• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPAWN! A look back at an award-winning collection of graded slabs.
9 9

801 posts in this topic

SAVED

I will be posting hyperlinks to every issue here in this slot. That way, Spawn fans won't have to keep clicking through scores of pages to find their favorite issues throughout the thread. 

:foryou:

Thanks to everyone who is riding with me down memory lane! This may seem like an act of hubris, but my actual hope is to educate, inspire, and entertain other fans. I'm also pretty sentimental about the character AND this particular collection. I've moved on from Spawn and the "Modern Age" in general, but I feel like the process of going back through my scans will bring me small joy everyday. 

Edited by newshane

Okay! Let's get this party started! 

:headbang:

I'm actually going to begin with Malibu Sun 13 - a preview magazine that was commonly given out as a freebie at comic book shops during the early 90s. Many of them were thrown away or mistreated. As a result, finding a copy in this condition is nearly impossible.

I was around 13 years old when I first got into collecting, and my interest in the hobby coincided with the speculation bubble that was rapidly growing at the time. Spawn was "dark" and the character definitely piqued my interest. There was a lot of buzz about Image Comics in those days, and one of the earliest images of Spawn appeared here in the preview mag. 

Other "appearances" that predate the publication of Spawn 1 include an ad in the first issue of Rust, which was published in April of 1992. Spawn 1 and Malibu Sun 13 were both published in May of that year. I also believe that an image of Spawn (a B&W rendition of the cover of Spawn 2) was published on the back of Todd McFarlane's baseball card, which pictured the artist, sans shirt, on his follow through swing.

As a collector, I never bothered chasing down Rust 1 or the baseball card. I don't consider these legitimate first appearances, and neither does the CGC. In fact, many people feel the same about Malibu Sun 13. The reason why I chased one down is because I remember getting this issue when I was a kid. 

For the record, the CGC considers the first appearance of Spawn to be Spawn 1, and that is a correct assertion. 

But many people chase this book as the first "true" appearance, so we will start with this beauty. This was one of my earliest purchases from the board. I cannot recall who sold it to me. I've included the back cover as well because it is another super early image. 

Please note that all of my scans are untouched. I did not play with the contrast to make the colors pop because I felt like that would be ingenuine. 

Here you go! Tomorrow, we will take a look at the first issue in the run. 

EDITED Malibu Sun 13 F.jpg

Malibu Sun 13 B.jpg

On 12/25/2022 at 3:46 PM, xela_v said:

What an achievement, I'm a fan of spawn and has been collecting for a bit but my collection doesn't even touch 10% of yours.

Your set may go down in history unbeaten!

PS: I am still in the lookout of the two issues that you're missing, I still believe there are 9.8 condition of those books somewhere

Which two issues are you missing?

On 12/25/2022 at 6:09 PM, Spawnfreak said:

Which two issues are you missing?

Well I never had a Spawn 64 in 9.8. There are several now, but I had a hard time with this one back in the day because none existed, and I couldn't find a good raw candidate to save my life. Black cover. Polybagged. Tough issue. 

The other one was spawn 156. Impossible book in 9.8. To this day, there are none on the census. I discuss these books in a different thread, and I will address them again here in due time. 

I sold the collection several years ago. I'm no longer collecting this title. 

On 12/25/2022 at 10:32 PM, newshane said:

Well I never had a Spawn 64 in 9.8. There are several now, but I had a hard time with this one back in the day because none existed, and I couldn't find a good raw candidate to save my life. Black cover. Polybagged. Tough issue. 

The other one was spawn 156. Impossible book in 9.8. To this day, there are none on the census. I discuss these books in a different thread, and I will address them again here in due time. 

I wasn' t hawking mine, just curious.(worship)

On 12/25/2022 at 7:32 PM, newshane said:

156 is the one I specifically had in mind since I saw your post offering bounty for it. I have something close to 9.6 so far but no 9.8.

SPAWN 1 BLACK AND WHITE VARIANT - 9.8 NM/M 

This is the black and white edition of Spawn 1 and was offered as a 1:50 dealer incentive for Spawn 65. This reprint of Spawn 1, featuring new cover art by McFarlane, was produced over five years after the series debuted. 

This was the first Spawn variant of the regular run. I think it was quite notable that Spawn was one of the only series of the early 90s to dodge the "chromachromediecutholographic" trends of the time. There were no Spawn variants or special editions in the early days. I give credit to McFarlane for bucking that trend, but he certainly made up for it later. In many cases, there were a dozen variants for a single issue. Unfortunately, McFarlane is continuing to release variants. The most popular type of variant has been the "black and white" cover, which is usually the same artwork as the "regular" edition. The only difference is the absence of color. 

With this particular variant, however, fans received a fresh image. 

Here is some additional info with a cited source: 

"This was a retailer incentive for Spawn #65 with each LCS getting 1 for every 50 ordered, hence any LCS ordering between 50 and 99 would get one; 100-149 two etc. Spawn #65 had a total print run (world-wide, including News Stand sales) of well over 200,000, with around 180,000 pre-orders to comic shops world-wide. Not every LCS would have ordered exact blocks of 50 hence the actual number of Spawn #1 Black & White variants includes a little guess work."  -recalledcomics.com

I'm not particularly fond of this cover, and I always found these to be a little overpriced, but I do admit that it is a wildly popular book. Here is my old copy: 

*NOTE - any perceived imperfections are the result of an old, beaten-up scanner. The book was jet black and glossy. 

EDITED Spawn 1 Black & White Edition F.jpg

Edited by newshane

On 12/27/2022 at 1:15 PM, JoeBrrr said:

Amazing collection and posts I love the description behind the books too! Did you ever chase the #1 error version or do you not care as much for it ?  The 9.9 is a true beauty. 

Thanks so much! 

I didn't chase the error version. Why not? I hate to sound silly, but there wasn't a registry slot for it, and the money was better spent funding my registry set goals. 

The mint copy of the first issue is one I should have kept, but hindsight is always 20/20. 

I'll buy another copy one day, but it will be a "mere" 9.8. 

Edited by newshane

Spawn 2 - CGC 9.8 - NM/M

One of my favorite covers from the first year of the run. 

Again, please accept my apologies for the quality of the scans. Quite a bit of "noise" on some of these. 

EDited Spawn 2 F.jpg

Edited by newshane

SPAWN 3 - CGC 9.9 - MINT 

Another banger from the early days. I love the composition and line work. This cover art is superior to the first two issues, in my opinion. 

At some point, I think I had this old red label reholdered. If memory serves correctly, this was a stunner of a copy. Beautiful, even for a 9.9 copy. I never did learn what sort of magic was required for a 10.0 grade, but I'll take 9.9s all day. 

I bought this from a boardie after reaching out to him. I trolled all the registry sets and sent out inquiries for top copies. Thankfully, the seller was willing to accommodate me. 

EDITED Spawn 3 F.jpg

Edited by newshane