• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signing over unwitnessed signature to get rid of qualified
2 2

6 posts in this topic

So basically I have a comic I had signed in my youth by Jim Lee in ball point pen before CGC existed. I have since had the book signed through CGC by Scott Williams so it currently has the green/Gold qualified label. 

my question is this, if I was to have Jim Lee sign over the ballpoint pen sig with a thicker marker so that the pen sig was no longer visible could I then rid my book of it’s qualified status?

it’s something that has been bothering me forever and I’d love to have this is a clean Gold Label

thanks 

• Administrator

Hello again @Hot Nickels . I checked with my signature series team, and they said because we have a record of the book having a previously unwitnessed signature, this book is unable to qualify for a full gold label since Jim Lee’s original signature was not witnessed. We're really sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. Please kindly let us know if you need anything further.

Ok. I can see that position. But I hope this topic gets revisited by whomever established these rules. If the pen sig is completely covered it effectively ceases to exist. Therefore this rule is tantamount to refusing to raise the grade of an encapsulated book after a press because it has a record of having said crease even though the crease was removed. 

On 1/29/2023 at 8:48 AM, Hot Nickels said:

Ok. I can see that position. But I hope this topic gets revisited by whomever established these rules. If the pen sig is completely covered it effectively ceases to exist. Therefore this rule is tantamount to refusing to raise the grade of an encapsulated book after a press because it has a record of having said crease even though the crease was removed. 

I agree with you. If you can press out a crease and re-grade the book like it never existed, then why cant you get a sharpie the would completely cover up a ball point pen sig, and pretend that old sig never existed? lol Only make sense right. 

On 1/31/2023 at 1:45 PM, eastbayrudy said:

I agree with you. If you can press out a crease and re-grade the book like it never existed, then why cant you get a sharpie the would completely cover up a ball point pen sig, and pretend that old sig never existed? lol Only make sense right. 

Rudy gets it!!