• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newsstand collectors: What is your starting year for collecting and are you grade specific?
2 2

27 posts in this topic

On 1/21/2023 at 3:57 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

They exist between the cover dates Oct 1999 to Feb 2000 Paq, with 32 confirmed price variants (last time I checked):

https://boards.cgccomics.com/blogs/entry/4922-marvel-1999-~-2000-us-newsstand-price-variants/

:)

Corrected, thx! BTW, where is the UK thread? I have lost it but just got something cool I want to show in that thread

On 1/20/2023 at 4:02 PM, ramrod44 said:

Well put,..... I would like to add that I'm old enough to have lived and worked during the late 70's and early 80's in the convenience & grocery store industry so I saw first hand "with thy own eyes" how newsstands were treated. I worked at over 30 different stores with different delivery drivers and they all treated their Magazines and Comics the same...... like spoon. They were for reading, not collecting. Very few of the comics they delivered were strict NM, 90% were vf/nm 9.0 or worse. This is why newsstands in strict NM/M 9.6/9.8 are so rare compared to their direct counterparts.

Unless you chose your copies when you unpacked the bundles. :bigsmile:

On 1/21/2023 at 9:01 PM, paqart said:

Corrected, thx! BTW, where is the UK thread? I have lost it but just got something cool I want to show in that thread

I've terrorised the forum with seven UKPV threads Paq, one for each of the known post-1959 publishers. The journal summaries are here, with links to the relevant discussion threads within them:

https://boards.cgccomics.com/blogs/blog/628-john-morlars-pence-palace-of-doom-and-other-comic-miscellany/

I'll be keeping an eye open to see which one you post in....

Spoiler

Marvel....:bigsmile:

On 1/21/2023 at 4:06 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I've terrorised the forum with seven UKPV threads Paq, one for each of the known post-1959 publishers. The journal summaries are here, with links to the relevant discussion threads within them:

https://boards.cgccomics.com/blogs/blog/628-john-morlars-pence-palace-of-doom-and-other-comic-miscellany/

I'll be keeping an eye open to see which one you post in....

Hide contents

Marvel....:bigsmile:

It's up, and you guessed right.

On 1/21/2023 at 3:05 PM, divad said:

Unless you chose your copies when you unpacked the bundles. :bigsmile:

I actually did, the distributors facility was less than 3 miles (a short bike ride) from my house. When I was 12-13 years old I just rode up and asked, using my boyish charm, if I could cherry pick. Did that for a couple summers in the late 70's but it wasn't always successful, depended on who was working that day. As for the comics delivered to the stores I worked at in the early-mid 80's, they had already been handled by several workers who were not concerned with preservation by the time they were delivered in totes and checked in individually by hand. Because workers were pressed for time, many tics and stress lines were created loading, unloading, checking-in & stocking. Those metal wire spinner racks and wire endcap racks didn't help either. :preach:

On 1/21/2023 at 3:01 PM, divad said:

The newsstand phenomena is particularly absurd as most of us collectors (from the sixties and early 70s) eschewed the appearance of the barcode from its very beginning . . . and on the front cover?!? Absolutely no need to impact the cover art. :sumo:

The comic collecting phenomena is particularly absurd as most of us comic buyers (from the thirties and early 40s) threw those things away as soon as we were done with them . . . and saving them in high grade?!? Absolutely no need to worry about the condition. :sumo:

On 1/23/2023 at 8:05 AM, valiantman said:

The comic collecting phenomena is particularly absurd as most of us comic buyers (from the thirties and early 40s) threw those things away as soon as we were done with them . . . and saving them in high grade?!? Absolutely no need to worry about the condition. :sumo:

Purely anecdotal . . . :bigsmile: