• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greatest 1-Shot Of All-Time
4 4

108 posts in this topic

On 2/23/2023 at 1:49 AM, Lazyboy said:

Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe

My favourite is Evan Dorkin's World's Funnest, where Mr Mxyzptlk and Bat-Mite lay waste to the DC Multiverse.

On 2/22/2023 at 7:34 PM, Lazyboy said:

That, along with The Death of Captain Marvel that Ken Aldred mentioned earlier, is part of the MGN series, not actually a one-shot.

I know they have numbers as part of the MGN series, but I still feel they're one-shots. There's nothing that connects the various MGN books; they each stand alone except for the "series" number assigned for marketing.

Like how the Marvel Super Specials are just (mostly) individual (mostly) film adaptations. They've got numbers, yeah, but the numbers don't have anything to do with each other. 

But YMMV, surely.

On 2/22/2023 at 7:53 PM, AJD said:

Lol, fine. I hereby accept your pedantic point, despite every single one of those issues being stand-alone comic books.

There are tons of self-contained issues in ongoing series. But this thread is about one-shots. (shrug) Can I choose some random issue of TitleX with a story that isn't continued from the previous issue/in the next issue?

On 2/22/2023 at 9:08 PM, Lazyboy said:

There are tons of self-contained issues in ongoing series. But this thread is about one-shots. (shrug) Can I choose some random issue of TitleX with a story that isn't continued from the previous issue/in the next issue?

Like Vengeance of Bane and Vengeance of Bane 2 ?

Seems so.

On 2/23/2023 at 1:39 AM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I love Batman: Speeding Bullets. It's my favorite Elseworlds story. 

Although it polarises opinion, I've always liked Brennert and Breyfogle's Batman Holy Terror.

On 2/22/2023 at 8:10 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Like Vengeance of Bane and Vengeance of Bane 2 ?

Seems so.

hmlol

Batman: Vengeance of Bane Special #1 and Batman: Vengeance of Bane II: The Redemption (#nn) are different titles, not directly connected, and separated by years. They are no more part of the same series than are Batman: The Dark Knight #2 and Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #56.

On 2/22/2023 at 9:30 PM, 500Club said:

Can I toss one in that probably shouldn’t qualify?  John Byrne did a terrific six page stand-alone backup story in Superman 9 that is a perfect character study of the :censored: that is the prototypical Lex Luthor. :cloud9:

Not a stand-alone in the true context of this thread, but…

Topic cop to respond in 3...2...1...

On 2/22/2023 at 9:12 PM, B2D327 said:

This one has always held a special place in my high school collecting days

image.jpeg.bfccb515db904ef8354a0689d5e1df69.jpeg

Lol, was just going through another box the other day, haven't opened since the 90's and found this..Screenshot_20230222_213337_Instagram.thumb.jpg.be85e7a4c204c9a0a767fe87ebbf822b.jpg

On 2/22/2023 at 5:49 PM, Lazyboy said:

Sandman Special

Superman: Emperor Joker

Batman: Vengeance of Bane

Lobo Paramilitary Christmas Special

Carnage: Mind Bomb

Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe

Superman: Emperor Joker is a collected edition but I'm intrigued by the Lobo Paramilitary Christmas Special. Have to check that one out. Special place in my heart for Keith Giffen.

On 2/22/2023 at 8:52 PM, Krydel4 said:

Superman: Emperor Joker is a collected edition but I'm intrigued by the Lobo Paramilitary Christmas Special. Have to check that one out. Special place in my heart for Keith Giffen.

Correction: There is also a TPB called Superman: Emperor Joker. I guarantee there is a one-shot with that name.