• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Earliest Spider-man appearances

26 posts in this topic

Strange tales annual 2 has frequently been mentioned as the 3rd or 4th Spidey appearance but FF annual 1 was actually published a week before ASM 3 so is it safe to assume that FF annual 1 is the 4th appearance? ST annual 2 is closer to the 5th or 6th since it was published in Sept. of 63'?

On 2/14/2023 at 11:39 AM, gunsmokin said:

Strange tales annual 2 has frequently been mentioned as the 3rd or 4th Spidey appearance but FF annual 1 was actually published a week before ASM 3 so is it safe to assume that FF annual 1 is the 4th appearance? ST annual 2 is closer to the 5th or 6th since it was published in Sept. of 63'?

What source are you getting your information from? Just going by Mike's Amazing World of Comics (might be accurate, might not, I'm not sure), that site has Strange Tales annual #2 on sale the same date as Amazing Spider-Man #4, both listed as June 11th, 1963, while it has FF annual #1 on sale at July 2nd 1963. I agree that the Strange Tales annual #2 appearance would likely be either the 5th or 6th Spidey appearance (depending on which came first, Spidey #4 or ST annual #2), but not because of FF annual #1 in any way. 

On 2/14/2023 at 12:39 PM, Frisco Larson said:

What source are you getting your information from? Just going by Mike's Amazing World of Comics (might be accurate, might not, I'm not sure), that site has Strange Tales annual #2 on sale the same date as Amazing Spider-Man #4, both listed as June 11th, 1963, while it has FF annual #1 on sale at July 2nd 1963. I agree that the Strange Tales annual #2 appearance would likely be either the 5th or 6th Spidey appearance (depending on which came first, Spidey #4 or ST annual #2), but not because of FF annual #1 in any way. 

ST annual 2 was published 6/1. I must have been looking at the listed cover date.

AF 15, ASM 1,2, (Strange Tales 2), 3, 4, (FF annual 1), 5, 6,7, 8   and so it goes until his next appearance in Tales to Astonish 57 that takes place between issues 14 and 15. This info was from Marvel's Spider-Man Chronicle that covers every appearance from the first 50 years. Great book if you're a Spidey fan.

On 2/15/2023 at 5:16 PM, KirbyJack said:

Your post got me thinking about it.

AF 15, ASM 1, 2, Strange Tales ann 2, ASM 3, 4, FF ann 1, 5, and 6 are the first nine appearances.

ASM 7 and ST 115 are both cover dated December 1963. Anyone know which one hit the stands first? A Top Ten List teeters on the result!

Good catch. They completely left that issue out of the Chronicle.

On 2/14/2023 at 4:30 PM, KirbyJack said:

This one also sneaks into the first 10 appearances. Couple the very early Spidey with the fact that it’s also the origin of Dr. Strange, make it IMHO, one of the better values in the SA.

939792D9-C6C3-4F6B-9DDA-B4F4BDEB7A6A.thumb.jpeg.6f3ba70bc768e8092499da3af5bd76c1.jpeg

Agreed, this is still a bargain priced book considering all that you mentioned AND it's the second appearance of the Sandman! It was only a number of months prior (comics cover dated March 1963) that Marvel would begin having their characters interact with each other, building what we know today as the Marvel Universe. Tiny Marvel was growing and shaping their universe at a tremendous rate, creating so many successful and popular heroes and villains in such a short amount of time, as well as changing the way comic stories were told! 

On 2/15/2023 at 6:53 PM, comic_memories said:

Spidey has a 2-panel cameo. Thats it.  It's mainly flashbacks and the Torch impersonating Spider-Man. Still counts for something.  

RCO018_1468855945.jpg

I love how Marvel would give their characters little cameos in each other's stories! Strange Tales seemed to do a lot of that, with Sue getting a small role in a Torch story, the FF making a small appearance at the end or like Spidey in #115. To me, it always added an element of cohesiveness in their universe.