• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Inspiration for The Joker

5 posts in this topic

Ran across this in a trivia type of posting of rare photographs.  

Conrad Veidt, the original inspiration for the Joker, from the 1928 film "The Man Who Laughs."

Conrad Veidt was the master of changing his look to suit his roles, and in The Man Who Laughs he transformed himself completely in order to look like a sideshow freak who was forced to smile for the rest of his life. More similar to The Hunchback of Notre Dame than modern horror films, Veidt’s turn as the character has influenced both the horror genre and one of the most beloved villains of the 20th century. While creating the initial design for the Joker, Batman’s nemesis, the artists behind the world’s greatest detective studied Veidt’s look and used it to create their favorite forever smiling character.  This is what Bob Kane had to say about the origin of the Joker.

"Bill Finger and I created the Joker. Bill was the writer. Jerry Robinson came to me with a playing card of the Joker. That's the way I sum it up. But he looks like Conrad Veidt — you know, the actor in The Man Who Laughs, [the 1928 movie based on the novel] by Victor Hugo. There's a photo of Conrad Veidt in my biography, Batman & Me. So Bill Finger had a book with a photograph of Conrad Veidt and showed it to me and said, 'Here's the Joker.'"

Original Joker.jpg

Just for the sake of contributing more Joker trivia, while Gwenplaine clearly influenced creation of the JokerVeidt's prior role as Cesare probably influenced Paul Leni to cast him in that role.

Conrad Veidt was responsible for two of cinema's greatest silent era horror portrayals ...the first, as Cesare in Robert Weine's The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) which ushered in German Expressionist cinema. Given this portrayal, it anticipates his role in Paul Leni's US production of The Man Who Laughs.  So, Cesare musta been the pre-Joker Joker! Both films are highly recommended!

arts-caligari-option-1.jpeg

:cheers: