• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about Wolverine #102.5 Wizard Authentic Edition

19 posts in this topic

In 1996 there was a promotional comic called “Wolverine Special #102.5” which could only be ordered through an offer in Wizard Magazine. Wizard offered both a “normal” version and a “Wizard Authentic” version that had a small hologram sticker and was signed by Boris Vallejo, who painted the cover. A few years back I picked up a slabbed copy of the Wizard Authentic version and thought nothing of the green label…I assumed that every slabbed copy would be qualified because the signatures from 1996 weren’t witnessed. To my surprise, I checked the registry today and saw that there are actually 6 blue-label copies, including a 9.2 and a 9.0. My question is, how is this even possible when every copy of this book was sold with a signature on it? The only thing that makes any sense to me is that some people actually removed the signature before submitting it for grading (either by just rubbing off the ink or using some sort of chemical), but it seems crazy to me that a book can still get a high-ish grade after someone deliberately altered it from how it was originally sold.AF598307-44E6-432A-A896-7CAF56E344E9.thumb.jpeg.a8104be3977f9918b729b03846d6239e.jpegC1F0D6BB-49B4-47C5-9830-818AF3B360EF.thumb.jpeg.1c607610aa3b46b12585b3787f9e5ed7.jpeg

On 1/27/2023 at 6:05 PM, Semicentennial said:

They probably took a hit on the grade.  Green labels will ignore certain defects, whereas blue labels won't. 

You’ll notice that even in the green label books there’s nothing above a 9.4 because Wizard did a terrible job of handling these and packing then for shipping. The fact that there‘s a blue label 9.2 and a 9,0 (pretty close to the highest-graded green labels) is what’s bugging me.

On 1/28/2023 at 1:50 AM, Lazyboy said:

Have you ever seen any of the blue label copies or are you just going by the CGC Census, which is definitely accurate because CGC is so good at labeling things properly?

Point well taken. I understand that the folks at CGC are human and prone to the occasional mistake, but if there are 2 (or maybe even 6, or maybe even more?) census errors on a book that only has 44 graded copies in total that kind of bums me out.

Wouldn’t it also depend on when the blue label books were graded? There are blue labels  books, of other titles and issues, that have signatures on them in 9.8.  When did CGC start using the green qualified labels? These books could’ve been graded before those labels became available.

Edited by Catwomancomics

On 1/30/2023 at 9:14 AM, Catwomancomics said:

Wouldn’t it also depend on when the blue label books were graded? There are blue labels  books, of other titles and issues, that have signatures on them in 9.8.  When did CGC start using the green qualified labels? These books could’ve been graded before those labels became available.

9.8 blue with a cover signature?   I don’t think so 

Got an example?

On 1/30/2023 at 8:29 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

9.8 blue with a cover signature?   I don’t think so 

Got an example?

not 9.8 but 

3917724_Full_Obv.jpg?t=MTIvMjMvMjAyMSA4OjMzOjA2IEFN

On 1/30/2023 at 8:14 AM, Catwomancomics said:

It is not because green labels were "unavailable", it is because someone took a grade hit with the blue label taking the sig across the book into account, so any 9.8 blue would be more of an anomaly. 

On 1/30/2023 at 9:43 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

not 9.8 but 

3917724_Full_Obv.jpg?t=MTIvMjMvMjAyMSA4OjMzOjA2IEFN

It is not because green labels were "unavailable", it is because someone took a grade hit with the blue label taking the sig across the book into account, so any 9.8 blue would be more of an anomaly. 

Wow, I figured that the mid-graded blue label 102.5’s may have just taken a grade hit, but I didn’t realize that an unwitnessed sig could still get a blue 9.0 or better. Anyone know what the highest possible Universal grade could be on a signed/unwitnessed book (if submitted today, I mean)?

On 1/30/2023 at 9:48 AM, andyborehol said:

Wow, I figured that the mid-graded blue label 102.5’s may have just taken a grade hit, but I didn’t realize that an unwitnessed sig could still get a blue 9.0 or better. Anyone know what the highest possible Universal grade could be on a signed/unwitnessed book (if submitted today, I mean)?

10.0 if you have the money

CGC's history of consistent label practices with Wizard Authentic Editions... isn't great. I'd assume regular copies, mislabeled. But it's also possible that they briefly opted to not deduct for the sticker and forgot to label swap due to the sig. Or that they really, really overgraded a couple copies.

Or that they're just Registry errors.

Until (unless?) we see them, it's pretty impossible to know. Regardless, I'll echo the observation that nearly all Wizard Authentic Editions look like they were handled by someone who wanted vengeance for all those Scantron forms they were prevented from folding, spindling, or mutilating in their youth.

The entire "wizard authentic" BS was fought in the registry forum some years ago when I was trying to get them completely removed from the X-Men set. Eventually it was settled that they would stay in the set but would not count for points which is still terrible. Given what happened last year with the Black Flag Ultimate Fallout books, CGC only has a problem with "aftermarket" add-ons when the money isn't going in their pocket.