• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Emerald City Comic Con
1 1

45 posts in this topic

For anyone seriously trying to decide whether to go to ECCC, keep in mind that Chloe works for the Discovery Institute. You can go to their website and they’ll tell you what they’re about. And that news report is from a Sinclair station. If those are sources you trust than by all means skip the con, but if you’re less inclined to take their word for keep an open mind

On 2/5/2023 at 9:25 PM, Natty Bumpo said:

For anyone seriously trying to decide whether to go to ECCC, keep in mind that Chloe works for the Discovery Institute. You can go to their website and they’ll tell you what they’re about. And that news report is from a Sinclair station. If those are sources you trust than by all means skip the con, but if you’re less inclined to take their word for keep an open mind

Ah, gotta love a think tank still tackling the burning question of if evolution is real or not.

On 2/5/2023 at 7:25 PM, Natty Bumpo said:

from the seattle times: 

Seattle violent crime hits 15-year high

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/law-justice/seattle-violent-crime-hits-15-year-high-other-takeaways-from-new-report/

According to the report, "Overall citywide crime increased by four percent (1,834) compared to 2021," the 2022 report states. "The percentages may appear lower but reported crime for 2021 was at an all-time high. 2022 totals have now exceeded that with 49,577 reported violent and property crimes. Aggravated Assault and Motor Vehicle Theft were significantly high in 2022 when compared to a five-year weighted average."

the article is behind a paywall, but you get the idea. it's easy to expose some critics as extremists, nutjobs, or whatever, but it's delusional to pretend things are just fine there. many dealers no longer participate in emerald city comic con for this reason. and i am not interested in bringing my 8 year old to that show, which is a bummer, since it's something i would have loved to attend with him in better times. 

Edited by alexgross.com

On 2/18/2023 at 9:09 AM, alexgross.com said:

Was able to read the article.  It looks like the article has been edited and that quote is no longer there.  I got the impression the article was expanded.  For example, Motor Vehicle Theft currently has a separate heading/paragraph.

If anyone wants to crunch the numbers, the article is based on the City of Seattle's reporting and included links:

https://seattle.gov/documents/Departments/Police/Reports/2022_SPD_CRIME_REPORT_FINAL.pdf

https://www.seattle.gov/police/information-and-data/crime-dashboard

I've never been to the show (maybe one day).  Maybe folks can give us their impressions after the convention.

Edited by Will_K

I don’t deny that crime is up in major cities across the U.S., and that violent crime is up too. But there are more and less accurate ways to write and think about risk, and better and worse places to get information.

On a lighter note, I grew up reading Marvel comics in the 1980’s and 90s, so I just assumed there was mugging in every alley every night, and the streets were thick with car chases and purse snatchers. I was very disappointed by the relative calm of Manhattan when I saw it in person.

On 2/18/2023 at 10:59 PM, Natty Bumpo said:

I don’t deny that crime is up in major cities across the U.S., and that violent crime is up too. But there are more and less accurate ways to write and think about risk, and better and worse places to get information.

On a lighter note, I grew up reading Marvel comics in the 1980’s and 90s, so I just assumed there was mugging in every alley every night, and the streets were thick with car chases and purse snatchers. I was very disappointed by the relative calm of Manhattan when I saw it in person.

The reason comics showed a lot crime in NY during those years was because there WAS a lot of crime in NY at that time -- six murders a day, on average, a rate 5x higher than now.

The thing to remember is criminals don't care about your politics. An axe is an axe. The guy with the hammer who murdered someone in broad daylight downtown? That story is fascinating... police were running a surveillance on an undercover drug deal that day, noted the hammer guy and actually called in a marked unit. Unfortunately, hammer guy killed his victim before that unit could arrive. If the police aren't quick enough to respond to that, what do you think is going to happen to you when you dial 911?

Facts matter. Seattle is down a sizable number of officers. Seattle is allowing open encampment of homeless downtown. Seattle operates a needle exchange location right near the convention center. Further, I know from experience many homeless suffer from untreated mental illness and alcohol/drug addiction. They can often be violent because they need to protect themselves from other homeless. If these are facts you are comfortable with, than by all means go.

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 2/18/2023 at 8:59 PM, Natty Bumpo said:

I will respectively disagree with you.  I live in a "city" of approximately 100,000 residents.  Crime here is through the roof.  In our neighborhood (avg home price $1.5 million so not a bad area) they are so brazen they break into a car, open get the garage door opener and go in to your garage while you sleep.  Cops can only take a report for your insurance.

On 2/20/2023 at 7:48 AM, batman_fan said:

I will respectively disagree with you.  I live in a "city" of approximately 100,000 residents.  Crime here is through the roof.  In our neighborhood (avg home price $1.5 million so not a bad area) they are so brazen they break into a car, open get the garage door opener and go in to your garage while you sleep.  Cops can only take a report for your insurance.

One of the guys I work with had this happen to him from DIA.  The criminal was not a bright guy (he had been wanted for a few break-ins in your neck of the woods) and when he got caught he listed his profession as "heroin dealer".

I attended yesterday. I'd guess attendance was back up to pre-COVID numbers. The new convention center is great - no more maze or long hikes to get to other buildings. The improved security is a breeze even with a backpack. It's a lot brighter in Artist Alley which one artist mentioned is a welcome improvement for commissions. There was a great selection of art from artists. I picked up pieces from the artists I'd planned to see, and several pages I found on random stops.

The plan to scare everyone into staying home paid off!

On 3/2/2023 at 4:50 PM, Xatari said:

I am downtown today. For anyone scared by this thread, the area around the convention is clean and welcoming. The city spent a ton of money renovating the center. It’s pretty nice. DA5C8EF4-5B3C-4F3F-B9DA-E997A06B1DE6.thumb.jpeg.00a450ff9681739d07afd76f7358004b.jpeg8091B256-A98C-4707-A983-67ED34D846EE.thumb.jpeg.45cbc4eda35dd80705805f70e5cbe26a.jpeg

Yikes! Looks like another uncontrollable spill of dihydrogen monoxide hit the downtown area. No thanks!

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/dangers-dihydrogen-monoxide/

On 2/5/2023 at 6:00 PM, thehumantorch said:

Yikes

But the homeless encampments on Twitter of Olympia (capital? of WA state) are far south of Tacoma, WA which is south of Seattle, WA ECCC. Next time u visit Vancouver, BC, I can show u 300-600 homeless any day of the week in the downtown Eastside unfortunately.

On 1/31/2023 at 8:43 AM, KirbyCollector said:

At the NJ con last summer, I got a good look at a lot of our fellow collectors. Let's just say the vast majority are not as young or as fit as you are, Mike, and thus might not be able to outrun your average axe-wielding maniac while toting a Mountain Dew and a 14x17 Itoya :eek:

Heeeey - I resemble that remark! (in the immortal words of the Three Stooges) 

On 3/4/2023 at 3:02 PM, aardvark88 said:

But the homeless encampments on Twitter of Olympia (capital? of WA state) are far south of Tacoma, WA which is south of Seattle, WA ECCC. Next time u visit Vancouver, BC, I can show u 300-600 homeless any day of the week in the downtown Eastside unfortunately.

I'm well aware of Vancouver's problems with homelessness.  My sister volunteers time at a street church about 15 years ago and toured me around, I was shocked.   I can only imagine it's much worse now.

On 3/3/2023 at 10:46 PM, roboticplanet said:

I attended yesterday. I'd guess attendance was back up to pre-COVID numbers. The new convention center is great - no more maze or long hikes to get to other buildings. The improved security is a breeze even with a backpack. It's a lot brighter in Artist Alley which one artist mentioned is a welcome improvement for commissions. There was a great selection of art from artists. I picked up pieces from the artists I'd planned to see, and several pages I found on random stops.

My one problem with the new center is there's only one set of escalators, the old one had at least three that I knew of.  Trying to change floors got very crowded today.

Otherwise, loving the show, as usual!