• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales of Suspense 39
2 2

12 posts in this topic

Doing this for a friend. Has chipping on top and a small corner piece at the back missing.  To grade or not considering it is lower grade but presents nicely.  I am thinking around 3.5 or 4 but I don't know how to grade Marvels with chipping.

Thank you for your help.

BP-70C36_20230224_103218_0001.jpg

BP-70C36_20230224_103146_0001.jpg

Edited by nocutename

Grading with chipping is a case of determining how much CGC would deem average or normal and then count that as manufacturing, hence can be ignored (is my guess.)

This copy looks good for 5.0 I reckon. Some spine issues and wear around staple make me hesitant to go higher. (chipping looks low to average compared to some I've seen.)

Edited by LowGradeBronze

This is at least a 4.5 by appearance. I can see a grade or 2 higher b/c of its mid-silver age origin & the significance. The big keys often come in just a bit higher, and the chipping is pretty typical & not that bad IMO. I would say the best thing to do with this book isn't grading or not grading. It should be sent to me for safekeeping. I promise to give it a good home :shiftyeyes:

I agree with 5.0. Maybe even higher. Mega grails like this  are always worth grading no mater the condition. This particular book is a great looking copy that will present very well in a slab. Congrats to your friend and let us know the results!