• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello...

17 posts in this topic

1.  42

2.  A process of inbred fertilization which employs certain decomposed organic materials--including but not limited to animal sediment--to blanket an area in which vegetation is desired. The procedure enriches the soil for the stimulated plant's development while, at the same time, preventing erosion and decreasing the evaporation of moisure from the ground.

3.  Why not?

Ok, I'll start with this... around 12 years ago I lightly got into pulps here on the boards and started a small collection which I eventually sold off with the exception of a couple of random Weird Tales. Well, within the past 5 months, the pulp bug has returned with a vengeance and has bitten me hard.  Actually, so much so that comics kind of feel secondary to me now, which is so strange to write.

So that being said, as I'm looking at more and more of these pulps, I've quickly come to the conclusion that you can not assign the same criteria in grading these as you would comics. What I mean is that a VG (4.0) is not in comics what it is in pulps.  Am I correct in assuming that?  And am I also correct in assuming that repairs and 'modifications' do not carry the same stigma in pulps as they do in comics?

There seems to be a bit less stigma about condition of pulps, but it varies greatly from collector to collector.  If you're finding yourself more interested in pulps, I'd highly recommend the bookery guide, as I find it to be an invaluable reference.   It also covers grading criteria.

Screenshot_20230220_084007.thumb.jpg.21a051096131f0dfe70443ea32822e04.jpg

Here's another question... as I was looking through other threads from various chat boards, I found a discussion about sealing bags vs. leaving them open in order for them to 'breathe'.  Is that really a thing?

On 2/20/2023 at 3:26 PM, Hibou said:

Here's another question... as I was looking through other threads from various chat boards, I found a discussion about sealing bags vs. leaving them open in order for them to 'breathe'.  Is that really a thing?

In older books and magazines, paper, adhesive and inks contain different volatile organic compounds which break down and are released into the air (known as off-gasing). The storage environment plays a role in the velocity of this process. For example too much heat or light can accelerate the process.  So over time, one needs to ensure bags and cases get replaced - microchamber paper can help since it is designed with molecular traps to neutralize these byproducts (which is why it's inside of slabs).

Edited by Northwest

On 2/20/2023 at 2:20 AM, Hibou said:

So that being said, as I'm looking at more and more of these pulps, I've quickly come to the conclusion that you can not assign the same criteria in grading these as you would comics. What I mean is that a VG (4.0) is not in comics what it is in pulps.  Am I correct in assuming that?  And am I also correct in assuming that repairs and 'modifications' do not carry the same stigma in pulps as they do in comics?

Actually, pulps are pretty much graded the same as comics.  It's just that with pulps, a vg (4.0) is a pretty decent grade.  A collection in 6.0 should make its owner proud.  The occasional 8.0 is great to have in a collection, but shooting for such a grade across the board is not very practical, unless you are only collecting limited titles or late-era pulps.  As for repair, etc., yes... there are some different criteria.  Trimming in comics in a huge defect.  But in pulps (as long as it's just the cover being trimmed, not the entire book) is not as huge a deal... pulps with light cover-trim can still come in at 4.0.  Tape repairs (esp. if old) may still be graded as comics (3.0, 4.0, depending upon degree, or less if extensive) but are often accepted as a fact-of-life with pulp collectors.  I haven't seen a lot of color-touch over the years on pulps... but as interest spreads, I assume we will see more.  I would think it would have the same effect as on comics... big impact on higher grades, less-so on books already in low grade.  Glued spines generally not a big deal, since they were glued to begin with (unlike comics), if done carefully and with proper materials.  

On 2/20/2023 at 1:18 PM, OtherEric said:

Unfortunately, the initial run sold out and according to @Bookery there's no plans to reprint it currently.

Heritage published the 2020 volume, so out of my hands as far as print-run is concerned.  I was told they printed 500 copies... so the pulp guide is actually rarer than many pulps!  Because pulp prices exploded even as the guide was being printed, I think they figured it was already out-of-date.  But many potential buyers wanted it for the issue data more than just pricing (Heritage still quotes the prices in their auction listings, though the results are often multiples of the guide values).  The 2005 guide, also out of print, had a larger print-run, and so turns up ate ABE and eBay from time-to-time.  The 2020 guide is better-looking (Heritage did a great job with the layout) and has more data, but is all but impossible to obtain at this point.  

Thank you so much for that information. I was wondering about how missing back covers factor into grading... this copy was affordable because it is missing the back cover. The tape reinforcement matches the others in this lot that I looked through, including those 1938 issues.

(edited)_wtmar33.png

Edited by Hibou

On 2/21/2023 at 9:07 PM, Hibou said:

Thank you so much for that information. I was wondering about how missing back covers factor into grading... this copy was affordable because it is missing the back cover. The tape reinforcement matches the others in this lot that I looked through, including those 1938 issues.

(edited)_wtmar33.png

Such a great book to have.  Tower of the Elephant, my fav conan sstory. 

Sorry... I've been a bit distracted.

I'm guessing a "Bed Sheet" is an oversized pulp prior to 1930?

I've looked up this year's Pulp Fest and as it coincides with my vacation, I'm thinking a summer destination to Pittsburgh, PA might be in the works this year.  My question is this, as I've been to numerous Comic Conventions, are Pulp Fests similar in terms of the cross interest?  What I mean is that with Comic Cons, you get a lot of comics and toys but with a Pulp Fest, do you get pulps and other types of promotional material?