• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beware…Fake high value CGC books in Pacific Northwest
14 14

334 posts in this topic

On 3/2/2023 at 4:45 PM, Ozonetv said:

Yeah- not sure what kinda scam slip in something like that for free.  But the ASM 1 is def an issue...as far as I know there was no mention of it in the video he posted when he originally bought the  throws in collection. He also tried to trade the Cap 1 cover very quickly (didn't seem to want to sell it or send it to Heritage). Its the sketchiest of the group.

Yeah... that whole thread in golden-age never made a lot of sense.  And now he isn't filing a police report?  Very odd.

On 3/2/2023 at 7:29 PM, ThothAmon said:

Personally I’m much more concerned about restored books being removed from their lovely purple slabs and sold as unrestored. 

There’s a ton of those out there that never have been slabbed at all. Color touch was all the rage long before cgc. 
I’ve  been the victim of that…as I’m sure many others have been.

that’s a whole separate unrelated con.

On 3/3/2023 at 12:04 PM, Ozonetv said:

There’s a ton of those out there that never have been slabbed at all. Color touch was all the rage long before cgc. 
I’ve  been the victim of that…as I’m sure many others have been.

that’s a whole separate unrelated con.

Yes, I remember when restoration of books was actually desirable.

The police are likely "dragging their feet" because they probably figured out that the seller is not the origination of these books - therefore not prosecutable. The OP also refuses to disclose what he paid for this transaction, so we could be talking about $50. If I got ripped off, the first thing I would indicate is how much I got ripped off for in order to convey the seriousness of the matter. Or at least a ballpark. As far as can be determined by the three supposed victims, they don't exactly appear to be people that can afford to pay 50 grand for a comic book, so that seems to be an important factor to determine what we're talking about here.

On 3/2/2023 at 12:26 PM, Ozonetv said:

I've been talking to the owner of the Hulk 1 a bit...seems like theres 3 people in total who've bought from the same guy in person...and I think at least 6 books (plus some raws) involved - tho the one that stands out is the fake Cap 1 cover and the ASM 1 (same guy)... as I understand it he's the only one who hasn't filed a police report. 

The police have been dragging their feet with the Hulk 1. Starbucks has video of the exchange but will only release it to the police - who haven't done anything about it.

What exactly is a Starbucks video going to provide? If the buyer is expecting that to get his money back for his own lack of due diligence for what the CGC slabs clearly did their job in doing, I think he is on a pipe dream. 

Speaking of the fact that they met at Starbucks, ask yourself this: if you happened to buy a Chevy pickup as the result of where you advertised that you yourself wanted to buy a vehicle, and when a seller of the vehicle you solicited buying (making you the presumed authority in said transaction) that you thought was a Ford when you bought it, only to find out it was a Hyundai when you got the oil changed, who exactly are you going to blame for that dumb debauchery? Ford? It seems some real intelligence is lacking altogether in all this. 

• Administrator
On 3/3/2023 at 12:27 PM, MarvelsKryptonite said:

I find it odd that when I posted on the thread of seeing the whole lot of all these mentioned books in what seemed like a bogus auction with many items, I was subsequently blocked by the OP. Now why would that be? What's the end game here?

May I ask why all of your posts since you joined the forum have been in just this thread?  It's not normal behavior for a poster to do this in a thread that he or she did not start.  Also, I am not sure what you mean by being blocked by the OP.

Some of you dorks may be able to conjure up the possibility that the seller of these items got in contact with the "victims" through their solicitation to buy such items after they were acquired them among a number of things in a storage locker auction. And the only reason they would know this whole BS is happening is because they found out they themself had been ripped off for the price they naively accepted for the items. That's to say if what they sold was in fact real, and what the "victims" were given the opportunity and faith of expertise in determining by buying them from someone who never once claimed to have any understanding of anything about them. All of which prompted them to educate themselves on this industry, which doesn't take a rocket scientist to do. But it sure takes a nerd to want to remain focused on. Perhaps that is why the apparently coveted captain America was scattered in the mix - because the seller didn't know toilet paper cartoon drawings from outhouse toilet paper wipes. Oh, but the seller gave false names and the phone number no longer gets an answer!? Safe operation in life 101, especially if you've ever sold or bought something in Tacoma, Washington - never meet at your home, and never give out personal information. 

Here is the crux of this mess:

1.) what CGC is intended for and to provide was without question successful.

2.) A whole majority of the population would ask; if it's the same thing you couldn't tell the difference from, then who the hell cares?

3.) Information of where these items got into the hands of the so-called "scammer" is being provided to Mark Zaid, who graciously made their contact info available.

4.) Some questions might be presented to the integrity of the so-called "victims" in the fact of what they ripped off the so-called "scammer" for what they both had no indication was not what it was. If they had determined what it appears they should have been able to do because of their numerous years in the industry, and what they were called upon because of their solicitation to be able to determine, this mess wouldn't have become what it apparently is.

Legal counsel seems necessary and is being sought. Until then, ask anything you wish, and answer will be provided because at least for one side of these transactions, nothing ill-intended was the pursuit.

On 3/3/2023 at 1:44 PM, MarvelsKryptonite said:

Some of you dorks may be able to conjure up the possibility that the seller of these items got in contact with the "victims" through their solicitation to buy such items after they were acquired them among a number of things in a storage locker auction. And the only reason they would know this whole BS is happening is because they found out they themself had been ripped off for the price they naively accepted for the items. That's to say if what they sold was in fact real, and what the "victims" were given the opportunity and faith of expertise in determining by buying them from someone who never once claimed to have any understanding of anything about them. All of which prompted them to educate themselves on this industry, which doesn't take a rocket scientist to do. But it sure takes a nerd to want to remain focused on. Perhaps that is why the apparently coveted captain America was scattered in the mix - because the seller didn't know toilet paper cartoon drawings from outhouse toilet paper wipes. Oh, but the seller gave false names and the phone number no longer gets an answer!? Safe operation in life 101, especially if you've ever sold or bought something in Tacoma, Washington - never meet at your home, and never give out personal information. 

Here is the crux of this mess:

1.) what CGC is intended for and to provide was without question successful.

2.) A whole majority of the population would ask; if it's the same thing you couldn't tell the difference from, then who the hell cares?

3.) Information of where these items got into the hands of the so-called "scammer" is being provided to Mark Zaid, who graciously made their contact info available.

4.) Some questions might be presented to the integrity of the so-called "victims" in the fact of what they ripped off the so-called "scammer" for what they both had no indication was not what it was. If they had determined what it appears they should have been able to do because of their numerous years in the industry, and what they were called upon because of their solicitation to be able to determine, this mess wouldn't have become what it apparently is.

Legal counsel seems necessary and is being sought. Until then, ask anything you wish, and answer will be provided because at least for one side of these transactions, nothing ill-intended was the pursuit.

As CGC Mike points out above, you really seem to have a vested interest in this... hm

On 3/3/2023 at 1:53 PM, MarvelsKryptonite said:

If really you want to go down the rabbit hole, it's absolutely genius the collaboration of how to liberate oneself from what the original crime was - which was simply taking advantage of someone with less knowledge than they have now.

Patting yourself on the back here...? (shrug)

On 3/3/2023 at 10:55 AM, CGC Mike said:

I would seem that I have been ignored.  

Within confines, please allow me to answer whatever questions you have because this has now become more concerning than the fact that proof is available to show where these items came from.

On 3/3/2023 at 11:00 AM, MarvelsKryptonite said:

Within confines, please allow me to answer whatever questions you have because this has now become more concerning than the fact that proof is available to show where these items came from.

Which actually doesn't answer much through limited investigation.

On 3/3/2023 at 10:24 AM, CGC Mike said:

May I ask why all of your posts since you joined the forum have been in just this thread?  It's not normal behavior for a poster to do this in a thread that he or she did not start.  Also, I am not sure what you mean by being blocked by the OP.

That would be because this is the only topic I have any interest in otherwise I probably would have nothing to do with it. Given the topic there's been the need to become educated on the interest for which you oversee. I Apologize for any uncouth statements. This is just very aggravating.

On 3/3/2023 at 1:53 PM, MarvelsKryptonite said:

If really you want to go down the rabbit hole, it's absolutely genius the collaboration of how to liberate oneself from what the original crime was - which was simply taking advantage of someone with less knowledge than they have now.

Oh, sorry, I think I originally misread this.  I thought you were saying that the genius move was on the part of the seller, but now I see that you seem to be saying that the buyers are the geniuses because they're deflecting from their "original crime" of trying to rip off the seller by underpaying.

Is that what you meant?