• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to do -- foxing on Marvel Mystery book
2 2

21 posts in this topic

I discovered that there are what I assume to be foxing spots on the interior cover of my Marvel Mystery Comics #48. I inherited it and I suspect this is a product of bad storage, as it was forgotten about for a long time. My main concern is this: will the foxing spread within the book, and will it spread to other books kept adjacent to it? I keep this with 3 of my other GA books, all are individually bagged and boarded. Should I sell the foxed book to get it off my hands? What a sad thing to find on such a nice book :(

20221224_163740.jpg

On 2/23/2023 at 4:36 PM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

Should I sell the foxed book to get it off my hands?

Definitely - I can send you $20 for it, what's your Paypal? lol

In all seriousness though, it looks to be a pretty complete, solid copy based on the one photo; not bad at all for an 80-year-old book. I'd take good, high-quality photos of the front and back of the book plus this interior photo and post to the "spare a grade" area: https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

You can get a good idea of grade there, and you may want to consider getting it graded - there's a 6.5 listed for $5,000 on eBay now (listed, not sold, keep that in mind), and a 3.5 last sold in 2016 for $525, so it'd most likely go higher now. My guess from this one photo is that it's probably more in the 2.0-2.5 range, but that's why you should post to "spare a grade" to get opinions from people much better at grading than I am. Even if you don't get it graded, I'd definitely put it in a nice Mylar and not worry too much about the foxing, especially on a Golden Age book. Especially if it has sentimental value, I'd definitely at the very minimum get it into a high-quality Mylar so you can enjoy and appreciate it.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 2/23/2023 at 8:47 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Definitely - I can send you $20 for it, what's your Paypal? lol

Lol only slightly more insulting than the guy who seriously offered me only $300 for it.

When I'm back home I'll take pics and submit it to the PGM subforum. Not really expecting it to get better than a 2.5 (the front cover looks very nice still, though) but I'd appreciate an idea of where it would land.

I'll probably end up keeping it because it's too badass of a find. And I'm only 20 so who really knows when I will even afford an additional Marvel Mystery issue... 

Thanks for the advice guys

On 2/23/2023 at 8:14 PM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

Lol only slightly more insulting than the guy who seriously offered me only $300 for it.

When I'm back home I'll take pics and submit it to the PGM subforum. Not really expecting it to get better than a 2.5 (the front cover looks very nice still, though) but I'd appreciate an idea of where it would land.

I'll probably end up keeping it because it's too badass of a find. And I'm only 20 so who really knows when I will even afford an additional Marvel Mystery issue... 

Thanks for the advice guys

Yeah, it's a sweet book, congrats!

On 2/25/2023 at 2:28 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I would never recommend anyone do this. 

To the OP- you've got a great book on your hands.  Just preserve it in it's present condition and keep it away from anyone wanting to experiment on it.  You'll be glad you did in the long run.

I wouldn't let your average joe do it, but I have seen impressive results. What's wrong with remediating mold? The book is a perfect candidate.

On 2/25/2023 at 5:15 PM, Pizza Boy said:

Does CGC consider it restoration, conservation, or copacetic? Does CCS offer this process?

It's a gray area. Technically you aren't adding anything to the book. CGC doesn't offer it. It's a time consuming process as you need to mist each page with hydrogen peroxide and expose to blue light for a period. Works wonders on foxing,

On 2/26/2023 at 4:55 PM, Pizza Boy said:

So the answer is yes, you're adding a solvent. That's much different than pressing. I hope there are other ways CCS can identify this work hm

Here's to hoping it doesn't catch on, and here's to CGC catching the scumbags trying to pass off restored books as originals! :golfclap:

CGC is starting to figure out the telltale signs. Like micro trimming it is only a matter of time. 

On 2/23/2023 at 7:06 PM, KCOComics said:

It will not spread to other books as long as it's bagged and boarded. 

Honestly, I would just enjoy owning it. Not much you can really do. Just proper storage condition and bags / boards. 

Foxing on the back cover can spread to your board though, which then could spread back to your book in a different spot. I have one book in my entire collection that keeps doing this. I change the board periodically. Only foxxed up book I own that does this. Makes no sense to me. 

On 2/26/2023 at 5:55 PM, Pizza Boy said:

So the answer is yes, you're adding a solvent. That's much different than pressing. I hope there are other ways CCS can identify this work hm

Here's to hoping it doesn't catch on, and here's to CGC catching the scumbags trying to pass off restored books as originals! :golfclap:

How is this any different from adding moisture which most pressers do? H2O vs H2O2

On 2/26/2023 at 9:53 PM, joeypost said:

CGC is starting to figure out the telltale signs. Like micro trimming it is only a matter of time. 

From what I gather, it's mostly people trying to push it too far, overworking the book. I think a lot of pressers are using it, but few are admitting to it. I tested it on a book I do not plan to submit and had positive results.