• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beware…Fake high value CGC books in Pacific Northwest
14 14

334 posts in this topic

On 2/26/2023 at 4:07 PM, Pizza Boy said:
On 2/20/2023 at 6:22 AM, Larryw7 said:

I remember the founders of CGC telling us they were leading collectors out of the "wild west" of the pre slabbing era. How has that been working for y'all?

Borock is the modern day P.T. Barnum 

I love your avatar name Pizza! Miss the circus as well :sorry: 

On 2/26/2023 at 12:57 PM, JollyComics said:

The high resolution scans are important for our security. How can we access and see them if the books are authentic before purchasing?

I'm inclined to think any new security measure will involve something digital. Would be rad if you could even track the location of a slab based on serial number or barcode. But that's a little over-zealous, yet not entirely out of the question.

On 2/26/2023 at 7:00 PM, MarvelsKryptonite said:

I'm inclined to think any new security measure will involve something digital. Would be rad if you could even track the location of a slab based on serial number or barcode. But that's a little over-zealous, yet not entirely out of the question.

You want your slabs to have GPS trackers?

On 2/26/2023 at 6:12 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Fantastic option if my AF 15 gets stolen & the crook is clueless enough to keep it slabbed.

Not fantastic to provide potential crooks with the location of my AF 15 :insane:

:whistle:

(Currently running spoof location through VPN for locate my slab)

Location shown... Fort Knox...

On 2/26/2023 at 6:00 PM, MarvelsKryptonite said:

That would be a great idea. I think the new encapsulation is hard to crack so it's impossible to take the book out of the case.  The book can be found if it's stolen. It's up to Blackstone.

• Administrator
On 2/26/2023 at 9:43 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:
On 2/26/2023 at 9:29 PM, CGC Mike said:

Yes.  The screenshot I posted is from an old announcement.

Thanks for clarifying.  I thought  there was a new announcement and went looking on the home page 

To be more specific I believe it was from when we first announced our new (current) holder.  

On 2/26/2023 at 4:12 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Fantastic option if my AF 15 gets stolen & the crook is clueless enough to keep it slabbed.

Not fantastic to provide potential crooks with the location of my AF 15 :insane:

I wonder how many Ferrari owners equipped with a low jack said "I don't want the crooks to know where my Ferrari is."

On 2/19/2023 at 8:31 PM, WolverineX said:

Maybe CGC needs  blockchain tech that provides provenance for prior slab owners

If I remember, CGC Mike stated somewhere that CGC was looking to add QR codes that would direct to the census page.  Not foolproof for this particular situation, but a step in the right direction.