• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Fedex shipping rules
3 3

58 posts in this topic

On 2/8/2023 at 1:17 AM, Gaard said:

We've all wondered 'why 'since CGC implemented this stupid rule. They've repeatedly told us it's for our own good and to prevent theft, however we've not heard of a single instance where a problem that had occurred would've been prevented had this stupid rule been in place at the time. It looks like we now know 'why'.

CGC has repeatedly lied to us - both on their home page and on these boards. (and not just about this)  Par for the course.

Who is "we"? It's not me so it can't be "we all". By the way, nice conspiracy theory... but he got the wrong Black corporation. And since you either don't remember or weren't affected, CGC implemented this rule after the FedEx thefts of CGC boxes coming back to their customers. There were a number of thefts of CGC boxes that were being shipped FedEx back to submitters. I never got the full details but it appeared to affect either solely California or mostly CA as CGC just stopped using FedEx in CA completely. The prevailing theory was insider FedEx employees but I'm not sure anyone knows for sure as I don't know if the thieves were caught. After much whining by submitters in CA as to why CGC would no longer use FedEx (myself included in the whiners) they started using them again but with this new rule in place. So yes there was good reason for this rule and your conspiracy theory holds no water, much as most conspiracy theories.

By the way, it's a very inconvenient rule but if it prevents what happened a few years ago, better inconvenienced than out tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars. Depending on what books were stolen and whether they were properly insured, someone was out potentially a LOT of money. 

My Alex Ross signed book is now going back to CGC for the third time (original signing, cracked slab and today...plastic shards in the case).

Yes, CGC will pay for shipping and reholders, but I have to pack and drive the boxes to a FedEx location. Even worse, I have no choice as to carrier. I would prefer USPS... I have to wait longer, but if we are not home, I can pick the book up the next day.

UPS is actually pretty good around us, but that is not an option anymore. FedEx messaged me this morning that the book will be delivered on Monday....luckily I was home when it got here this afternoon.... only to go right back.

If a household that is not always home during the day misses those 3 days, CGC makes us pay for reshipping. I would just like a few additional options (even if I pay more for USPS).

Edited by Ron C.

On 8/3/2023 at 10:02 AM, LordRahl said:

Who is "we"? It's not me so it can't be "we all". By the way, nice conspiracy theory... but he got the wrong Black corporation. And since you either don't remember or weren't affected, CGC implemented this rule after the FedEx thefts of CGC boxes coming back to their customers. There were a number of thefts of CGC boxes that were being shipped FedEx back to submitters. I never got the full details but it appeared to affect either solely California or mostly CA as CGC just stopped using FedEx in CA completely. The prevailing theory was insider FedEx employees but I'm not sure anyone knows for sure as I don't know if the thieves were caught. After much whining by submitters in CA as to why CGC would no longer use FedEx (myself included in the whiners) they started using them again but with this new rule in place. So yes there was good reason for this rule and your conspiracy theory holds no water, much as most conspiracy theories.

By the way, it's a very inconvenient rule but if it prevents what happened a few years ago, better inconvenienced than out tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars. Depending on what books were stolen and whether they were properly insured, someone was out potentially a LOT of money. 

Yes, that was the wrong Black Corporation. However, Blackstone buys FedEx shipments in bulk (like 35,000,000 at a time) which is why CGC is all FedEx now.

As far as that rule change, yep I'm sure it was the thefts.

I want to keep bumping this because FedEx is SO terrible and CGC sucks for using them.  

This is now the 4th submission in a row where I get a notification that my package from CGC is being delivered on X date and they just never show up.  I get a "we tried to deliver" message and they 100% did NOT.  Repeat that for 3 days until the last day where they just leave it at my front door with no signature.  

Edited by Beastfeast

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere on these boards where FedEx drivers have some kind of quota they have to meet for the day. I wonder if writing 'we tried' still counts towards that quota?

Although, personally, I haven't had many problems with FedEx, I'd much rather have a choice ... and given the choice, I wouldn't use them.

CGC, by forcing FedEx to be used, is 100% telling it's customers to bite the big one. And who here believes their BS about the reason for switching exclusively to FedEx is for the safety of it's customers shipments?

Glad this thread bumped up.
My past two deliveries, which are sent to my sister's home as I work during the week, just dropped off without a physical signature.
They actually manually enter a random first initial and then my last name (my sister and her family do not share my last name) that it was signed for but they weren't.

In the Ring video for the previous delivery, the driver just placed it by the front door and walked away without knocking.
Who would be liable if either of these packages were then stolen from my sister's doorstep?

@CGC Mike How much feedback is needed to move the needle to at least allow shipments to be rerouted to FedEx pickup locations?

Edited by Chamber of Chills

On 2/8/2023 at 9:06 AM, Sigur Ros said:

Ah yes, FedEx....

Just received a mechanical error fix (that has to be re-sent again for more of the same error), from FedEx.

The day of delivery they said no one was home to sign for the package, then the next day they just left it on the porch anyway, no doorbell or anything.

This is my experience with FedEx.  Well, at least one of their drivers.  I'm always home, but the delivery guy gives me 20-30 seconds to get to the door, then leaves the package on the porch after signing for it himself (it was a signature-required package).  One time the shipping status showed somebody that didn't even live here signed for it even though I caught him in time.  This last time another driver delivered the signature-required package and I sarcastically said "wow, you guys actually let the recipient sign for the package?  One of your drivers signs for me and leaves packages on the porch."  He laughed and said "yeah, we get that a lot for some drivers".

I guess if the package is stolen off the porch all these companies care about is that there was a signature and "there's nothing [they] can do about it".  Hopefully people have security cameras to show nobody but the driver signed for it.

• Administrator
On 10/4/2023 at 7:29 PM, Chamber of Chills said:

@CGC Mike How much feedback is needed to move the needle to at least allow shipments to be rerouted to FedEx pickup locations?

I have not been  notified of any changes in our shipping policy.  Some suggestions have been posted in the thread.  Possibly have your submissions shipped to Walgreens, or try to arrange with FedEx to allow you to pick them up at a FedEx facility.

Since a mis-delivered package (in the wind, as the TV detectives would say) that still hasn't been resolved since February, and various other delivery snafus that were less tragic, we got a USPS postal box (more unnecessary $$$). FedEx delivers to that, and the postal employee signs. We see the delivery email and go pick it up as soon as possible. 

PO Boxes now also carry the actual street address of the post office, so the address qualifies for FedEx and UPS deliveries. In the past, they were unable to deliver to PO boxes. 

Edited by Lightning55

On 10/4/2023 at 10:56 PM, Gaard said:

Band-aids.

CGC made a very bad decision, and we're given band-aids.

Band-aids that CGC doesn’t even allow - unless you permanently change your return address to a Walgreens. 

I would LOVE to be able to redirect my packages through CGC and not have to cross my fingers that some idiotic work around helps solve a problem that CGC created. 

Previously, we have also gone directly to the FedEx terminal to intercept the package. That way we eliminated driver issues. Half hour drive each way, through security, wait at the window, hand truck boxes, etc. The po box method was an improvement on that, somewhat. Added box cost, but less travel.

I finally got FedUp with the hassle of waiting around for FedEx drivers that never show up (or completely deliver my packages to the wrong address), I thought I’d try using my local FedEx Ship Center as the return address (as recommended by other forum members here) for my most recent order with CGC.

I highly recommend this approach if you are able pick up. They hold it for up to 5 days so you can go get it in your free time. All you need to do is walk in, show your ID, wait for them to grab your package, and sign. Done in a few short minutes.

On 8/2/2023 at 6:35 PM, Beastfeast said:

Mine was finally delivered yesterday. Wife caught him walking away from out door and had just left it there without a signature. Nice work, FedEx. 

This happens with about half of my CGC deliveries. I call and complain every time, and always get the same "We'll make sure it doesn't happen again" BS.

On 3/11/2023 at 9:40 PM, TheBigJ said:

Greetings and Salutations fellow collectors!

About good ol' Fedex. I run a logistics company. I do not offer Fedex for my clients. USPS and UPS. They have their faults for sure, but FedEx, I'll just say I don't use them. From my understanding Fedex Ground(which I believe is CGC's preferred shipping method) are sub-contractors. They have defined areas and distribute packages for FedEx. They are not FedEx employees. Like other businesses they have difficulty finding workers, and when they do, if they are good at the job or not, is another issue.

That being said, several times I've had packages scheduled for delivery on a certain date. More times than not, they do not make it. The reason is, Business is closed or unavailable. ITS A LIE. Either thy don't have enough help to make the run, not enough time to complete without having to pay more $(Overtime), or not enough packages going that way to make the trip profitable.  So to keep the bosses at FedEx happy and to meet delivery requirements, they say business is closed or unavailable. Covers their . Satisfies some metric. I get it, but it's still %#^%#.

CGC's policy is sound and reasonable. I choose to use FedEx(default) as to providing my own UPS shipper information because I had to do some other verification and I was in a hurry and too lazy. My Bad. I'll take care of this before my next submission. Other collectors may not have this option.

Regardless, no matter what carrier, if you are not using a shipping method/carrier with guaranteed delivery, it's going to happen. Like when u go to the drive thru and they ask you to pull around because you can't wait at the drive thru because they have to keep up to some kind of false metric. But I digress.

Yep. That happened with my delivery this week. I work from home and was here the whole time. On days when I'm expecting a package, I'll occasionally refresh the tracking, because half the time they'll just drop packages in the lobby of my building and I wan't to make sure I get them if the tracking indicates that the item has been delivered. But this week, I refreshed the tracking and they claim an attempt was made about 10 minutes prior. There's no way I wasn't going to hear my bell if they tried that. I called the FedEx phone number and complained. The rep kept apologizing, but I kept repsonding that I wasn't interested in an apology, I wanted an explanation as to why that happened. They always say that they'll investigate to ensure it doesn't happen again, but it keeps on happening.

On 10/4/2023 at 8:44 PM, CGC Mike said:

I have not been  notified of any changes in our shipping policy.  Some suggestions have been posted in the thread.  Possibly have your submissions shipped to Walgreens, or try to arrange with FedEx to allow you to pick them up at a FedEx facility.

This isn't really a solution for people who live in cities and don't own a car. It's enough of a pain when I need to walk to FedEx with a 10-book ME delivery; Trying to walk a mile back with a 25-book shipment isn't going to happen.