• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPDATED!! Beware of JIM 83 with a fake cover price
2 2

38 posts in this topic

On 2/21/2023 at 5:22 PM, shadroch said:

It's a GRR reprint that has a price sticker on it. The B&W Spash on the inside cover makes it  obvious.  

Also the Golden Records advertising back cover!

The cover price at upper left and the square issue box at upperish right have both been fraudulently created, both are pretty amateur efforts.The issue number box is comically inept, and they forgot the "IND." at extreme upper left when they doctored on a cover price.

I've notified their auctioneer; hopefully, this will get pulled.

Wow, what a sh**ty tactic. Unfair to the Golden Record Reprint Editions as well, because they are very cool books to have. At first I thought, "wait, surely you guys are hip to the 1966 GRR editions??" then saw the fake issue number and price applied to the cover. Very blatant, wow.

For the record, I've had no response at all to my efforts on Tuesday to inform them of this.

HiBid is sort of a meta-auction site that allows smaller auction houses to operate online without needing their own online infrastructure. This auction is being held by Port City Auctions, and it's frankly pretty stark how different their terms and conditions are from a more respectable operation, like Heritage. Port City explicitly makes no warranty of authenticity for the material they auction and does not even permit returns and refunds in the case of proven inauthenticity (or for any other reason, for that matter).

I suspect that Port City does not care that they are auctioning a doctored book under false pretenses. There's still some time left in the auction, so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. They still have time to pull this thing.

On 2/23/2023 at 11:06 AM, Qalyar said:

For the record, I've had no response at all to my efforts on Tuesday to inform them of this.

HiBid is sort of a meta-auction site that allows smaller auction houses to operate online without needing their own online infrastructure. This auction is being held by Port City Auctions, and it's frankly pretty stark how different their terms and conditions are from a more respectable operation, like Heritage. Port City explicitly makes no warranty of authenticity for the material they auction and does not even permit returns and refunds in the case of proven inauthenticity (or for any other reason, for that matter).

I suspect that Port City does not care that they are auctioning a doctored book under false pretenses. There's still some time left in the auction, so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. They still have time to pull this thing.

No response to my message so far either.

On 2/23/2023 at 10:06 AM, Qalyar said:

On 2/23/2023 at 11:25 AM, Dave2739 said:

No response to my message so far either.

No response too.  I decided to contact HiBid customer service and told them about it.  The manager will contact the auctioneer.  Hope it can be resolved quickly.

I extracted the article from Seller Terms (the statements are clearly defined and applicable in bold):

Representations and Warranties.

1. You represent and warrant that any Listed Item(s) placed by you:
    1. are owned by you, or you have the legal right and authority to sell such Listed Item(s) on behalf of the legal owner;
    2. are free and clear of any and all registered and unregistered liens, security interests, tax or duty obligations or other encumbrances or contrary claims whatsoever, except as expressly disclosed by you within the applicable listing (the “Encumbrances”);
    3. are in good condition and/or good operating condition, free of material defects, environmental conditions and hazards and/or hazardous or toxic materials and/or wood destroying insects or other insects, except as disclosed by you within the applicable listing;
    4. have not been modified or tampered with in any manner that would be contrary to applicable legislation or misleading to a Bidder, including, but not limited to, tampering with emission control devices;
    5. have not been fraudulently obtained, and are not stolen or counterfeit;
    6. only include descriptions, pictures and videos that are accurate;
    7. in the case of all motor vehicle equipment, have never been re-built, salvaged or glidered except as expressly disclosed by you within the applicable listing(s);
    8. include a description of all applicable odometer and hour meters that reflect actual mileage or usage unless otherwise expressly disclosed by you within the applicable listing(s); and
    9. include any and all legally required disclosures that may be applicable to the auction and/or sale of the Listed Item(s) to a Bidder.

:news:

It has updated but.....please read the description that auctioneer updated the information.  I feel terrible for the highest bidder.

https://hibid.com/lot/146733553/reprint--83-the-mighty-thor?ref=catalog

Edited by JollyComics