• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pickings are slim...
2 2

53 posts in this topic

This show is binge worthy. Already renewed for season 2 on HBOMAX.  Couldn't stop watching it. Last show that made me that interested was Game of Thrones. seasons 1-4.

The NBA players are stars for sure, but it turns out the biggest star character was Doctor Jerry Buss the owner of the Lakers. He was Stan Lee on steroids as a showman.

On 1/3/2023 at 8:36 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I just started Yellowstone last week, and am halfway thru S3. The show is much better than I expected. I would say that it has pacing issues if the slow moments weren't so incredibly human and endearing. It also sets a large contrast when they're followed by chaos. It's becoming one of my favorite shows that I've ever watched.

1883 is also very good.  I did not expect to like it, since "westerns" are not my thing, but this is just so well done.

On 1/3/2023 at 10:13 AM, drotto said:

1883 is also very good.  I did not expect to like it, since "westerns" are not my thing, but this is just so well done.

I think I like 1883 the best out of the three so far. I found the first half of Yellowstone Season 5 was meh  for the most part. 1923 looks good, but I need to see more episodes.

On 1/3/2023 at 8:55 AM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

This show is binge worthy. Already renewed for season 2 on HBOMAX.  Couldn't stop watching it. Last show that made me that interested was Game of Thrones. seasons 1-4.

The NBA players are stars for sure, but it turns out the biggest star character was Doctor Jerry Buss the owner of the Lakers. He was Stan Lee on steroids as a showman.

Winning time was a fun watch. A bit too over the top at times, but I guess that is what Buss was like? It looks like they are setting it up to almost go season by season?

On 1/2/2023 at 11:07 AM, Artboy99 said:

There is too much content and far too much of it is mediocre.

Reminds me of all the sci fi/fantasy novels and short stories, Louis Lamour, hardy boys, yes even comic books that we used to read. Some good, some bad, most have at least a good nugget or two. 

If you want to know why shows have gotten so mediocre or bad, let this soak in.  Just Netflix in Q3 had 1024 episodes of original programing.  Just fathom that number.  How can you pump out that much content without quality suffering?  Are there that many capable writers, actors, producers, directors, etc for that much?

While Netflix is by far the biggest at about 50% of original content, that means there were roughly another 1024 episodes produced by other companies. 

On 1/2/2023 at 8:59 AM, PickleRick1216 said:

I binged the whole season over the last week. Keep watching to the last episode! They also ordered a 2nd season.

So I just finished season 1 last night and I cannot believe they canceled this show! I never watched Dark so I’m going to check it out, heard good things about it. 

On 1/6/2023 at 8:36 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

That Yellowstone Season 3 finale. :jawdrop:

Wait until you catch up. I would also highly recommend Yellowstone 1883 and the new 1923. I think I like the spinoffs more than the main show now. Spencer Dutton in 1923 is the toughest Dutton so far.

Edited by kimik

On 1/7/2023 at 4:41 PM, kimik said:

Wait until you catch up. I would also highly recommend Yellowstone 1883 and the new 1923. I think I like the spinoffs more than the main show now. Spencer Dutton in 1923 is the toughest Dutton so far.

I really like Spencer also, and I like the way the Africa storyline broke up some otherwise familiar narrative. I also think all the speculative Dutton family linages may be way off.

On 1/7/2023 at 3:06 PM, drotto said:

I really like Spencer also, and I like the way the Africa storyline broke up some otherwise familiar narrative. I also think all the speculative Dutton family linages may be way off.

Yeah, the Africa piece was great. It also set things up for Spencer to have this type of moment:

image.jpeg.fb53ed53ff039a3e027e92d9b5209f67.jpeg

On 1/6/2023 at 8:27 AM, bentbryan said:

So I just finished season 1 last night and I cannot believe they canceled this show! I never watched Dark so I’m going to check it out, heard good things about it. 

After a handful of years streaming, the 1st season of Dark is my favorite.  It's one of those shows which requires you to pay attention though.   I watched it with the dubbing.  I will say I think the voice acting wasn't the best so you may want to consider using the subtitles with the original voice track

The Pale Blue Eye

Peaky Blinders (best show IMO)

True Detective 1-3

Miss Maisel

Tulsa King

Mayor of Kingstown

Mare of Easttown

The Man in the High Tower (excellent sci fi and history)

My Octopus Teacher

A 90 minute Academy Award winning show which is something of a mix between a nature documentary and a story of a burned out filmmaker who rejuvenates himself from daily dives he starts taking off the coast where he encounters a small octopus.

Not the most compelling description but a mesmerizing show well worth a watch.