• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You have $15,000 to spend on one SA book. Which book and why?
4 4

48 posts in this topic

On 1/3/2023 at 8:35 PM, KCOComics said:

The only "problem" with GA is, prices are still pretty high. Allot of classic cover PCH books have been really taking off.  Old Tecs, Cole covers...

You haven't seen them come down like SA. Maybe they won't because they are scarcer? 

Everything that happens to prices surprises me.  No question they're scarcer, but that doesn't mean much if demand is also low.  That's always part of the debate about future prices - will lots of new people with money continue to come into this hobby?  Will existing collectors keep buying despite price increases?

On 1/4/2023 at 11:40 AM, fishbone said:

I think I said "really nice" OA Spidey page, not really early :nyah:

Ok one more question.  Where do you typically find your OA?  I'd love a nice ASM page, but everything looks outrageously expensive.

On 1/4/2023 at 2:10 PM, piper said:

Ok one more question.  Where do you typically find your OA?  I'd love a nice ASM page, but everything looks outrageously expensive.

typically CLink  ......  I do think one could get a half-decent Andru page for $15K or less .... at least I think you still can

The big ones like Romita, McFarlane (I won;t even say Ditko as ground floor is 6 figures) are getting out of reach, but some really cool stuff if we are talking 15K

On 1/4/2023 at 1:44 PM, fishbone said:

typically CLink  ......  I do think one could get a half-decent Andru page for $15K or less .... at least I think you still can

The big ones like Romita, McFarlane (I won;t even say Ditko as ground floor is 6 figures) are getting out of reach, but some really cool stuff if we are talking 15K

Andru rocks!

On 1/5/2023 at 3:13 PM, shadroch said:

I'd use the funds for two books. A BB28 in 6.5 or better and the best Spiderman 4 I could get with the remaining money.

Yeah I think BB28 is solid, was my 2nd choice had I listed it.

Edited by LDarkseid1

Showcase #22 in 6.5 

Find DC books right now, buy upper graded percentage of the total graded number, not low grade. Showcase #22 is a steal. Take the change and buy the highest graded tec 373 you can buy! How can it keep being overlooked ! It is the first real appearance using the name Mister freeze and technically a great 2nd appearance. 2c

Edited by paul747

TOS39 is a decent book to get right now as price on it have been hit pretty hard, especially since he hasn't been in the MCU at this point for awhile so the short memory of many are focused elsewhere right now in specs (however you know it is just a matter of time before Disney wants to revisit that giant cash-cow and bring RDJR back for some multiverse cameo in some future movie which will get prices going crazy again). Long term this is one of the better books I feel just based on movie nostalgia growing over the next decade (also books like BB28, very cheap now and you know will be come relevant again plus more nostalgic for the Snyder collectors)

BB28 seems to always show up on these lists but never seems to increase at the same rate as its Marvel counterparts.

I would love to own a copy, but I don’t view it as an investment.

I’ve never understood the discrepancy…

From 2017 through 2022, AF15 1.0 has appreciated ~173% and ASM1 5.0 has appreciated ~163%, each settling a little bit over $15K as of 2022. 

Past performance is no predictor of future performance, but the trends are very very similar for each.