• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Studios' SUPERMAN written & directed by James Gunn (2025)
3 3

277 posts in this topic

On 5/8/2023 at 7:28 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

As many people have said before: Just because it's in the comics, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

In all fairness Rocket Raccoon and Polka-Dot man don't sound like good ideas but Gunn pulled them off.  I think he will be fine with Crypto.  

Edited by eastriver400

On 5/8/2023 at 11:20 AM, eastriver400 said:

In all fairness Rocket Raccoon and Polka-Dot man don't sound like good ideas but Gunn pulled them off.  I think he will be fine with Crypto.  

"...pulled them off..."

That's an opinion, of course. I would say that Gunn didn't "pull off" Polka-Dot Man. The actor did a great job, but all the mommy issues were just eye-rolling to me (and many others).

If you're gonna equate Superman to GotG or TSS, then this film is dead before it starts shooting.

On 5/8/2023 at 12:39 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

"...pulled them off..."

That's an opinion, of course. I would say that Gunn didn't "pull off" Polka-Dot Man. The actor did a great job, but all the mommy issues were just eye-rolling to me (and many others).

If you're gonna equate Superman to GotG or TSS, then this film is dead before it starts shooting.

Not equating Superman to GOTG or TSS. Not for a second.  Just saying if he could do what he does with D list characters, he will ROCK this one. Time will tell.  I’m hopeful. 

On 5/8/2023 at 2:07 PM, eastriver400 said:

Not equating Superman to GOTG or TSS. Not for a second.  Just saying if he could do what he does with D list characters, he will ROCK this one. Time will tell.  I’m hopeful. 

That makes literally no sense, dude. Just because I can redesign a car that nobody has heard of does not mean that I can redesign the Ford GT.

On 5/8/2023 at 3:20 PM, eastriver400 said:

it does make sense. So much sense that WB is staking unimaginable amounts of $ in Gunn’s vision and entrusting him with the biggest IP in the genre. 

I think at this point it is hard to say where this will land. But with previous Gunn contributions, they have been good to great.

For me, I'm extremely disappointed all the cancellations and previous work write-offs Gunn/Safran delivered to go it on their own. Dismissing any of the previous work unless they had a hand in it. Henry Cavill, Ben Affleck and Gal Gadot had more than a few years to offer so as to wrap up their stories.

On 5/8/2023 at 4:14 PM, Bosco685 said:

I think at this point it is hard to say where this will land. But with previous Gunn contributions, they have been good to great.

For me, I'm extremely disappointed all the cancellations and previous work write-offs Gunn/Safran delivered to go it on their own. Dismissing any of the previous work unless they had a hand in it. Henry Cavill, Ben Affleck and Gal Gadot had more than a few years to offer so as to wrap up their stories.

Unfortunately they inherited a MESS.  I would have liked some closure too. However how much more could we expect WB to keep beating a dead horse? How many more 100s of millions lost and continued damage to their most important and recognizable IPs can they take? 

How defeatist can some factions of the DC fandom be to want Gunn to fail? It’s nuts. 

On 5/8/2023 at 10:16 PM, eastriver400 said:

Unfortunately they inherited a MESS.  I would have liked some closure too. However how much more could we expect WB to keep beating a dead horse? How many more 100s of millions lost and continued damage to their most important and recognizable IPs can they take? 

How defeatist can some factions of the DC fandom be to want Gunn to fail? It’s nuts. 

The first Wonder Woman made $822.9M WW. And even with all the negativity toward the film, BVS made $873.6M (I know the old story "WB expected to make billions"). Along with Aquaman making the most of any DC film ($1,148.5B). And with poorly placed Shazam, it still did $367.8M on a $100M budget (should have been a Christmas movie).

So the new team comes in and implies there will be a reboot - wait not a reboot. A partial reboot. Maybe a somewhat reboot. Oh heck - a selective reboot. Which then disrupts Shazam 2's box office results. Ends Stargirl, Doom Patrol, Pennyworth, Young Justice and Titans. Puts out hit pieces to blame any disruption in recent roadmap planning on Dwayne Johnson, the biggest action star currently - and tosses out Henry Cavill as too old (39 at the time - now 40). Notes that Ben Affleck won't be Batman but will direct one of the pending projects - to which Affleck notes politely he won't direct anything in the Gunn/Safran Universe of films.

With that fine early messaging and confusion, it's the DC fans that are the problem because we won't let go of the past? Okay.

On 5/8/2023 at 3:20 PM, eastriver400 said:

it does make sense. So much sense that WB is staking unimaginable amounts of $ in Gunn’s vision and entrusting him with the biggest IP in the genre.

Deferring to WB's decision-making is really not the argument you want to make here.