• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPDATED!! Beware of JIM 83 with a fake cover price
2 2

38 posts in this topic

On 2/23/2023 at 8:10 PM, JollyComics said:

:news:

It has updated but.....please read the description that auctioneer updated the information.  I feel terrible for the highest bidder.

https://hibid.com/lot/146733553/reprint--83-the-mighty-thor?ref=catalog

It's a start, nice work guys.  Surely they can't hold the bidders to their bids when they materially change the auction information the bids were based on.  It isn't worth anywhere near $1000.  They also need to adjust the published date as it's not 1962

On 2/23/2023 at 10:21 PM, Lightning55 said:

So it's not the original described, but IS a doctored version of a reprint made to deceive...all systems go!!!

I guess they aren't aware of the age old saying "You're only as good as your reputation."

Note to self - avoid HIBID like the plague.

Some of my local auction companies use hibid for their online auctions and I'll continue to bid on their auctions, but if its someone I don't know....ehhhh....

So they updated the description to this. I don't know HiBid actions but I wouldn't touch them with your ten foot pole. "MAY BE A REPRINT"? No, we have told you this is a damaged GRR and given specific ways to identify it as such. But they still don't seem certain? Looks like dirtbaggery to me.image.thumb.png.ca8979074197d8b37bf1bdd849174a29.png

On 2/24/2023 at 8:34 AM, Pizza Boy said:

This picture alone is a huge red flag for anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of Silver Age comics. And did they just ignore the lower page count?

Screenshot_20230224-082832_Chrome.jpg.12a0e56b3619fb7de8c1e05d0f0a7f80.jpg

Along with the GR ad on the back cover, as has already been mentioned in this thread.

Port City Auctions is stridently uninterested in pulling this listing, which means I'm definitely never bidding on anything they auction.

On the other hand, even after adding some half-assed disclaimers, there's a new high bid at $1100. So there's either some hardcore shilling action here, or Port City is sort of right and insufficiently_thoughtful_persons will throw money around regardless of a book's authenticity.

On 2/27/2023 at 11:28 AM, Qalyar said:

Port City Auctions is stridently uninterested in pulling this listing, which means I'm definitely never bidding on anything they auction.

On the other hand, even after adding some half-assed disclaimers, there's a new high bid at $1100. So there's either some hardcore shilling action here, or Port City is sort of right and insufficiently_thoughtful_persons will throw money around regardless of a book's authenticity.

Well, now the book is famous!  It's a one-of-a-kind collectible with its own dedicated thread on the CGC boards! :baiting:

Just wanted to follow up on this thread. 

Port City Auctions never pulled this listing. But despite adding some weak disclaimers about how it "might" be a reprint, it ultimately sold for... $1300. On the other hand, GoCollect believes that even very low grade copies of the GRR reprint have a FMV north of $1500. So I guess if you believe that, you might think this fraudulently altered copy might be a deal at that price...

I sure don't, though. MCS has an 8.5 CGC slab up for $850, and that's an infinitely better deal, and a book that wasn't mutilated.

On 3/8/2023 at 10:20 PM, Qalyar said:

Port City Auctions never pulled this listing. But despite adding some weak disclaimers about how it "might" be a reprint, it ultimately sold for... $1300. On the other hand, GoCollect believes that even very low grade copies of the GRR reprint have a FMV north of $1500. So I guess if you believe that, you might think this fraudulently altered copy might be a deal at that price...

I sure don't, though. MCS has an 8.5 CGC slab up for $850, and that's an infinitely better deal, and a book that wasn't mutilated.

Did they shill the guy to $1500?

I can’t imagine there was more than one person that could be clueless enough to think that was the real thing.

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 3/8/2023 at 9:20 PM, Qalyar said:

I hope the winner won't pay for it.