• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tomb of Dracula #1's cover registration is all over the place
1 1

34 posts in this topic

On 3/1/2023 at 1:24 PM, ThothAmon said:

Was looking at ComicLinks wares and saw this one. Guess registration doesn’t matter to CGC. (shrug)

C0310046-A7E2-4421-A39A-455E858A6BE0.jpeg

Looks good enough to me! I can admire from afar, although the reds stand out, nothing beats a damsel in distress. Neal Adams what a mind.

On 3/1/2023 at 1:25 PM, PeterPark said:

What's wrong with it? Colors look good to me.

I'd imagine the wrap is a bit off, imo or thusly lol

Old English? Tod read rubbing off

On 3/1/2023 at 2:32 PM, ThothAmon said:

It’s a beauty no doubt but the cut was not very  square. Some heavy hitter picture frame collectors might be put off. 

It's the fold that's off, then the top, bottom and sides are trimmed.  You guys are using the word registration wrong since it has nothing to do with the fold.   

Edited by Kevin76

On 3/14/2023 at 6:11 AM, namisgr said:

My current copy.  Not the best cover registration top to bottom, but spot on side to side.  The black line that demarcates front cover from back is right on the spine all the way from top to bottom, with no back cover showing:

TOD1.thumb.jpg.acec866d55d6fbd67a066f0e4cebf591.jpg

Just curious what would be the problem with this copy from top to bottom? Is it the black line? And does the spine have anything to do with judging registration in general? It's a little confusing reading the back and forth. 

Edited by MGsimba77

On 3/16/2023 at 7:31 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Just curious what would be the problem with this copy from top to bottom and does the spine have anything to do with judging registration in general? It's a little confusing reading the back and forth. 

This particular copy has the Marvel Comics Group banner higher up on the cover than normal, so high in this case that there's almost none of the red top to the cover above it.  So that's what I mean when I say that the registration isn't good top to bottom.

Otherwise, this cover is on point.  It's perfectly straight vertically, and the cover fold is exact on the black line separating the front cover print from the back cover print, so that none of the front cover lies on the back of the book and none of the back cover lies on the front of the book.

I dug up examples of some of the types of inferior registration.

Here's one with two distinct flaws.  Part of the back cover lies on the front of the book, so the back to front registration is off.  But also the cover is misaligned vertically, so that more of the back cover shows on the top portion of the spine than on the lower portion of the spine.

Thor206RMcgc.thumb.jpg.7b6b22e757d40be10ef146bda8162bba.jpg

Here's one where the entire cover isn't straight vertically, but instead is rotated a few tenths of a degree counterclockwise.  This causes the MCG banner across the top to tilt downward right to left, and the word hype line on the bottom of the cover to also show a right to left downward tilt.

Thor195B.thumb.jpg.2592ec06ed590b4a72f6c20d3c93e716.jpg

And here's one where the top to bottom registration is off, so that there's excess room at the top above the MCG banner and the word hype lettering on the bottom is partly cut off.

Avengers93AA.thumb.jpg.26ddd2107a0f52c6dc841a31d0f78cc7.jpg

And finally, in this non-picture frame example I used to own, sometimes the covers are miscut and don't form a perfect rectangle, so that the right edge of a book is a bit longer than the spine edge, or as in this case the bottom edge is longer than the top edge.

ASM11.jpg.82c863082e4f5dfe339f9af16c00e3d2.jpg

Edited by namisgr