• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM - ASM #67
1 1

15 posts in this topic

On 1/12/2023 at 6:08 PM, WilliamLunt said:

Is the front cover photo still within the bag? It would help more if it wasn't

Beautiful book, 7.0

Yes, The comic was in the bag when I scanned both front and back sides. I didn't want to disturb the comic so I took out just the backer board. Going forward I will remove the comic from the bag prior to scanning. Thank you for viewing and your comments!

On 1/12/2023 at 10:22 PM, scburdet said:

Foxing on the back I think keeps this more like 6.0/6.5

I noticed that the back cover had a brown tinge to it. So that is called foxing. Does foxing come out with a clean and press? Thanks!

On 1/12/2023 at 11:48 PM, juniperpt said:

Does foxing come out

I'm not an expert, but my impression is that a standard clean (removal of surface grime) is not an effective way to remove foxing (mold that permeates the paper). It can be removed to so degree by a professional restorer. It may be a case of cost/benefit though. FMV of this in the low 9s is ~$300. I don't see a low 9 here even if there was no foxing. It depends on how much a cleaning would cost to move the needle from a $100 book to a $200 book and still keeping a universal label. Going after more aggressive cleaning makes more sense when the books are worth thousands of $$$ where improved grades can really mean a difference in asking price. Personally, I would be conservative with a book like this. Do the standard c/p and have a nice looking 6 or 7.

6.0/6.5 largely due to the impacted corner best seen on the back cover bottom right corner.

If you press it out probably about a 7.0 afterward.

Thanks for posting.

On 1/13/2023 at 12:29 AM, scburdet said:

I'm not an expert, but my impression is that a standard clean (removal of surface grime) is not an effective way to remove foxing (mold that permeates the paper). It can be removed to so degree by a professional restorer. It may be a case of cost/benefit though. FMV of this in the low 9s is ~$300. I don't see a low 9 here even if there was no foxing. It depends on how much a cleaning would cost to move the needle from a $100 book to a $200 book and still keeping a universal label. Going after more aggressive cleaning makes more sense when the books are worth thousands of $$$ where improved grades can really mean a difference in asking price. Personally, I would be conservative with a book like this. Do the standard c/p and have a nice looking 6 or 7.

Good read, thanks for your insights and suggestions! 

On 1/15/2023 at 8:00 PM, grendelbo said:

6.0/6.5 largely due to the impacted corner best seen on the back cover bottom right corner.

If you press it out probably about a 7.0 afterward.

Thanks for posting.

Seems like I have a bad time with corners. They are either damaged or missing. Thanks for your time and grade!