• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

uncanny X-men 1 signed "Excelsior"
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Hi to whoever this message concerns. My Name is Tony. I have been a friend and member of CGC since 2000-2001 .I believe. But I have Never taken advantage of any Chat board. I always had my questions answered by friends or professionals at shows. So my conundrum is there are I believe 44 copies of X-men #1 SS on the registry.  My 5.0 is signed "Excelsior" by Stan Of Course. So, calling the cgc office they say there is no way to know if there is another one signed "Excelsior" in the 43 that remain. I believe it is according the stuff I had to do to get that book signed that at the time according to Tony, Stan's manager that got me that signature and the way Max wanted to Lynch me that day. Lol! Anyway, does anybody know how to figure this out. I mean every signed book says who? and what! was written on cover of the book on the Slabs label. But CGC is saying they don't keep a register of that. I mean there is only 43 to be accounted for. So it cannot be that hard. According to Steve Borock in a text back to me said good luck. unfortunately he believes I'll never know. So this is why I am looking for answers on this board. Thanks to any Helpful reply.

You can create your own spreadsheet and scour the internet for images, and whittle the number down.  Then at the end start paying people a bounty for their images.

or you can get a job at CGC and hope they have the actual info stored somewhere you can access it

On 2/25/2023 at 7:18 PM, Tony "T" said:

I mean every signed book says who? and what! was written on cover of the book on the Slabs label. But CGC is saying they don't keep a register of that.

I think a better response from them is that they do not keep an active customer searchable register of what has been annotated on signature series books. This is quite close to something I asked about 15 years ago when I was curious about finding the serial numbers of books on the census to find which copy was graded first. CGC has and can pull up this information but chooses not to share it on the client side as it does not hold enough value for them to implement.

On the other hand they might not be able to implement this type of search feature due to just how old the framework of their database is. As it has aged it has become less and less intuitive functionally and they do not seem interested in upgrading its infrastructure in any customer beneficial way. As more and more pictures of books are added can you imagine the following:

Census Data Base:

Search: X-Men #1 1963 9.8

Result: X-Men 1963 (Parent directory)

1. X-Men #1 9.8 (2) (result)

Select the number in parentheses and you are directed to the following serial numbers:

1. 0631963001
  2. 0000000000 (i don't have the # for the second one)

You can then click on the serial number and go right to the certification look up with all the books information. A nice clean searchable data base would be great and something no other potential competitor currently has, though beckett has feelers out currently (survey's) to select customers asking about more integrated (searchable) data base options for all of their products.

On 5/15/2023 at 9:47 AM, DougC said:
On 2/25/2023 at 8:18 PM, Tony "T" said:

I mean every signed book says who? and what! was written on cover of the book on the Slabs label. But CGC is saying they don't keep a register of that.

I think a better response from them is that they do not keep an active customer searchable register of what has been annotated on signature series books. This is quite close to something I asked about 15 years ago when I was curious about finding the serial numbers of books on the census to find which copy was graded first. CGC has and can pull up this information but chooses not to share it on the client side as it does not hold enough value for them to implement.

On the other hand they might not be able to implement this type of search feature due to just how old the framework of their database is. As it has aged it has become less and less intuitive functionally and they do not seem interested in upgrading its infrastructure in any customer beneficial way. As more and more pictures of books are added can you imagine the following:

Census Data Base:

Search: X-Men #1 1963 9.8

Result: X-Men 1963 (Parent directory)

1. X-Men #1 9.8 (2) (result)

Select the number in parentheses and you are directed to the following serial numbers:

1. 0631963001
  2. 0000000000 (i don't have the # for the second one)

You can then click on the serial number and go right to the certification look up with all the books information. A nice clean searchable data base would be great and something no other potential competitor currently has, though beckett has feelers out currently (survey's) to select customers asking about more integrated (searchable) data base options for all of their products.

That's good stuff.

CGC could even keep all of their existing search functionality, where you can search on X-Men 1, then click on the link for X-Men 1 from 1963, which then shows all of the census results for X-Men 1 from 1963. CGC would then just need to do everything else you described, i.e. allow the user to click on the census count for a given grading category and grade (such as count of 2 for universal / 9.8), which would then pop up another screen showing the serial numbers for the 2 universal 9.8 copies, and then allow the user to click on the serial number to pull up all of the available certification info for that book. The OP could then check out the other 41 CGC 5.0 SS X-Men #1 books to see if any others were noted as being signed & Excelsior by Stan Lee.

If they weren't tracking the 'extra quotes' internally from the beginning, its probably too late to even consider a searchable catalogue of it.  And even then, what about illegible quotes or misspellings? 

Also I don't think there's any GUARANTEED (financial) benefit to CGC for a searchable database of who signed what and how many.  It would probably more often (not always) go the other way.  People would look them up, decide there's too many of that book signed, then not get their book signed as they might feel it isn't special enough or rare enough or they prefer to buy on the open market.