• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are Comic Books 'Collectables' ? - or are they JUST Comic Books ?

90 posts in this topic

They are super fun collectibles. For me, doesn't matter if they are new or old. Collectible can mean many things. In my instance, they can be collectible for the read-ability, or collectible for a monetary value, or collectible as a completionist.

Pat

Well, lets see you find people collecting comics from all walks of life, so I don't think it is really that niche of a market in that sense. If you mean by niche, in the sense of being a subset of magazines, which is a sub set of periodicals then yes.

Sorry, misspelled in last post.

Y'know, it's a fair question. In other words, "Are comics too much of a niche market to be considered an average collectable?"

Nope, I don' t think so. Collectibles don't need mass appeal to yield big dollars. A small community of informed and enthusiastic buyers will almost always do the trick. How many of us, for example, know a whit about early modern globes? Scary what those things go for on the open market. Antique furniture, anyone? Who here has a clue? Again, huge bucks to be made with the right inventory.

The world is a big place, and there are lots of folks in it running around trying to buy stuff that they deem appropriate to their world. So I think we're safe. thumbsup2.gif

OA is imho considered part of the Collectables Universe BUT I do not think Comic Books qualify as such. Its all a matter of ATTRIBUTE positioning in the marketing scheme of things. This is one of the reasons why when people say OA needs comics to survive that I disagree. I really see comics as a isolated/marginalized/niche of collecting, akin to stamps.

KK

Timulty is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. He makes a great sheep. Doesnt critically examine almost anything. Responds based on first impressions and instincts. Only excuse would be if he is young - which I do not believe to be the case.

KK