• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This can't be allowed on a 9.6...right?
3 3

30 posts in this topic

I assume this book received a Blue label?

If you are referring to the piece missing on the outer edge then Yes, IMO, that should prevent the book from being a NM+ 9.6.

The question then becomes was that piece missing when the book was graded or did it happen after encapsulation?

IMO, a book that may otherwise be a NM+ 9.6 with an 1/8" piece missing is not going to be graded any higher than a VF/NM 9.0.

GD 2.0 - The largest piece allowed missing from the front or back cover is usually a 1/2" triangle or a 1/4" square, although some Silver Age books such as 1960s Marvels have had the price corner box clipped from the top left front cover and may be considered Good if they would otherwise have graded higher. 

GD/VG 3.0 -  A triangle from 1/4" to 1/2" can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" to 1/4" square is also acceptable. 

VG 4.0 - As much as a 1/4" triangle can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" square is also acceptable. 

VG/FN 5.0 and up - There is no mention of missing pieces.

On 3/1/2023 at 11:33 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Kinda tough to imagine how this flaw would appear while in the case.

I agree 100%.

I was thinking it may have been damaged during encapsulation but now that I look at more slabbed copies on Ebay, I see that this defect is present on many high grade copies, some worse than others.

Im going to guess its a common manufacturing defect?

I still dont agree with it though. 

Defects like this should always count against the book IMO.

And if a high percentage of copies have it, well, those copies should be ineligible for NM or better grades.

It seems like every book I buy now has some sort of issue that stresses me out.

Im trying to hang in there but collecting comics should not be stressful.

I also wanna add that I did see it in the pics but thought:

"It must be debris inside the slab...no way a 9.6 has that harsh of a defect."

:facepalm:

Edited by lostboys

Nothing to fold, the chunk is gone and every page is damaged.

Oh well, I needed a nice raw copy anyhow and it wasnt that expensive.

I also wanna add that the slab opened way to easily.

I just ran my finger nail along the opening and it popped right open.

It snapped back closed without sealant too.

Ill take a hammer to it when I get home.

The slab, not the book.

9_9

Wow.  If the case opened so easily, maybe someone slipped in a capsule with the torn copy in place of the 9.6. 

I have never had an easy time opening those cases, so that is very concerning that you were able to easily pry it open by hand, and also that it looks ok afterward, no signs of tampering.  The security of the system and its integrity would be in jeapardy.

On 3/1/2023 at 11:51 AM, lostboys said:

It seems like every book I buy now has some sort of issue that stresses me out.

Im trying to hang in there but collecting comics should not be stressful.

Just my opinion...

If you do not want to be stressed you should adopt a 1960's/1970's attitude towards collecting, that is, that they are comic books, meant to be opened, read, handled and enjoyed. Todays mentality is high grade only, perfect (NM+ 9.6/NM/MT 9.8), encapsulated books, how much are they worth and "OH NO!!!, a can barely see it defect", will I still get a 9.6? I can imagine the stress of buying new books and having to find the "perfect copy" and keep it that way, sending it for grading and hoping nothing happens to it along the way.

I imagine that the era you grew up in has a lot to do with your mentality towards collecting, here's hoping you can find more joy in collecting and a lot less stress.

On 3/2/2023 at 11:15 AM, marvelmaniac said:

Just my opinion...

If you do not want to be stressed you should adopt a 1960's/1970's attitude towards collecting, that is, that they are comic books, meant to be opened, read, handled and enjoyed. Todays mentality is high grade only, perfect (NM+ 9.6/NM/MT 9.8), encapsulated books, how much are they worth and "OH NO!!!, a can barely see it defect", will I still get a 9.6? I can imagine the stress of buying new books and having to find the "perfect copy" and keep it that way, sending it for grading and hoping nothing happens to it along the way.

I imagine that the era you grew up in has a lot to do with your mentality towards collecting, here's hoping you can find more joy in collecting and a lot less stress.

Whoa, take it easy there, Dr. Melfi !

:)

I collect what I like as most here do.

I like NM/NM+ books and im willing to pay the premium.

I collect mostly moderns, ASM aside, so it works for me.

~BUT~

I also have low grade/reader copies, reprints or TPBs for every graded book in my collection.

Edited by lostboys

• Administrator
On 3/1/2023 at 3:15 PM, lostboys said:

Nothing to fold, the chunk is gone and every page is damaged.

Oh well, I needed a nice raw copy anyhow and it wasnt that expensive.

I also wanna add that the slab opened way to easily.

I just ran my finger nail along the opening and it popped right open.

It snapped back closed without sealant too.

Ill take a hammer to it when I get home.

The slab, not the book.

9_9

Hi

Sorry to hear this happened to you.  I wish we had the opportunity to inspect the slab and book.  I guess it's too late now.  

Mike

On 3/2/2023 at 1:27 PM, CGC Mike said:

Hi

Sorry to hear this happened to you.  I wish we had the opportunity to inspect the slab and book.  I guess it's too late now.  

Mike

Hi CGC Mike.

This was not a book that I submitted but one that I purchased.

That said, I did not destroy the slab yet and would be more than happy to send you the empty slab if you provide me with a shipping label.

Id like to keep the blue label with the book but this is the cert #:

Edited by lostboys

• Administrator
On 3/2/2023 at 2:02 PM, lostboys said:

Hi CGC Mike.

This was not a book that I submitted but one that I purchased.

That said, I did not destroy the slab yet and would be more than happy to send you the empty slab if you provide me with a shipping label.

Id like to keep the blue label with the book but this is the cert #:

Hi

I will ask management to see if they want to examine the slab itself.  I am guessing they would have preferred the book and label as well.

Thanks,

Mike

If I was in charge of QC at CGC, or a high level manager, I'd want to take a look at this case that was sealed so securely that it could be opened with a fingernail, no tools, and clicks back together "like it was never even opened", no distinct evidence of tampering. I'd want to know how such a situation could exist in spite of all the supposed efforts to provide a secure, tamper-evident case.

I don't have any affiliation with CGC, not my reputation on the line, but things reported like this are a concern to the entire collecting community.