• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics 27 sales 2021-2022
2 2

39 posts in this topic

On 3/2/2023 at 11:08 AM, cigars&comix said:

I may be coming across a DC27 that someone wants to unload in Fair to GD- condition.

I cant seem to find too many sales for this book slabbed or raw. I checked ebay, HA, gocollect (non pro subscription) - Where should I be looking?

My guess is your mailbox on this site is lighting up.

On 3/2/2023 at 2:08 PM, cigars&comix said:

I may be coming across a DC27 that someone wants to unload in Fair to GD- condition.

I cant seem to find too many sales for this book slabbed or raw. I checked ebay, HA, gocollect (non pro subscription) - Where should I be looking?

The lowest grade recent sale I'm seeing on GPA was a 4.5 in January of 2022 for $1,140,000

If it were me and I was in a position to take a serious shot at that book, I would contact a few dealers who are known to swim in those waters and humbly ask for their opinions.  And it would be a very short list. 

Maybe even pay a consulting fee given the size of the investment we are talking about. 

Out of curiosity is it raw? 

On 3/3/2023 at 12:40 AM, KCOComics said:

The lowest grade recent sale I'm seeing on GPA was a 4.5 in January of 2022 for $1,140,000

If it were me and I was in a position to take a serious shot at that book, I would contact a few dealers who are known to swim in those waters and humbly ask for their opinions.  And it would be a very short list. 

Maybe even pay a consulting fee given the size of the investment we are talking about. 

I believe it is raw. He hasnt shown it to me yet. Its a person I do business with often so I have no reason not to believe him. I will have more info once he invites me over to look at it. May be a while. 

Contacting dealers is a good idea. I was thinking to reach out to Heritage as well, but too premature right now.

On 3/4/2023 at 4:32 PM, cigars&comix said:

Contacting dealers is a good idea. I was thinking to reach out to Heritage as well, but too premature right now.

Definitely too premature as you should probably first ask him for the cover price and the measurements to make sure it is not one of those Famous First Edition or a Millennium Edition of Detective 27.  :bigsmile:  :wishluck:

On 3/4/2023 at 4:32 PM, cigars&comix said:

I believe it is raw. He hasnt shown it to me yet. Its a person I do business with often so I have no reason not to believe him. I will have more info once he invites me over to look at it. 

If it an old time collector beware of amateur restoration in a low grade book.

On 3/3/2023 at 12:40 AM, KCOComics said:

If one were to get a 3rd party involved what would stop that 3rd party from snatching it themselves? I guess the only way would be to make a contract, but even then if it's a real good deal that wouldn't stop them. 

On 3/5/2023 at 8:21 PM, Professor K said:

If one were to get a 3rd party involved what would stop that 3rd party from snatching it themselves? I guess the only way would be to make a contract, but even then if it's a real good deal that wouldn't stop them. 

I don't think you need to tell them who is selling or where the book is.

But if I went and saw the book and felt comfortable it was a 2.0. Counted pages and felt certain there was no resto, there are a few people I would reach out to for help pricing.

It's such an expensive book, that without recent sales to point at, I would want to get opinions from a trusted few.... If you take your best shot and are off the mark by 10%, that's a 6 figure mistake. 

On 3/5/2023 at 5:21 PM, Professor K said:

The question you should be asking is: What are you trying to accomplish?

If you are going to be the dealer receiving this book as a consignment, all you need to do is look at Heritage, GPA and ask around and you'll starting getting some pricing infomation. My advice: Ask high, be ready to bargain down.

If you want to buy it yourself. let your conscience be your guide.  Realize that if you go to low, you might lose the purchase because any comic collector who owns a D27 (1) has a pretty good idea what its worth, (2) can figure that out by looking at Heritage sales, and (3) can always ask around including asking Heritage.  You should be doing the same thing, which is what you do appear to be doing.

I would not pay a dime to a dealer as a "consulting fee" just to tell me their opinion on the value of a comic.  That info is thrown out for free around here all the time.

I would certainly see no need to tell a dealer where the comic is coming from unless you want to risk being aced out.  

The only way I would involve another dealer is if you want to flip it and you need a partner.  And then, yes, I'd have an enforceable written contract.  And if the dealer screwed you, I'd be hiring  someone to represent me in the lawsuit (if it comes to that I'm a West Coast attorney, Esquirecomics is on the East Coast, you can find representation).

if someone is "unloading" such a big book, I doubt it would be to a guy who doesn't know how to find values of said big books ......and I doubt he wouldn't have scans/pictures of it sent over immediately

I'm calling BS on this

On 5/3/2023 at 4:15 PM, Dark Knight said:

Book can maybe benefit from a press

Oh, Mark Wilson took care of that when I went to his house 1982ish :ohnoez:If I would have saw in the future that restoration would become a no no I would have unloaded it for 2k in 1983 :pullhair: But no stupid me kept it. :makepoint:

On 5/3/2023 at 4:22 PM, woowoo said:

Oh, Mark Wilson took care of that when I went to his house 1982ish :ohnoez:If I would have saw in the future that restoration would become a no no I would have unloaded it for 2k in 1983 :pullhair: But no stupid me kept it. :makepoint:

You have a lot of regrets, Harold 😆 

On 5/3/2023 at 4:22 PM, woowoo said:

If I would have saw in the future that restoration would become a no no I would have unloaded it for 2k in 1983 :pullhair: 

Yep, I guess back then in the late 70's and early 80's, restoration was seen as adding value to a book, similar to how pressing is viewed today. hm

On 5/3/2023 at 6:07 PM, Primetime said:

But no stupid me kept it. :makepoint:

And as I've always said, time tends to heal most of your purchasing mistakes when it comes to the comic book marketplace.  :taptaptap:  :banana::whee:

Edited by lou_fine