• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in: PGM Grendel #1
2 2

19 posts in this topic

On 2/26/2023 at 10:33 AM, AhsokaTano Jedi Apprentice said:

I luv Grendel also....looks like this came out in 1983 ?  That was before I started collecting.....I got a bunch of copies of his later series .....I'm guessing that it was the 2nd run of Grendel......Is this Grendel's first appearance ?

P.S.  As is... it does look to be around an 8.5 from what I can tell.

Grendel's first appearance (and first published work by his creator Matt Wagner) was in Primer #2 (1982).  Although he was featured on the cover, the Primer story was only 10 pages and the issue is shared with two other unrelated stories.  The 1983 B&W Grendel #1 is his first full appearance and origin.  The series was cancelled after the third issue as the publisher Comico was transitioning to color comics.  Grendel then reappeared as a 4 page color back-up story in Matt Wagner's new title Mage; appearing in issues #6-14. In 1986, Grendel Volume 2 (all color) begins the tale of the second Grendel (female) and then travels many, many, MANY years into the future where the story focuses on several different folks who took on the Grendel persona.

I have them all but the original Grendel is the one I love.  Especially the B&W series as I just love the raw simplicity.

On 2/28/2023 at 11:05 AM, AhsokaTano Jedi Apprentice said:

Ya ...thanks for that .....Volume 2 is where I came on board......

Same here! Grendel #7 (1987) was the first time I saw and purchased a Grendel comic. I loved the vivid colors and stylized artwork of the Pander Brothers but it was the advertisements for Devil by the Deed (the compilation of the Mage back up stories) that piqued my interest in finding the original back issues. From that point forward I was hooked. 

On 2/28/2023 at 11:31 AM, AhsokaTano Jedi Apprentice said:

Of course I have the comic books also but bought these so I didn't have to keep reading the originals over and over.

IMG_6970.jpg

That is a good idea. I bought the Grendel Vol 1 Omnibus for the same reason.  I have the original Magebook Vol 1 that I guess Comico published itself. Then they switched over to these Starblaze graphics volumes. I'll have to dig that out. I've never seen another one besides the copy I have.

On 2/28/2023 at 11:31 AM, AhsokaTano Jedi Apprentice said:

Of course I have the comic books also but bought these so I didn't have to keep reading the originals over and over.

IMG_6970.jpg

Here’s the Magebook I have. Reprints Hero Discovered #1-4. I think Comico published this one and a volume 2 and then they changed gears and published them under Starblaze Graphics. Anyone seen the Comico version before?

CEFD74BC-B1CA-44E5-9328-6383C603A1AE.jpeg

On 3/3/2023 at 11:23 AM, AhsokaTano Jedi Apprentice said:

No I have not................I just got out my Mage Comics and of course I wasn't able to get issue # 6...That is Grendels 1st appearance in color....The first issue I bought off the rack was Mage # 7  ...so I tried to backtrack and get the first six issues and was able to only find issue # 2 and  # 3 .  So I must have bought these Starblaze  Graphic Novels  just to be able to complete the story so I could read it. That was a long time ago.

Here’s my Mage #6 anecdote… I too was filling in Mage back issues many years ago and I finally came across issue #6. The dealer said “this copy is autographed” but that really didn’t entice me to buy it. I actually despise autographs but I bought it just to finally have a copy. Just recently I purchased another raw copy and also a CGC 9.8 white pager. I decided to use the “autographed” copy as a reader version. I crack it open and looked at the autograph. By this point I’m familiar with Matt Wagner’s signature (especially since there is a legit example right on the front cover) and let me tell you… this ain’t his signature. On top of it all it’s personalized “To Barry”. So I don’t wanna say I was duped by the dealer since I didn’t care about the signature, but I do wish I used my common sense at the time to call him out on his wildly_fanciful_statement. 

397867E4-6262-4ECC-8E1F-47D29E56AE5D.jpeg

C3D6A930-89E4-4A30-BA9E-0D56B3B3068B.jpeg

On 3/3/2023 at 11:25 AM, grendel013 said:

Here’s my Mage #6 anecdote… I too was filling in Mage back issues many years ago and I finally came across issue #6. The dealer said “this copy is autographed” but that really didn’t entice me to buy it. I actually despise autographs but I bought it just to finally have a copy. Just recently I purchased another raw copy and also a CGC 9.8 white pager. I decided to use the “autographed” copy as a reader version. I crack it open and looked at the autograph. By this point I’m familiar with Matt Wagner’s signature (especially since there is a legit example right on the front cover) and let me tell you… this ain’t his signature. On top of it all it’s personalized “To Barry”. So I don’t wanna say I was duped by the dealer since I didn’t care about the signature, but I do wish I used my common sense at the time to call him out on his wildly_fanciful_statement. 

397867E4-6262-4ECC-8E1F-47D29E56AE5D.jpeg

C3D6A930-89E4-4A30-BA9E-0D56B3B3068B.jpeg

Yeah, I have a number of comics signed by MW and this looks nothing like his signature.