• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not including notes for a 9.2 graded book is ridiculous
2 2

63 posts in this topic

I like CGC, but that's an insult to not include notes on a book that looks pristine yet is graded 9.2. I get it if there is an obvious issue with the book, but when it looks like a NM copy, the whole 9.2-9.4-9.6 thing is so subjective and should be explained in the notes. Makes me want to avoid getting anything graded as I have to trust that someone wasn't just having a bad day.

On 1/4/2023 at 10:54 AM, andrehanderson said:

You make a compelling argument. Thank you for your insightful contribution to the conversation.

Grading notes are not comprehensive. If you want to learn to grade, from CGC, buy their grading guide. Grader notes are not there to teach you this skill.

On 1/4/2023 at 10:20 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Grading notes are not comprehensive. If you want to learn to grade, from CGC, buy their grading guide. Grader notes are not there to teach you this skill.

Then why have a field for grader's notes at all? When do they decide to have notes vs not, and what is the intention of the notes field?

On 1/4/2023 at 11:36 AM, andrehanderson said:

Then why have a field for grader's notes at all? When do they decide to have notes vs not, and what is the intention of the notes field?

Grader notes are generally for high-impact and/or interior defects. Presumably, they decide to include them when a defect impacts the grade significantly, or it cannot be seen thru the slab. The intention of the notes is so that you can know what defect significantly impacted the grade, or if it's unseen within the slab.

Let's not forget that in the good old days (sigh...) there was really just NM when it came to the highest graded comics, since we must face the fact that nothing is truly mint. 

Everything above 9.0 is near mint, with some hair splitting and fine tuning to arrive at the now accepted 9.2, 9.4, 9.6 & grail 9.8 grades. For reasons to include some descriptive note with a graded comic, see post above.

On 1/4/2023 at 1:57 PM, andrehanderson said:

Yes, it's just a ridiculous policy. Again, I like CGC and I'm glad they're around, but when it's not obvious then I think notes should be included. Otherwise it seems totally arbitrary.

If the defect(s) knocking it down aren’t visible once encapsulated, then the grading notes should absolutely make mention.  Got scans of this 9.2?

On 1/4/2023 at 1:50 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

If the defect(s) knocking it down aren’t visible once encapsulated, then the grading notes should absolutely make mention.  Got scans of this 9.2?

I'll be sure to scan it once I receive it back from CGC. It's an Ultimate Fallout 4 first edition. Huge difference in value from a 9.8 to a 9.2.

On 1/4/2023 at 3:15 PM, andrehanderson said:

I'll be sure to scan it once I receive it back from CGC. It's an Ultimate Fallout 4 first edition. Huge difference in value from a 9.8 to a 9.2.

No pre-submission scans?

On 1/4/2023 at 1:15 PM, andrehanderson said:

There's a big difference between 9.8 and 9.2.  And I'm not talking value here.

I don't know how well you can grade but when you say grading is subjective referencing a range of 9.8 to 9.2 it suggests you don't have enough experience grading high grade books.  Grades can vary because graders are human and grading is subjective but generally not more than one grade point.  And I'm not trying to beat you up here, most of us have had bad surprises on our early submissions and it takes experience to grade to CGC standards.  When I send in books I carefully grade them including the interior and when I get them back I carefully go over them and compare CGC's grade to mine and try to determine what I missed.

Please post some pics when you get the book back and perhaps we can help you identify defects that you missed.

Also be aware that pressers have damage books, books have been damaged in shipping, and CGC has damaged books.  You may have sent in a 9.8 and it may have been damaged somewhere in the process.  Always scan or take detailed of your books before shipping them away.

On 1/4/2023 at 4:21 PM, thehumantorch said:

There's a big difference between 9.8 and 9.2.  And I'm not talking value here.

I don't know how well you can grade but when you say grading is subjective referencing a range of 9.8 to 9.2 it suggests you don't have enough experience grading high grade books.  Grades can vary because graders are human and grading is subjective but generally not more than one grade point.  And I'm not trying to beat you up here, most of us have had bad surprises on our early submissions and it takes experience to grade to CGC standards.  When I send in books I carefully grade them including the interior and when I get them back I carefully go over them and compare CGC's grade to mine and try to determine what I missed.

Please post some pics when you get the book back and perhaps we can help you identify defects that you missed.

Also be aware that pressers have damage books, books have been damaged in shipping, and CGC has damaged books.  You may have sent in a 9.8 and it may have been damaged somewhere in the process.  Always scan or take detailed of your books before shipping them away.

Thanks! I definitely may have missed something internal, but externally I couldn't find a single flaw. I considered sending it for pressing, but in this case there just wasnt anything to press or clean--to my untrained eye. 

I should be receiving the book back tomorrow and I'll definitely post some scans.