• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM - Batman 181
2 2

17 posts in this topic

Hi, Old Newbie here. Now retired going through my comics I have had since my youth. Unfortunately most were well read and not much of value today. But then at the time early 1960s, they were great entertaiment.

I saw the this comic was popular with collectors. I would appredciate your time in reviewing the attached scans and providing any thoughts to grades and if a clean and press would help improve the grade.  The back cover is pretty dirty.

Thanks in advance!

Batman #181 F  031.jpg

Batman #181 B  032.jpg

Structurally intact (cover attached at both staples, intact spine, no missing pieces, no long tears); significant color-breaking creasing, handling stress, and shelf wear; non color-breaking bends and wrinkles; heavy soiling and moderate staining.  In the 2000s, CGC would most likely award this copy a 2.0 or 2.5.  Today, you're probably looking at a 2.5 or 3.0 (as is).  I could see a skilled professional transforming this into a CGC 4.0 copy with a proper non-restorative dry cleaning and pressing (although I'd expect that professional to charge 2x/3x his/her normal rate because of the book's extensive soiling and heavy wrinkling).  All this being said, I'd defer to @joeypost, should he choose to offer an opinion.  (thumbsu

On 1/11/2023 at 8:05 PM, zzutak said:

Structurally intact (cover attached at both staples, intact spine, no missing pieces, no long tears); significant color-breaking creasing, handling stress, and shelf wear; non color-breaking bends and wrinkles; heavy soiling and moderate staining.  In the 2000s, CGC would most likely award this copy a 2.0 or 2.5.  Today, you're probably looking at a 2.5 or 3.0 (as is).  I could see a skilled professional transforming this into a CGC 4.0 copy with a proper non-restorative dry cleaning and pressing (although I'd expect that professional to charge 2x/3x his/her normal rate because of the book's extensive soiling and heavy wrinkling).  All this being said, I'd defer to @joeypost, should he choose to offer an opinion.  (thumbsu

Thank you for your extensive review and remarks, it really helps! I am thinking of sending this comic to CGC for cleaning and pressing. It will be my first time submission.  I have heard about the long turn around times for grading/cleaning/pressing, but I am not in any hurry.  So I ordered their shipping box of 10 for ease of submitting. Now to find another nine comics of value to fill the box. I'll post some more comics for review later. Again appreciate the comments and insights.

On 1/12/2023 at 9:49 PM, MAR1979 said:

3.0- 4.0 dependent on grader

if book is "frail" a clean and pressing  might damage it?  IMHO consult with pro like joeyp

Thank you for the cautionary insight. I don’t think the comic is frail but I really don’t have a good sense of what is and what isn’t frail. I am really new at this so please bear with me. Who is joeyp and how does one contact him. Thanks!

On 1/12/2023 at 10:51 PM, juniperpt said:

Thank you for the cautionary insight. I don’t think the comic is frail but I really don’t have a good sense of what is and what isn’t frail. I am really new at this so please bear with me. Who is joeyp and how does one contact him. Thanks!

username = joeypost

@juniperpt

I believe there is a stain on the back cover.  The stain is above "Monster Queen" medal.  If the stain is in present, that is a grade killer.   Even if you have someone to do the cleaning & pressing, it probably won't boost the grade.  It may stay in Good/Very Good range. 

Take a good look at CGC 4.0 and CGC 3.5 copies (don't look at the raw copies) - https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ivitems=5237791#54775543

That link will give you a better perspective/glimpse for your book.  I have a strong feeling toward 3.0.

Yes, you are correct about the stain on the back cover. Looking at it closer, the stain fortunately has not penetrated through the back cover and onto the last page. But while examing, i noticed another stain on the back cover, bottom right. Maybe a water stain? And on back cover, left edge, across from "Vac-U-Form" there is a small tear. The more I look, the more I find. Ugh.

The example comic you refer to looks cleaner than my copy. Do you know if the comic was cleaned and pressed?

The CGC census has a sweetspot at 4.0 so that would be my goal with a clean and press.

Appreciate your time, comments and grade!

IMG_1434.jpg

IMG_1433.jpg