• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPAWN! A look back at an award-winning collection of graded slabs.
10 10

826 posts in this topic

On 9/11/2023 at 8:17 PM, newshane said:

SPAWN 200 - SECOND PRINT - CGC 9.8 

Another dastardly second print! 

CGC really dropped the ball labeling all these variants when they first came out. I wrote back and forth extensively trying to get this fixed. Thankfully, they worked with me, and they were able to fix everything in their system. I can't help but think about the census, however. It's got to be screwed up. For example, they didn't bother labeling this as a second print, so it's probably listed on the census as a "regular" issue 200. Hopefully I'm making sense. If not, just enjoy the scan. :foryou:

These can be hard to distinguish at first glance. The colors are a little different, and "second print" is noted under the price. 

2002nd.jpg

It makes sense, I'm thinking similar to the Punisher #100, but I don't want to open that can of worms either lol

I'm still digging the 200'chains linkage! That is a simple expression but is simple enough, comparatively with ASM 300, which is also McFarlane.

I think that is a nice throwback!  :headbang:

This is a list of the autographed books I have.

X-Men Unlimited #3 autographed, (Mark McKenna) Robin #1 Autographed (Scott Hanna & Chuck Dixon) X-Men 2099 Autographed (John Francis & Tom Smith) X-Men # 30 Autographed (Fabian Nicieza) Batman / Spawn (94) Autographed (Chuck Dixon, Alan Grant & Doug Moench) X-Men Unlimited #1 Autographed (Stan Lee) Death of Superman, Autographed (Brett Breeding) Captain America #425, Autographed (Joe Simon & Dave Hoover) Sabertooth #1 Autographed (Larry Hama) Shadow of the Bat #16 Autographed (Bret Blevins & Mike Manley) Warriors of Plasm, the collected edition Autographed (Jim Shooter) Defiant Universe #1, Autographed (Jim Shooter) Silver Surfer #2 All the autographed books have certificate of Authenticity.

On 9/14/2023 at 9:07 PM, captainzombie said:

Talk about the variant madness with Spawn 200 on at this point in time.

I was going to let it go, but ya it's news to me 😂 that it's that many!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

SPAWN 200 JIM LEE VARIANT - CGC 9.8 - SIGNATURE SERIES - SIGNED BY JIM LEE 

Arguably the best artist from the entire Image roster. 

This was a great book! Was pumped to get Lee's signature. This won't be the last "Lee variant!" We will take a look at the black and white tomorrow. 

jim2.jpg

Edited by newshane

On 9/17/2023 at 12:15 PM, newshane said:

SPAWN 200 JIM LEE VARIANT - CGC 9.8 - SIGNATURE SERIES - SIGNED BY JIM LEE 

Arguably the best artist from the entire Image roster. 

This was a great book! Was pumped to get Lee's signature. This won't be the last "Lee variant!" We will take a look at the black and white tomorrow. 

jim2.jpg

Nice!  Jim is a great guy.  I saw him sign a Bud bottle for a guy once  

SPAWN 200 - CGC 9.8 - LEE SKETCH COVER 

Sorry for all these ugly scans. I was doing my best, believe me! Those thick slabs were a beast for my old HP. 

leebw.jpg

On 9/18/2023 at 7:37 PM, captainzombie said:

LOL! Agreed, most of the #200 covers are ugly as hell.

Well, I was talking about the scans but...

lol

On 9/18/2023 at 7:58 PM, newshane said:

Well, I was talking about the scans but...

lol

Hahahaha. Some of the covers to me felt uninspiring. Good thing with Spawn titles, they don't go crazy with the variants like other titles, and usually its just with the bigger numbered issues where they have multiple variants. I feel like variants have not helped the industry at all and made a mess of it.

Seeing all of these Spawn books that you had slabbed has to in some ways bug you at times having gotten rid of them, even though you did it due to a goal in mind.

On 9/18/2023 at 8:14 PM, captainzombie said:

Hahahaha. Some of the covers to me felt uninspiring. Good thing with Spawn titles, they don't go crazy with the variants like other titles, and usually its just with the bigger numbered issues where they have multiple variants. I feel like variants have not helped the industry at all and made a mess of it.

Seeing all of these Spawn books that you had slabbed has to in some ways bug you at times having gotten rid of them, even though you did it due to a goal in mind.

I agree that some of them were uninspiring. 

You will see many, many more variants. There was a long stretch where every single issue had a variant. After a few years of that game, I totally burned out. 

Yeah, it bugs me to have gotten rid of some of them. I'll post a top 20 list soon. ;) 

SPAWN 200 - CGC 9.8 SIGNATURE SERIES - ROB LIEFELD

Rob has taken a lot of flack over the years, and all I would do is pile on, so I'll just move on. 

rob.jpg

On 9/18/2023 at 9:07 PM, newshane said:

I agree that some of them were uninspiring. 

You will see many, many more variants. There was a long stretch where every single issue had a variant. After a few years of that game, I totally burned out. 

Yeah, it bugs me to have gotten rid of some of them. I'll post a top 20 list soon. ;) 

Which was the final issue number when you had stopped getting the Spawn books slabbed?

This is awesome that you have shared all this with us.