

ME 3:

Delivered to CGC: 12/16/22

Not received/scheduled yet

Edited by Le Chat Noir

I'm curious...

We're always told to write ME on the package so that (as we've been told) they can remove them from shipping so as to expedite them. It's still taking weeks to enter them into the system. I'd be curious to know how long non-ME submissions are taking to get entered into the system.

On 12/22/2022 at 8:38 PM, CGC Mike said:

I have been told that we are behind in entering ME's into the system.

They're behind on everything. I've had Walk Throughs, which used to be in and out in 2 days take up to a week just to get entered into the system and up to two weeks before they're shipped out.