• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tomb of Dracula #1's cover registration is all over the place
1 1

34 posts in this topic

On 2/16/2023 at 9:08 PM, minutekev@50 said:

Hard to find a centered one in a good grade! I've noticed it's kind of like that with the ASM #122/121 also...

Just a Thursday night observation. New/Old guy back on the board and loving my new collecting journey....

Welcome back!  Your right. I personally prefer a well centered book. 

On 2/17/2023 at 3:05 PM, minutekev@50 said:

@greggy glad to see you're still around! Love the TOD

Also, do you still have those Sweet, Sweet DCs????

This book is long gone but did get a 9.6

Yes, I still have my DCs

Here's some other copies that got 9.8s

TOD1.jpg.82b81b5565512fe727636683dbd952d5.jpg

TOD1.jpg

On 2/27/2023 at 9:20 PM, Kevin76 said:

Registration doesn't mean an off centered wrap, it means if the 4 colors are aligned or not.

Picture for reference, left side is out of register, right side is in register  

download.png

I believe the term has also been used in the hobby to describe the cut and fold of the cover paper.  Regularity of rectangular cut, top edge to bottom edge, spine line verticality top to bottom, and wrap back to front together comprise the registration. At least I've used it that way and seen it used that way by others, too.

In the two slabbed examples I posted, both are not completely rectangular cuts, with the cover being a bit longer along the right edge than the spine edge - it's easy to see by the unevenness of how much paper lies above the MCG banner along its entirety.  Otherwise, the left example is almost perfect with the cover fold lying precisely along the spine at both top and bottom.  The right example, in contrast, has a bit of the back cover showing along the top half of the book, and so the cover fold is slightly crooked top to bottom and off back to front.

Edited by namisgr

On 2/28/2023 at 9:02 AM, namisgr said:

At least I've used it that way and seen it used that way by others, too.

I’d agree with this. Looking at the various copies posted my copy is the most centered and square although the back cover’s white is very pronounced on the front. Not sure if that impacts the grade to any degree but certainly it’s desirability (based upon my reading of the picture frame thread). 

On 2/16/2023 at 9:08 PM, minutekev@50 said:

Hard to find a centered one in a good grade! I've noticed it's kind of like that with the ASM #122/121 also...

Just a Thursday night observation. New/Old guy back on the board and loving my new collecting journey....

I have noticed 122's often have bad miswraps but the registration always seemed right on...