• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question
2 2

12 posts in this topic

I had a sales thread that lasted a little over a month. Sent out invoices when it was done. 

Someone took a book in the thread as an :takeit:. Noticed not too long after that right around the time I sent the invoice that he edited the post to “canceled”. I understand the sale went for almost a month, but does that give someone the right to cancel the sale after claiming the book? And…nothing but radio silence after I PM’d with payment info. 

Marketplace rules don't seem to indicate an appropriate response time for a seller to a claim.

However, as a buyer and subsequently as a seller:

BUYERS: Prompt responses must be made to buy requests made through the Boards either by posting in the sale thread or sending a private message. 

what is considered prompt for both seller and buyer? I would consider prompt within 24 hours..my $.02

Claiming a book in a sales thread is supposed to constitute a binding agreement for both parties. As the HOS/Probation rules state, deadbeats can't be nominated until 30 days have gone by. However, that doesn't mean that the nominee won't earn a spot on anyone's private list in the meantime. It looks like he hasn't logged into the Boards since the day he made the "cancel" post but he's still active on ebay.

• Administrator
On 2/3/2023 at 9:12 AM, Funnybooks said:

Marketplace rules don't seem to indicate an appropriate response time for a seller to a claim.

However, as a buyer and subsequently as a seller:

BUYERS: Prompt responses must be made to buy requests made through the Boards either by posting in the sale thread or sending a private message. 

what is considered prompt for both seller and buyer? I would consider prompt within 24 hours..my $.02

CGC stays out of board transactions.  We set a list of rules that sellers need to include in their for sale thread   that we do enforce, and include some guidelines.  When it comes to situations like @joeypost is referring to, we stay out of it.  This is left up to the members to decide.  Here is a link for the probation/hall of shame rules that forum members decided on.

I live by two simple rules when I post a :takeit:

1) I’m committing to a puchase

2) I don’t  :takeit:if I don’t have the $$

If the buyer was dissatisfied with the invoice time, it’s on them to PM the seller and ask for the invoice. Not sure if the length of sale was noted at the start but if it goes beyond 30 days a post offering a cash out should be enough. Sounds probation worthy to me.

Edited by universal soldier
spelling, friends don't let friends post drunk.

As a buyer, if I posted an "I'll take it" and later had second thoughts, I'd contact the seller and explain the situation, but if they wanted to hold my feet to the fire, I'd suck it up and buy the book. I think if I was a seller and someone posted a take but immediately edited it (due to whatever reason: overzealous, already owned it and made a mistake, etc.), I'd just ignore it as long as the amount of time between take and edit was so small as to not sour other buyers. At the end of the day though, I don't know that you can enforce someone to buy a "taken" book if they really don't want to, but I think you should be able to block them from further purchases and make it known to other sellers as a potential red flag, much like we do with the "eBay blocked buyers" thread here on the boards. Either way, my own opinion is that communication is always key, and radio silence does a disservice to all involved.