• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beware…Fake high value CGC books in Pacific Northwest
14 14

334 posts in this topic

On 3/3/2023 at 12:38 PM, MarvelsKryptonite said:

The police are likely "dragging their feet" because they probably figured out that the seller is not the origination of these books - therefore not prosecutable. The OP also refuses to disclose what he paid for this transaction, so we could be talking about $50. If I got ripped off, the first thing I would indicate is how much I got ripped off for in order to convey the seriousness of the matter. Or at least a ballpark. As far as can be determined by the three supposed victims, they don't exactly appear to be people that can afford to pay 50 grand for a comic book, so that seems to be an important factor to determine what we're talking about here.

Fascinating... so these books were 50 bucks?  This thread is just so interesting

On 3/4/2023 at 4:38 AM, MarvelsKryptonite said:

The police are likely "dragging their feet" because they probably figured out that the seller is not the origination of these books - therefore not prosecutable. The OP also refuses to disclose what he paid for this transaction, so we could be talking about $50. If I got ripped off, the first thing I would indicate is how much I got ripped off for in order to convey the seriousness of the matter. Or at least a ballpark. As far as can be determined by the three supposed victims, they don't exactly appear to be people that can afford to pay 50 grand for a comic book, so that seems to be an important factor to determine what we're talking about here.

It's the oldest trick in the book when selling fake product: 'Oh, I got these at a market 3 years ago... cash transaction, no receipt. Never seen the seller since, didn't catch his name.'

On 3/3/2023 at 2:17 PM, CGC Mike said:

So I am going to go and mow the lawn and do a bunch of other stuff.  I am sure that you are all going to remain civil while I am gone.  RIGHT?  That includes masking, swear words, and a bunch of other stuff.  Don't make me have to break out the tool box when I return.  (tsk)  

Ah, south Florida, where I mowed my lawn of St. Augustine Grass once a week without fail other than during the relatively cooler months when the growth slowed down. When I finished one section and looked at what I had just mowed it needed to be mowed again. Now that I pay to have my lawn mowed at my residence in south Fl, while I reside in MD, following my retirement if I move back to south Fl, instead of selling the house while it remains above water, I may commence mowing my lawn again or continue paying a lawn company to do so.

On 3/3/2023 at 11:15 PM, Man Behind the comics said:

Hey there everybody. A word from the horse's mouth. Yes I was scammed. Yes it was probably my own fault. You see I have been collecting for 40 some years but that makes me the perfect Target for a scam like this. You see I am old school. I don't do much with cgc books and as a matter of fact I didn't even have a cgc account until tonight. So no I am not an expert in cgc counterfeits nor do I use a Jeweler's lens. I have never even cracked open a cgc book. Out of my personal collection of 50 plus long boxes less than a half of a short box  are cgc books. I truly believe that Marvel's kryptonite is the scammer that sold all of these counterfeit books. He is trying to sell his story on here just like he tried to do on my Facebook page. Marvel's kryptonite is the same person as Vera bjornsen out of Seattle on Facebook, Ryan lacklighter and Riddick somebody or other. These are all aliases. His Facebook was created an hour before he posted on my site. No photos of course. So yes I blocked him when I realized he was the scammer himself.

I don't use cgc often. I don't go by cgc prices, I go by overstreet regular book prices. I paid a fair dealer price for the Hulk number one counterfeit. Let me put it this way, I could have bought a decent car for what I paid. Yes, I told him it was worth more than my offer and even showed him examples. Yes I have a bill of sale in the scammers own handwriting to prove what I paid. Do you think I would have come out and told everyone my story for just a few thousand dollars lost? You think I would have endured the ridicule of all of the armchair cgc quarterbacks out there?

I know I will never see a penny of my money again. That's a given. I shared my story because I didn't want this scammer to take advantage of someone else. Even though I could have saved face by simply saying nothing, I didn't want any of you to fall for the same thing.

Here are a few facts. The scammer knew what he was doing. Prior to selling the Hulk comic to me he tried to sell them to a dealer on the west coast. That dealer informed him then that they were fake. So yes that means when he sold them to me he knew they were fake even if he did get them at an estate thing which I do not believe one bit. Simply for the fact that photos from the scammer have surfaced with different serial numbers for the same Hulk comic.

Fact number two, his story of them being on hibid and at an estate sale place came up false. I looked into the places where he said he purchased them. He lied.

Fact number three, I used my real name, my real email, my real phone number. So far our scammer has given at least three fake names.

Fact number four I am only one of three people that was scammed by this fellow. The other two didn't even know they were scammed until I made my announcement.

Fact number 5 when I first found out they were fake I gave the scammer the benefit of the doubt and notified him. He gave me the runaround saying he would make it right of course and then he ghosted me. I informed him that I would be contacting the police the next day and that if this was all just as misunderstanding that he should come down and give his side of the story so we could all be on the same page. I gave him that opportunity before I knew just how oceans 11 this was. 

The scammer Ryan / Riddick / Vera bjornson/marvel's kryptonite has told so many lies that he can't keep track of them all and we can easily point them out.

Thanks.  This clarifies a very confusing situation that was spread across 2 threads, though I think in the last couple of days most of us began to figure out what was taking place, especially with the sudden burst of incoherent rants that came out of nowhere from the one poster.

On 3/3/2023 at 8:15 PM, Man Behind the comics said:

Hey there everybody. A word from the horse's mouth. Yes I was scammed. Yes it was probably my own fault. You see I have been collecting for 40 some years but that makes me the perfect Target for a scam like this. You see I am old school. I don't do much with cgc books and as a matter of fact I didn't even have a cgc account until tonight. So no I am not an expert in cgc counterfeits nor do I use a Jeweler's lens. I have never even cracked open a cgc book. Out of my personal collection of 50 plus long boxes less than a half of a short box  are cgc books. I truly believe that Marvel's kryptonite is the scammer that sold all of these counterfeit books. He is trying to sell his story on here just like he tried to do on my Facebook page. Marvel's kryptonite is the same person as Vera bjornsen out of Seattle on Facebook, Ryan lacklighter and Riddick somebody or other. These are all aliases. His Facebook was created an hour before he posted on my site. No photos of course. So yes I blocked him when I realized he was the scammer himself.

I don't use cgc often. I don't go by cgc prices, I go by overstreet regular book prices. I paid a fair dealer price for the Hulk number one counterfeit. Let me put it this way, I could have bought a decent car for what I paid. Yes, I told him it was worth more than my offer and even showed him examples. Yes I have a bill of sale in the scammers own handwriting to prove what I paid. Do you think I would have come out and told everyone my story for just a few thousand dollars lost? You think I would have endured the ridicule of all of the armchair cgc quarterbacks out there?

I know I will never see a penny of my money again. That's a given. I shared my story because I didn't want this scammer to take advantage of someone else. Even though I could have saved face by simply saying nothing, I didn't want any of you to fall for the same thing.

Here are a few facts. The scammer knew what he was doing. Prior to selling the Hulk comic to me he tried to sell them to a dealer on the west coast. That dealer informed him then that they were fake. So yes that means when he sold them to me he knew they were fake even if he did get them at an estate thing which I do not believe one bit. Simply for the fact that photos from the scammer have surfaced with different serial numbers for the same Hulk comic.

Fact number two, his story of them being on hibid and at an estate sale place came up false. I looked into the places where he said he purchased them. He lied.

Fact number three, I used my real name, my real email, my real phone number. So far our scammer has given at least three fake names.

Fact number four I am only one of three people that was scammed by this fellow. The other two didn't even know they were scammed until I made my announcement.

Fact number 5 when I first found out they were fake I gave the scammer the benefit of the doubt and notified him. He gave me the runaround saying he would make it right of course and then he ghosted me. I informed him that I would be contacting the police the next day and that if this was all just as misunderstanding that he should come down and give his side of the story so we could all be on the same page. I gave him that opportunity before I knew just how oceans 11 this was. 

The scammer Ryan / Riddick / Vera bjornson/marvel's kryptonite has told so many lies that he can't keep track of them all and we can easily point them out.

This is the danger that CGC has to deal with in  which making the CGC slab more foolproof should be the goal. We have to agree that all buyers are not equal. What we do not want is for a 40 year collector who wants to start buying slabs be treated like this....it is bad for everyone....we need more acceptance from older collectors that slab collecting is safe. Raw of course this fraud could not have been accomplished. So if we want a heathy growing slab market....we need to create a posting with suggestions from everyone here as to how to improve product security. Here is one of mine...have a website reference special ID number and website IS ON THE FRONT OF the slab  thats says " Verify with CGC prior to purchase"  A sort of disclaimer...or warning....it would prove especially helpful in this instance..a newbie slab buyer. What is your suggestion?

Edited by Mmehdy

On 3/4/2023 at 12:07 PM, Mmehdy said:

This is the danger that CGC has to deal with in  which making the CGC slab more foolproof should be the goal. We have to agree that all buyers are not equal. What we do not want is for a 40 year collector who wants to start buying slabs be treated like this....it is bad for everyone....we need more acceptance from older collectors that slab collecting is safe. Raw of course this fraud could not have been accomplished. So if we want a heathy growing slab market....we need to create a posting with suggestions from everyone here as to how to improve product security. Here is one of mine...have a website reference special ID number and website IS ON THE FRONT OF the slab  thats says " Verify with CGC prior to purchase"  A sort of disclaimer...or warning....it would prove especially helpful in this instance..a newbie slab buyer. What is your suggestion?

Though to be fair (and I may be wrong about this) weren't the slabs being used an older version than what we have now, despite "newer-looking" labels being inserted in them?

On 3/4/2023 at 12:07 PM, Mmehdy said:

The only way to do it is to have a photo record as well. The fake books matched existing cgc registration numbers…the only way they caught the hulk 1 was there was a photo of it on the Heritage site and they were 2 different books.

On 3/4/2023 at 4:03 PM, Ozonetv said:

The only way to do it is to have a photo record as well. The fake books matched existing cgc registration numbers…the only way they caught the hulk 1 was there was a photo of it on the Heritage site and they were 2 different books.

Seems silly not to take a digital pic of every slab that leaves the facility.  
Pic could be available with the notes

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 3/4/2023 at 5:18 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Seems silly not to take a digital pic of every slab that leaves the facility.  
Pic could be available with the notes

agreed - but you now have to pay for it...and of course since theres a billion slabs out there theres nothing to stop a scammer from using an old number. I don't think theres any way or retrofitting a solution.

On 3/1/2023 at 1:55 PM, Yorick said:

Even the US Treasury sometimes lets mixed serial number dollars slip out into circulation.  Those are typically worth more...  hm

Right, when they stopped and restarted printing presses on Spet 11 they added gold stars to the $20, so sometimes it is with intent.