• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This can't be allowed on a 9.6...right?
3 3

30 posts in this topic

• Administrator
On 3/2/2023 at 2:02 PM, lostboys said:

Hi CGC Mike.

This was not a book that I submitted but one that I purchased.

That said, I did not destroy the slab yet and would be more than happy to send you the empty slab if you provide me with a shipping label.

Id like to keep the blue label with the book but this is the cert #:

The team would like to examine the 2 outer halves of the slab.  I am going to send you a PM, as I might have to go through customer service to get you a prepaid shipping label.

Mike

On 3/3/2023 at 9:20 AM, CGC Mike said:

BTW, I have been told that this is a production chip, which is evidenced by the same “chipping” through the interior pages. Very common, and allowable in 9.6.

Thanks for clearing that up. 

I was going to ask you to check with the grading team on that.

I dont agree with it because there is a chunk missing from the cover.

It is what it is.

On 3/2/2023 at 12:33 PM, lostboys said:

Whoa, take it easy there, Dr. Melfi !

:)

I collect what I like as most here do.

I like NM/NM+ books and im willing to pay the premium.

I collect mostly moderns, ASM aside, so it works for me.

~BUT~

I also have low grade/reader copies, reprints or TPBs for every graded book in my collection.

I am by no means trying to tell you what or how to collect, I was merely responding with my opinion on why comic books stress you out, I found that to be a bit sad since comic books are supposed to fun, if I offended you in anyway I apologize.

On 3/3/2023 at 10:52 AM, marvelmaniac said:

I am by no means trying to tell you what or how to collect, I was merely responding with my opinion on why comic books stress you out, I found that to be a bit sad since comic books are supposed to fun, if I offended you in anyway I apologize.

No problem at all, my friend.

:cheers:

On 3/1/2023 at 8:06 AM, marvelmaniac said:

I assume this book received a Blue label?

If you are referring to the piece missing on the outer edge then Yes, IMO, that should prevent the book from being a NM+ 9.6.

The question then becomes was that piece missing when the book was graded or did it happen after encapsulation?

IMO, a book that may otherwise be a NM+ 9.6 with an 1/8" piece missing is not going to be graded any higher than a VF/NM 9.0.

GD 2.0 - The largest piece allowed missing from the front or back cover is usually a 1/2" triangle or a 1/4" square, although some Silver Age books such as 1960s Marvels have had the price corner box clipped from the top left front cover and may be considered Good if they would otherwise have graded higher. 

GD/VG 3.0 -  A triangle from 1/4" to 1/2" can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" to 1/4" square is also acceptable. 

VG 4.0 - As much as a 1/4" triangle can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" square is also acceptable. 

VG/FN 5.0 and up - There is no mention of missing pieces.

The CGC grading guidebook appears to disagree significantly with this, although perhaps I am misinterpreting your post:

p. 284 describing a 9.0 - "a small 1/4" missing piece is allowed".

p. 288 describing an 8.0 - 1/2" x 1/2".

p. 296 describing a 6.0 - Accumulation of 1" x 1".

p. 302 describing a 4.5 - Accumulation of 2" x 2".

p. 308 describing a 3.0 - Accumulation of 3" x 3".

On 3/3/2023 at 7:14 PM, Tom789 said:

The CGC grading guidebook appears to disagree significantly with this, although perhaps I am misinterpreting your post:

p. 284 describing a 9.0 - "a small 1/4" missing piece is allowed".

p. 288 describing an 8.0 - 1/2" x 1/2".

p. 296 describing a 6.0 - Accumulation of 1" x 1".

p. 302 describing a 4.5 - Accumulation of 2" x 2".

p. 308 describing a 3.0 - Accumulation of 3" x 3".

I think the discrepancy is because marvelmaniac is giving the Overstreet Grading Criteria, which I find to be more conservative than cgc. 

I was going to mention that the tiny chip being discussed was clearly a printing defect. It is the way the book was right out of the printers.  CGC has always been more lenient on printing defects than defects that happen as a result of handling and storage.  Production chip and bindery tears are fairly common on vintage books and many a book with such graded 9.6. These defects on some issues are particularly common. It is hard for instance to find ASM 361's that do not have chips or tears along the bottom of the book. 

So this is not a new thing as far as grading goes. 

About eight months ago someone showed me a CGC graded book they had just got back (sent in under my account) where the outer holder was not sealed.  Encapsulation just made a mistake.  Book was encapsulated in the inner holder but the outer holder was put together but not welded (sonic?) shut.  First one I have ever seen and I have not seen once since - until probably now. I offered we could send it back in to be fixed, but it was such a novelty the owner wanted to keep it as is. 

Edited by Tony S