• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bob Burdon's Atlanta Storage Unit theft
2 2

67 posts in this topic

Saw this article in the Gemstone Scoop newsletter yesterday. What a sad story. Seems like it is a situation that is happening more and more these days. Bob Storms posted the hit he took this week. And there have been several others in the past few months alone. I know several people in my area who have been hit as well.

I get, people often need some short term storage but why put anything of value in there?  If you have too much stuff, why not get rid of some of it if you can't keep it close to you. A dealer I can understand, but often, I think many collectors just buy and accumulate too much. I have never used or never will put stuff in one of these places. I have especially in the past couple years, gone through my collection and sold off a lot of stuff that just isn't that important to me any more.

By the way, one of my son in laws used to work in a storage facility years ago. He said, the employees knew pretty much everything that came into their facility. He didn't elaborate and I didn't ask. But all it takes is a few loose words...

https://scoop.previewsworld.com/Home/4/1/73/1012?articleID=266658

On 2/11/2023 at 7:03 PM, VintageComics said:

These thefts are horrible things happening to people we know but I believe we are seeing an unravelling of society and this is just the tip of the iceberg.

The West has lived high on the hog for a very long time and got used to it, but it doesn't take a lot of unravelling for it to all fall apart. Homelessness, crime, theft, attacks, addiction, suicide, killings. Everything is through the roof. 

This is a systemic problem.

Worst of all, much of it was likely preventable but people pursued ideologies that were short serving and doomed to fail. 

I wish for nothing but better times but I don't think it's getting better any time soon. 

Agreed. I would only like to say that the evolution of the internet has magnified these things 10X and in a much shorter amount of time. We are almost at 25 solid years of most people having access to the internet. Someone should pull some serious data on how the internet has affected society.

It used to be that if you wanted to espouse a crackpot theory you did so on a street corner with a sign and maybe gained 3 followers total. Now you can do it on the internet (or worse promote hate speech) and gain 2K followers in a week. And the entitlement? The short attention span and impatience?

On 2/11/2023 at 10:17 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

It’s you that decided to go next level responding to a storage unit theft. 

It's you that decided to respond to my response with a quip. 

On 2/11/2023 at 9:03 PM, VintageComics said:

These thefts are horrible things happening to people we know but I believe we are seeing an unravelling of society and this is just the tip of the iceberg.

The West has lived high on the hog for a very long time and got used to it, but it doesn't take a lot of unravelling for it to all fall apart. Homelessness, crime, theft, attacks, addiction, suicide, killings. Everything is through the roof. 

Worst of all, much of it was likely preventable but people pursued ideologies that were short serving and doomed to fail. 

I wish for nothing but better times but I don't think it's getting better any time soon. 

It's funny that you're kind of right, but don't actually know why.

On 2/11/2023 at 7:03 PM, VintageComics said:

I generally agree with this post.  I believe it will get worse in the short term, but it will get better in the long term.  Maybe even much better in the long term.

For those who have suffered from thefts, I sincerely feel for them.  I hope they get some sort of resolution.  :wishluck:

On 2/11/2023 at 10:03 PM, VintageComics said:

Hopefully we can change this and be better! Like the heroes we follow in our comics! 

"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.”