• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay Buyer Wants a Refund Because They Disagree With CGC's Grading
3 3

63 posts in this topic

I sold a CGC signed 9.6 X-Men 107 on Ebay recently and received a message from the buyer that he disagrees with CGC's grading of this book and therefore wants a full refund. He claims that this book should be graded a 7.0, even thought CGC graded it a 9.6. CGC are the professional graders, not the buyer and not me, so to call this book "defective," claim it's a 7.0, and demand a full refund doesn't make sense to me. He received a 9.6, not a 7.0.

Have any of you had to deal with anything similar? My understanding is that Ebay tends to side with buyers regardless of how ridiculous the claims are...

Another concern I have is that the buyer might be trying to scam me. For example, do you think he might be trying to demand a refund, and then keep the book and the refunded money? This refund request smells fishy to me....

X-Men 107.JPG

On 2/11/2023 at 3:45 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

How can he keep the book if he’s asking for a refund?  The buyer doesn’t get refunded until you have the book back. 

I read on here some years ago that a scam artist mailed a package with nothing inside. Ebay uses "tracking" as proof of something being mailed. Maybe I am overthinking the buyer as a scammer, but the main point here is how can someone dispute a CGC grade as a reason for a refund?

The book is professionally graded by CGC and inside the CGC case.

On 2/11/2023 at 4:54 PM, Buried Undah Comics said:

Maybe he doesn't know the Yellow labels are Qualified labels and thinks the sig is damage? The book would be a 7.5 if it wasn't witnessed and a Blue not Green label was requested.

That, or the book suffered SCS en route.  I’d ask the buyer for pics showing why they think it’s a 7.0 not a 9.6

On 2/11/2023 at 3:56 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

That, or the book suffered SCS en route.  I’d ask the buyer for pics showing why they think it’s a 7.0 not a 9.6

The book was not damaged during shipping. The seller provided pictures of the "imperfections" and they are the same "imperfections" as shown in the original listing. The same picture I posted above. There is a tick mark on the spine and the front cover doesn't "align" perfectly on the bottom. This is probably why CGC graded this a 9.6 and not a 9.8.....The buyer thinks this is why the book should be a 7.0. What do you think?

Edited by seredynskib

On 2/11/2023 at 2:50 PM, FrontStands said:

The best thing you can do is get the book back, and then send a refund. And then put their name here. Or you can fight it, and hope they decide to keep the book.

This may be your only course of action with a reasonable chance of getting the book back undamaged (or at all). 

If he claims the book is "not as described", then he is wrong. It's exactly as described - a book graded by CGC to be 9.6 with witnessed signature. 

But if he claims the book is damaged, well then he may have a case (or he may make it the case). 

What experiences do folks here who regularly sell CGC slabs have with buyers who disagree with CGC? 

Edited by jcjames

Ebay does automatic refunds so the buyer does not even have to provide a reason. There are some less than honest buyers who pull stuff like the OP described to try to get a partial refund after purchase. If a seller has to pay to get the book back, and then pay to sell and ship it off to someone else, they may figure it makes more sense to give a discount than bother with all of that. I just ask for the book back and block the buyer - problem solved, at least for that particular person. 

Edited by Stefan_W

I know it’s frustrating, but if buyer feels like the book is not up to par with grading then that is his opinion.

I would recommend to just agree to full refund when he sends book back. Simple as that and if you don’t eBay will do it for you so it’s better if you get ahead of that curve.

When you buy a graded book you are buying the label (which is why many boardies do not accept returns on slabs) but I have returned graded books bought on eBay due to SCS (shaken comic syndrome) related damage. In every instance the comic had damage - usually due to poor packaging - that was not present in the original auction photos. That does not seem to be the case here.

My guess is the buyer will demand a partial credit equal to the value difference between the two grades and, immediately after receiving any credit, will then list the comic for sale at a price even higher than originally paid, claiming the comic was misgraded by CGC and is easily a 9.8...

I have a decent amount of Claremont signed as slabs from that era and this is not a 7.0 book for sure! It is much higher!!! 

He most likely smoked some kush before he sent you the message. Tell him to send you the book back for a refund and I’m certain you will sell it for more once you relist.

That is a nice book my friend!

I guess it depends on your refund policy. If you say no refunds, I'd contact Ebay CS and explain your situation and have them look at the messages. If the item is as described, and he just wants to return it because he's now unhappy, I'd see if you can get them to deny the refund. If you accept refunds, you may have no recourse. I just hope you don't have to pay shipping. You should also note the weights of what you sent and the item returned in case he tries to scam you.

Did the buyer make the request on the return through eBay?   Don't trust the emails but the buyer has to make the request.

I had Bone #3 CGC 9.6 White pages but the buyer received and made the request for the return included close up images.  He thinks the book was damaged by CGC.  I did nothing until the book was returning to me then I issued him the full refund.

CGC has my book now to fix this problem.

On 2/11/2023 at 7:18 PM, Tnexus said:

I just hope you don't have to pay shipping.

I paid him the full refund excluded the shipping cost.