• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Studios' SUPERMAN written & directed by James Gunn (2025)
3 3

277 posts in this topic

In the three months he’s been running DC Studios with Peter Safran, writer-director James Gunn has been unusually (and some would say refreshingly) candid for a Hollywood studio executive. His propensity to speak his mind was again on full display early this week when he and his partner, Peter Safran, briefed reporters on their ambitious slate during a presentation on the Warner Bros. lot.

Among several choice comments peppered with profanities, Gunn said previous DC regimes were “:censored: up” and, at another point in the presentation, insisted that former Superman star Henry Cavill was “:censored: around” by the studio.

Gunn also took aim at release dates, saying the industry puts far too much emphasis on meeting a date, versus making sure the movie is in good shape. (This may help to explain why only two of the projects he and Safran revealed, Superman: Legacy and The Batman Part II, were dated. Both will hit theaters in 2025.)

Edited by Bosco685

This is automatically a reboot, correct?

Man of Steel has Clark becoming Superman around age 33, just after discovering his father's consciousness and Kryptonian heritage in the ship key.

If this movie is for him at age 25 (in Man of Steel), Clark wasn't Superman and wouldn't have known his Kryptonian heritage (other than he wasn't from Earth).

On 2/2/2023 at 2:20 PM, valiantman said:

Man of Steel has Clark becoming Superman around age 33, just after discovering his father's consciousness and Kryptonian heritage in the ship key.

If this movie is for him at age 25 (in Man of Steel), Clark wasn't Superman and wouldn't have known his Kryptonian heritage (other than he wasn't from Earth).

They're "rebooting" into the "DCU", but to what extent is entirely confusing, because some actors are apparently 'sticking around' while others have been canned.

I'm personally checked-out, because I was told that it's going to be one cohesive universe. However, there's still going to be "Elseworlds" movies, including multiple Supermen and multiple Batmen. So, it's really not a full reboot and it's not entirely cohesive.

Despite the lack of clarity, all we really know is that this movie is unrelated to Cavill's Superman.

On 2/2/2023 at 2:29 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

They're "rebooting" into the "DCU", but to what extent is entirely confusing, because some actors are apparently 'sticking around' while others have been canned.

I'm personally checked-out, because I was told that it's going to be one cohesive universe. However, there's still going to be "Elseworlds" movies, including multiple Supermen and multiple Batmen. So, it's really not a full reboot and it's not entirely cohesive.

Despite the lack of clarity, all we really know is that this movie is unrelated to Cavill's Superman.

Gunn and Safran for some reason made it very clear Cavill and Affleck are not part of this Gods & Monsters Phase 1. Which is still what has thrown me after that very positive announcement that Cavill was back, no matter if Black Adam didn't hit its payday.

And they had an actor that was fanatical over the character, and is only 39. Which troubles me even more with this decision.

On 2/2/2023 at 2:50 PM, Broke as a Joke said:

Can't wait to see a Superman vs Peacemaker confrontation.  Give us all raunch Gunn.

Sure about that?

On 8/9/2021 at 10:27 AM, Broke as a Joke said:

A silly dumb movie.  2 out of 5. So over the top in terms of violent scenes that it fell flat.  Cena should go back to wrestling, he's an awful actor.  I'm glad Disney won't let Gunn do an R Guardians movie because this would be the type of garbage we would get.

:baiting:

On 2/2/2023 at 2:20 PM, valiantman said:

Exactly.

The comments under the Superman: Legacy announcement tweet Bosco posted above are telling.

2 of the top 5 responses on Twitter are: "This sounds like Man of Steel."

In a vacuum, with the log line given, it sounds like the first 1/2 of Man of Steel - young man discovers his powers and comes to deal with them.

So...what?

Edited by Gatsby77

On 2/2/2023 at 12:21 PM, Bosco685 said:

Sure about that?

:baiting:

I stand by my Suicide Squad review.  The Peacemaker show was alot of fun though.  I have no clue what to expect from Gunn with the big talent; expecting slapstick Superman.  That's what works for him even though many fans won't be thrilled to see Superman done that way.

On 2/2/2023 at 4:08 PM, Broke as a Joke said:

I stand by my Suicide Squad review.  The Peacemaker show was alot of fun though.  I have no clue what to expect from Gunn with the big talent; expecting slapstick Superman.  That's what works for him even though many fans won't be thrilled to see Superman done that way.

It does seem like that is when he really shines the most as a director. As a producer and writer, it is going to be interesting who he selects as the director and how much freedom he gives that person. Even with his announcement, he noted that is what is going to be different here in allowing the director's vision to shine through.

"One of the things that is very important for me in all of these movies and TV series is that the director's vision and the vision of the writers and all of the creators is unique and something special. Storytelling is always king, and that's all that matters to us!"

On 2/2/2023 at 12:40 PM, Bosco685 said:

Looking forward to a sensitive Supes sitting on his cape, gripping his manly knees to his barrel chest, & showing off his puffy lips beneath squinty, bedroom eyes. 

On 2/2/2023 at 5:51 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I have zero faith in all of this

I hate to say it as I want to have just as much excitement with DC content. But this movie and a brand new Batman in Brave and the Bold seems off.