• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sharks in pulps?
1 1

19 posts in this topic

Hi all! I do research about the portrayal of sharks - whether positively or negatively. scientifically plausible or implausible, which species and so on - and I'm hoping folks in the community here can give me some insight into where and how they appear in pulps (and early adventure and military comics). I'm interested in both cover portrayals (if there are any) as well as narratives. These would presumably be primarily in 'adventure' stories but I'm interested in any genre. Any suggestions for where to start would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

As I go along, would it be ok if from time to time I posted some results on this thread? It is unlikely any of what I post, certainly at first, would be books I possess and some will likely be comics. At first it will mostly be covers and stories scanned by others that are available in various digital archives and perhaps later items I scan myself.

On 2/7/2023 at 10:05 PM, JJinLV said:

As I go along, would it be ok if from time to time I posted some results on this thread? It is unlikely any of what I post, certainly at first, would be books I possess and some will likely be comics. At first it will mostly be covers and stories scanned by others that are available in various digital archives and perhaps later items I scan myself.

In general, yes, that's fine.  If you're going more heavily comics than pulps you might want to start a second thread in Comics General, but a few mixed in are fine.

I don't know if we are calling the men's adventure magazines pulps for the purpose of your research (I think they're pulps), but I consider this one the most iconic shark portrayal pulp cover ever.  Mort Kunstler, Adventure 1956-08

sorry for the little image, not my copy and I couldn't find bigger -

Adventure1956-08coverKunstler.jpg.fe4e03b5eb18ab5a4fe28000b4ea37c6.jpg

87196MortKunstlerIFoughttheSeaKillerAdventurecover1956-08.thumb.jpg.5362534519ba72313dc605cc8ab09fe9.jpg

Edited by Darwination