• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

COCAINE BEAR IS A HIT!

61 posts in this topic

Cocaine Bear review:

Spoiler

Human children do cocaine. It's funny.

Bear cubs do cocaine. It's funny.

The bear does cocaine. It's funny.

The cocaine-fueled, murderous bear slaughters many innocents. It's funny.

Let me clarify my CB position.

The movie is exactly as I expected it to be: hilarious exploitation. Tacky, tasteless, stupid - like the entire history of Hollywood comedies or, for that matter, horror films. Like, for example, the great epic Animal House. It's chockablock with awful & offensive behavior & incidents, but really funny. It's a success insofar as it delivers on its promise. A great date night movie and a much needed break from super-hero fare. Which has become unwatchable tripe.  

I recommend it highly, but I do not recommend for the droll moralist. This is my same recommendation for say Taming of the Shrew or the Merry Wives of Windsor. Standard satyr play junque. Enjoy the artery-clogging popcorn!  

I thought it was okay when I saw it, but the more I think about it, the more I want to go again. It might be the first movie in a long time that has gotten repeat viewings from me in the theater. No Marvel movie, even when they were good, got me to go twice.

On 3/9/2023 at 8:29 PM, D84 said:

I thought it was okay when I saw it, but the more I think about it, the more I want to go again. It might be the first movie in a long time that has gotten repeat viewings from me in the theater. No Marvel movie, even when they were good, got me to go twice.

Please ensure to post a fresh review with each viewing. I hear that's a thing.

On 3/9/2023 at 6:57 AM, TupennyConan said:

Let me clarify my CB position.

The movie is exactly as I expected it to be: hilarious exploitation. Tacky, tasteless, stupid - like the entire history of Hollywood comedies or, for that matter, horror films. Like, for example, the great epic Animal House. It's chockablock with awful & offensive behavior & incidents, but really funny. It's a success insofar as it delivers on its promise. A great date night movie and a much needed break from super-hero fare. Which has become unwatchable tripe.  

I recommend it highly, but I do not recommend for the droll moralist. This is my same recommendation for say Taming of the Shrew or the Merry Wives of Windsor. Standard satyr play junque. Enjoy the artery-clogging popcorn!  

Pretty much what I thought. Only was needed more 80's soundtrack but did hit the mark with "Just can't get enough" :grin:

On 3/9/2023 at 5:29 PM, D84 said:

more I think about it, the more I want to go again. It might be the first movie in a long time that has gotten repeat viewings from me in the theater. No Marvel movie, even when they were good, got me to go twice.

I was able to stream 'Cocaine Bear.' Decent final role for Ray Liotta. Enough gags and more fresh/creative than 'Thor: Love and Blunder' or 'Morbius.' Beautiful USA National Forest scenery, caves, waterfall. 7.5/10

Saw it finally. Crazy story with actors I like seeing in such films (Isiah Whitlock can always nail the overconfident agent and was funny). Was surprised at some of the other appearances (Solo's Alden Ehrenreich; Game of Thrones' Kristofer Hivju as himself; The Americans' Matthew Rhys, Keri Russell and Margo Martindale).

7.0/10 for me. Kept the comedy going throughout in a film that didn't take its story too serious.

On 3/10/2023 at 5:05 PM, rexinnih said:

Pretty much what I thought. Only was needed more 80's soundtrack but did hit the mark with "Just can't get enough" :grin:

I laughed at that scene. A cocaine crazed bear chewing on a guy's head to Depeche Mode's "I Just Can't Get Enough" was the highlight of the movie!

I went into this viewing with low expectations and got what i expected. Tacky tasteless, stupid as described above. I can't give it a good rating, i am at 5/10 but that is a higher score than i gave to many of Marvels recent tv and film releases.

On 3/15/2023 at 6:50 AM, Artboy99 said:

I laughed at that scene. A cocaine crazed bear chewing on a guy's head to Depeche Mode's "I Just Can't Get Enough" was the highlight of the movie!

I went into this viewing with low expectations and got what i expected. Tacky tasteless, stupid as described above. I can't give it a good rating, i am at 5/10 but that is a higher score than i gave to many of Marvels recent tv and film releases.

Loved the use of the song, and loved that one of the kids had a DM poster in the bedroom. 

I watched this last week, and it lost my attention quite quickly.  I love funny stuff, I enjoy old horror stuff.  I guess I just really don't enjoy the mixing of the two and that goes back to Evil Dead 2.  I was a kid when those movies camne out and I wore outy a VHS copy of the original Evil Dead.  I saw 2 in the theatre asap when it came out and I was really disappointed, and I was 14 or so at the time.  So I guess it's just me ;)

On 3/23/2023 at 9:45 AM, Scarlet Veronica said:

Is this based on a true story? LOL the premise is funny.

Yes it is. Except the true story is that the bear did a buttload of coke and just died from it. End of story. It does mean there was a brief moment where that bear had some awesome business ideas. Sadly we'll never know what they were. 

On 3/25/2023 at 8:16 AM, Cat said:

Yes it is. Except the true story is that the bear did a buttload of coke and just died from it. End of story. It does mean there was a brief moment where that bear had some awesome business ideas. Sadly we'll never know what they were. 

L0L Thanks & poor bear. I've gotta look up the original story.