• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me find this artist.
1 1

16 posts in this topic

While I was reading/surfing the 'Net as I dozed off, I found some interesting artwork on a comic book cover.  I liked it, not because "oh wow, that's better than LB Cole/Matt Baker/Alex Schomburg", but the covers/art style seemed so unique - well, to me, anyway.  But I'm no expert.

As I was falling asleep, I researched who did the cover and got a name.  It turned out, at least from what I can recall from my sleepy research, it was by an artist who only did about 3 comic book covers, and I believe 2 of the covers were for the same title.  I can't remember if any of this is true since I was falling asleep. lol.  One thing about the cover art : it seemed like it used line art/contour lines heavily.  And, if I recall, the covers were pre-code horror.  But, of course, when I woke up, I had forgotten the artist's name.

I wish I had written down the artist's name before falling asleep, but I just said "eh... I'll write it down to hunt down copies when I wake up".  That was stupid.  Any of you experts have any idea?

Edited by Telegan

On 2/18/2023 at 6:03 PM, Point Five said:

Only 3 PCH covers, distinctive style -- sounds like William Ekgren?

https://www.comicbookdaily.com/columns/arcs-runs/william-ekgren-run/

Yes!  William Ekgren is it!  Thanks!  If I ever see you anywhere, as a token of my gratitude, I'll be sure to give you a copy of the super-rare/highly-collectible/still-in-the-poly-bag X-Force #1, assuming I have one of the 1273 copies I own on me.

On 2/18/2023 at 8:22 PM, AJD said:

And the prize for "best answer to a vague question" goes to @Point Five! :applause:

My wife gives me prizes for "best vague answer to a question" all the time!  :acclaim: 

On 2/18/2023 at 10:18 PM, Point Five said:

My wife gives me prizes for "best vague answer to a question" all the time!  :acclaim: 

I don't know about the Strange Terrors, but that Weird Horrors #7 (and #6) blew me away because it was so unlike any other comic book cover I had seen - at least now I know why.

On 2/18/2023 at 11:42 PM, Telegan said:

I just read that article and they mention the Gerber Photo Journals as being one of the things that triggered their interest in the covers.  I just bought a new copy of each of the first 2 volumes less than 2-3 weeks ago, and forgot I hadn't looked at them yet.  They're sitting there unopened in their original wrappers, so I just busted them out and am going to peruse them.  I know this will lead me to be broke soon. :D

Also from the article, if you want to follow how Ken Quattro/Comics Detective hunted down more info about him, and how he exchanged emails with his some of his family members and letters with him (because he was still alive!), click the following links - much of the graphics is dead as the articles are from almost 10 years ago :

http://thecomicsdetective.blogspot.com/2010/02/who-is-william-ekgren.html
http://thecomicsdetective.blogspot.com/2010/05/letter-from-william-ekgren.html
http://thecomicsdetective.blogspot.com/2012/04/william-ekgren-movie-star.html

From one of the links above that includes excerpts from an Ekgren letter who was glad to write about himself when he found out people were hunting for info about his works and how his work ended up in comic books.  The letter starts to end sadly (he mentions his schizophrenia), but how it ultimately ended was pretty awesome.  The indented text is all from the website, btw :

“During the 1950s I lived a little here and there in New York City--on St. George on Staten Island, 200 Mott Street in Manhattan, the section called Little Italy and in Harlem one year…”
“In the early 1950s I was a member of the Manhattan Gallery East…also I was one of the first 20 or so members of the Bedford Village Art Guild in Brooklyn--the only non-African American…”.

The next portion of Ekgren’s letter dealt with his comic book covers and took me completely by surprise.

“One day in the Spring of 1952--at the Greenwich Village Outdoor Art Show--three men and a woman were murmuring between themselves looking at one of my paintings…after less than 5 minutes they had bought the publication right to it--for 100 dollars. After a week they gave me the painting back so that I could sell it again…the same procedure came about at the next Outdoor Show (and then the next after that)…the same persons coming back, acting in an almost impolite way and paying 100 dollars for each picture. The editor’s name was Archer St. John (one of the four).”

That explained a lot. Ekgren’s comic book career never really existed. His comic book covers were unlike any others because they never were intended to be comic book covers. Chance selections by St. John, editor Marion McDermott and two unidentified colleagues. Was Matt Baker, St. John’s art director, also part of the group? Alas, we may never know.

“I did never draw or paint any special artworks for comic books or other publications. The works I at all times created were meant as free pictures--to be exhibited as such…”
“And concerning the three pictures you’re familiar with--they never meant more to me stylistically or subjectively, then most of (the) works produced by me…”.

“…as both an artist and a poet, I’m self-educated and the same must be said about my knowledge of the English language, plus my citizen-of-the-world and vegetarian philosophy.”
“Although I am still going strong very well for my 89 years of age, I naturally enough cannot be sure about having hours, or even less, of a future. But I am not a pessimist, having as yet not found any sane or crazy reason to be so.”
“About that and that: yes, of course, I’m schizophrenic, thus being more nutty than a fine fruitcake. But thus far I’ve been able to handle this “mental thing” rather nicely, by using ingredients, as well as wholeness, as basic measures giving informative vividness and strength to all my creative activities.”
“And please, let us skip the Mr. title between us. My name is William, Ekgren, Bill, or anything that suits you, Ken, to call me.”

“Sincerely, William Ekgren”

That's awesome stuff.  Also, for anyone interested, here is one of his paintings that sold on Heritage a few years ago : https://fineart.ha.com/itm/paintings/william-ekgren-american-20th-century-family-of-three-1950-oil-on-canvas-28-x-22-inches-711-x-559-cm-signed-and-dated-low/a/8027-71101.s

This is great! I love the backstory. These three covers are something more akin to outsider art than the usual type of cover art. Which makes them fascinating to me, even if I'm not a superfan of the style.